The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I was all set to go with a new 4-WD F-150 ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

City/Region: san francisco
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: trucks from usofa Reply with quote

I have 2 trucks, a 1996 nissan with 275,000 miles that will not die, and a 1998 dodge 2500 turbo diesel. I only own the big one for large towing capacity. I love the cummins diesel, but the truck in all is just ok. As people chimed in , it is not unpatriotic to buy a japanese vehicle. Ask the people who build, sell,work on them,make parts for them etc. In my humble opinion there is a reason the japanese vehicles are so popular, they work ( well and for a long time, mostly problem free). sorry. Is it patriotic to buy an inferior product,then drive it down to walmart and fill lit up with everything chinese to feed our over fed under read families. I dont think so. Have A Good Day
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: trucks from usofa Reply with quote

newbie wrote:
I have 2 trucks, a 1996 nissan with 275,000 miles that will not die, and a 1998 dodge 2500 turbo diesel. I only own the big one for large towing capacity. I love the cummins diesel, but the truck in all is just ok. As people chimed in , it is not unpatriotic to buy a japanese vehicle. Ask the people who build, sell,work on them,make parts for them etc. In my humble opinion there is a reason the japanese vehicles are so popular, they work ( well and for a long time, mostly problem free). sorry. Is it patriotic to buy an inferior product,then drive it down to walmart and fill lit up with everything chinese to feed our over fed under read families. I dont think so. Have A Good Day

There is no question that every brand can be very good. I will turn this around a bit: the best truck I have ever owned is a 1978 Ford F-250. I bought it in 1995 and it had 250,000 miles on the original 351. Yep it was getting tired and it still is.......By the way, it has nearly 400,000 thousand on it and it is still going pretty good. It has the original transmission, transfer case, rear end, front end and most of the other parts. I am sure the Toyotas are far better and I have one that I got from my father as he is really old. It has been very good too. I will not state otherwise.

Truth is, I don't care what anyone buys, get what you want. Just don't be fooled into thinking the product over seas is head and shoulders above what our somewhat American companies are making now. They all make a fine product for the most part. The real question is, what country do you want to support? Argue, justify, and substantiate, which one again? I think you already said it.......
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best vehicle I ever owned as far as maintenance and durability was a 1988 Ford Ranger with the V-6. It had 220,000 miles on it when I traded it with no problems. I think the Mazda trucks are or were made in the same plant. I've got a 96 3/4 ton Ford 4x4 diesel I sometimes tow my 22 with and it's really over kill and rides like a tank. My Jeep Cherokee Hemi tows the 22 well but I've had a lot of maintenace problems with it and it's a gas hog but very comfortable. I think if I was looking for a tow vehicle strickly for the 22 or smaller I'd take a close look at the Ford Rangers. The 2 wheel drive v-6 model with 3.55 gear will tow 5860 lbs and the 4x4 model with the 4.10 gear will tow 5560 lbs. Of course I'd want trailer brakes with this smaller tow vehicle for any long distance towing.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every answer brings a whole new set of questions. Just where do the parts that make up the badged product come from? How do the trade policies effect the manufacturing base at home?. How do the unions effect management's decisions whether or not to outsource? How do the government's policy on health care effect the competitiveness of domestic manufacturing? And on and on. I met an 80 year old guy at the VA hospital who spent three years in a Japanese prison camp. He just bought a new Toyota Tacoma. When I asked him why, he said "sometimes you just gotta let it go and listen to Consumer Reports. Besides, I'm from Tacoma". As good a reason as any, I suppose.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
For those of you that constantly complain about the outsourcing of good American jobs, look in your driveway. If the car or truck says, Honda, Toyota, Nissan.........you think that might be part of the problem? I think so. But, in retrospect, at least your tow vehicle will match your outboard Smile

Honda, Nissan and Toyota all have USA factories and last I looked these factories are American jobs with American employees.

Pete in NY
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid about 20 I showed up at my dad's house with a VW I had just bought. My step mother immediately started giving me a lecture on buying American made products. She worked for Rambler (remember them). My dad was a WW 2 vet with a Bronze Star. Of course all they drove were Ramblers at the time. After Rambler went out of business all they bought were Toyotas. Myself I made a big part of my living building manufacturing plants in the USA hence my loyalty to American Made products. On the other hand my next door neighbor is a Union offshore tugboat captain. He makes his living bringing imported goods into the US so without foreign trade he'd be hurting. I think it all comes down to what affects you directly. In my case I don't even buy foreign made clothing if I can help it and that is a real challenge. It isn't patriotism at all to me it's simply my livelyhood. As someone said before the great thing about America is we have choice's. What does worry me is if everything is made overseas we will loose that choice.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin brings up another point that I didn't think to mention regarding the auto industry that also applies to many other American manufacturers and their products, viability, and economic health.

When faced with the obvious need to produce smaller, more efficient cars, American auto manufacturers often (maybe usually) just outsourced the manufacturing to another foreign manufacturer.

Why invest the $$$ in the design, tooling, and assembly line construction for a new vehicle when you can simply enter into a contract with an existing foreign manufacturer who makes a product on which you can simply change a few pieces of chrome on, put your own trademarks/logos on, and sell as a Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler product?

Nevermind what it does to the American workforce, but, as Marty adroitly points out, a myriad of factors complicate the decision of whether to import a Mazda with a Dodge badge on it, or have to build a new vehicle here in the USA with all the labor laws and countless other considerations.

Sooner or later, however, most consumers caught on to the scheme and just bought the foreign car itself, instead of the one wearing the "Buy-American" t-shirt on the outside. Remember the auto dealers with rows of American flags waving overhead?

This whole scenario was preceded by just about the same series of events in the electronics industry, as American TV, stereo, and other electronics manufacturers shut down their American factories and had everything built overseas: first in Japan, then Korea, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Mexico, etc.

Some folks on this site have found the discussions we're having about the Stock Market, Oh Oh (economic developments), and the like unnecessarily depressing and a distraction, but I'm convinced that the events that are happening are leading to a major economic reorganization world-wide, that Americans are going to have to look at their position in the world much differently in terms of economics, politics and militarily, and their pocketbooks and lifestyles are going to have to adjust accordingly.

And I don't want to walk into it blindly, or lead by some self-interested businessman telling me to by whatever he happens to have to sell for his profit.

I happen to believe we've got a a very talented group of people in our extended family here, and I'm anxious to hear from and discuss other folks views on just where we're going. And I'd rather talk it over with a group of mutually interested friends than an investment banker, stock broker, security salesman, or anyone else who is out to use my hard worked for and accumulated investments as a tool to earn commissions for his or her own gain. That's why I asked Bill all those questions above for openers. I trust him and his judgement more than anyone else I know on these matters.

I'm going to Eagle Lake today for a week of trout fishing, but will be back next Saturday evening. Enjoy discussing this topic regardless of which thread it comes up or continues under. It's a far better use of our time than trying to convince each other to vote for one or the other Presidential candidate, which mostly just becomes divisive and changes no on else's mind, anyway. And, on the upside, hopefully, Mike won't have to edit out any of the off the wall parts of the discussion, either!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tsargent

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Intrepid
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe...

I do believe I enjoyed reading (thrice) your last posting more than most I have scanned in months. Just a lot of calm logic there... Thanks.

toms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: