The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

So What Did You Do On or With Your Ranger Tug Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: I Talked To The Mechanic Reply with quote

I talked to the mechanic and he backed off from saying it took 3hrs to align the motor/shaft. Said it was poor communication with the billing department. He said it took 1.5 hours. Even 1.5 hours is a bit extreme.

He then said because it is a turbo he had to crack all the fuel injectors and remove the valve cover in order to adjust the valves. I looked at the engine today and all of the injectors and the cover our accessible.

I want to be sure I am not out of line before naming this company so if there are others who have completed your 50 hour service and you are willing to share the cost please chime in.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty had made an appointment with I-90 Marine in Issaquah for the 300 hour service on the BF150, who quoted $1,000. I could not believe that was even close to reasonable, so we called West Coast Marine in Bellingham - their quote (and they have been doing a lot of C-Dory service on Joe and Ruth's recommendation) was $300. I have no hesitation to name names coupled with objective facts about what they charged. I think we need to share this kind of information for the benefit of all.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I think we need to share this kind of information for the benefit of all.

Absolutely right!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also take part in a truck camper forum and they polled all the members about their dealers, service, prices, etc. and posted them. It is slowly starting to have an impact. Some of those that didn't fare too well are joining the forum and promising to do better. This forum, by comparison, has a huge membership and wields a lot of clout. It cost us a lot of hard earned dollars to earn that advantage and we should use it for the current members, and those in the future. I had experience with two dealers, one was dismal but EQ was outstanding. Stuff like that matters.
Vikingbaat

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: HAVNISSEN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I live in Colorado and have my R-25 in Edmonds I relied on others for advice on who are good people to do my 50 hour service.

Galley Marine did the shaft alignment, valve adjustment and belt check. Apparently the shaft needed alignment and two valves needed adjustment. Don't have the bill and hours required for the work yet (still in the mail), but I called and got the total. They charged me $482.03.

Edwards Marine Services in Edmonds changed the engine oil and transmission fluid including 2 new filters for $310. They charged me for two hours of labor, at $85 per hour, to do the work.

Total for the 50 hour service = $792.03.

I was told that hourly charges begin when the technician leaves the business and, I assume, until he gets back again. This was Galley Marine.

Live and learn.

Anders
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikingbaat wrote:
Edwards Marine Services in Edmonds changed the engine oil and transmission fluid including 2 new filters for $310. They charged me for two hours of labor, at $85 per hour, to do the work.
Anders

As a benchmark, marine engine service here in the greater San Diego area ranges between $95 and $100 per hour at most reputable shops and yes, if they go to the boat the clock starts ticking when they leave and stops when they get back.

The price we pay for living in Paradise.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
C-Sick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Replies Keep Them Coming Reply with quote

CSR Marine in Des Moines (Marina) reissued my bill but did not change the bottom line. They simply reassigned the hours spent.

Repair - 4.5 hours / $405.00
Changed engine oil & Flt.
Changed transmission oil & filter
Adjust bels and check valve clearances
Replace on engine fuel flt and Racor filter
Clean sea strainer
Adjust V belt
Check hoses and clamps
Test run

Engine Alignment -1.5 hours / $135.00
Check Engine Alignment
Found to be out of alignment
Adust engine alignment

4JH$-HTE/KMH4A gear

Materials
Filter -12.26
cartridge - 70.96
Racor Fltr - 21.00
Oil- 18.00
Trans Oil - 6
Recylce - 5
TOTAL _ 133.22

GRAND TOTAL 733.14

I think they gouged me considering the rest of you and your experience.
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Shaft Allignment Reply with quote

As it states in the "Yanmar Manual" That is part of there 50 hour service reccomendation. All of the shafts are aligned with a feeler gauge at the factory. We then Run the boats at the Factory and I then run the boat on the water for the day. Every boat we build we do this test. If I had the pleasure of running the same boat for four or five days I wouldn't be able to help all of the people I do on a daily basis. But unlike many other boat builders we get the pleasure of running every single boat made.
C-Sick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am long over due in thanking the entire Ranger Tug Team for their NORDSTROM like customer service. They have gone above and beyond the all of duty in trying to make things right for me as a new Tug Owner.

I had the usual issues with a new boat - a ground strap bolt that wasn't tighten all the way - the relocation of the cabin heater water pump to improve flow, and a bead of caulk needed in the shower.

Every issue they have responded by coming up with the right solution and completing the work in a timely manner.

They even went to bat for me when I had a clogged intake - (Lk Washington sea weed) which meant replacing the exhaust muffler.

Andrew has been the man on the scene and has worked with me in trying to establish what is fair and reasonable considering the 50 hour tune up.

My experience with Ranger to date tells me the willingness to bend over backwards to help the customer permeates the organization. In my conversations with them they are committed to trying to build this DNA into the company so that it is not lost during their growth spurts.

Living with Five Woman believe me I understand the Nordstrom approach to customer service. Plus we have a deal. Every dollar I spend on the boat they spend at Nordstrom.
EDBRADY

City/Region: Stratford
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: BRADY'S BUNCH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: 50 HOUR SERVICE Reply with quote

Had 50 hour service performed on my ranger 25 tug early July. I stopped off at the Old Lyme Marina on the Connecticut River on my way from the Houstonic River in Stratford, Ct to Block Island, R.I. Total bill including 2.5 hours labor was $296. This was the marina I purchased the boat from. Unfortunetly C-Ranger has seen fit to drop this fine marina from their list of dealerships.
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!

Took Island Ranger out yesterday from Sandy Hook (Cultus Bay, Whidbey), and cruised over to Edmonds to pick up our granddaughter for her first over night cruise. Ran into a large pod of Orcas on the way (just south of Foul Weather Bluff), first ever for us in Puget Sound. Spent the night in Port Townsend - and came back today. After dropping her off in Edmonds, we proceed to catch our first keeper (coho) salmon on the way back (in Browns Bay).

Soo... we can troll slowly enough for silvers with the Yanmar at 600 rpm, but it really feels too slow for the engine. I ordered a kicker mount today....

I think the mid cabin berth is just the greatest. We converted it to a berth for this weekend, but it is once again the most versatile storage locker around..

Mac
Belltown

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Moondance
Photos: Moondance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Cruising the Duwamish Reply with quote

We took advantage of Sunday's mild weather and made our first venture beyond Harbor Island and the bottom of Elliott Bay and down the Duwamish River. We've crossed bridges over the Duwamish countless times, but this was our first view from water level.

We were captivated by the well worn industrial surroundings, the little neighborhoods tucked in along the water, and fascinated by the number of bald eagles perched on light stanchions, and the several sea lions we watched fishing - and catching - salmon. The seagulls made them easy to spot as they scrambled (do birds scramble?) in for scraps.

Moondance, our R-25, was a head-turner, and it appeared many folks along the shore, in marinas, working barges, etc. hadn't seen such a boat before. Vicki was feeling right proud as she piloted us back up to Elliott Bay while folks tracked us.

We followed a large motor yacht most of the way in and felt even bigger that we usually do when the double draw bridge at 99 went up to let her through, with Moondance trailing a few hundred yards behind, making it under while both were still open. We followed her as far as Delta Marine where we watched her do a 180 and sidle up to the dock with her thrusters. Feeling somewhat full of ourselves, we spun a 180 in place with our thrusters before heading back out.

We hit Elliott Bay and enjoyed the last stretch of some great urban boating on our way back to Elliott Bay Marina.

I'll post some pictures in our album.

Cheers,

Bruce
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

How do you like that Livingston catamaran dinghy? How does it do with the Honda 2? That Honda 2 is a great little engine!

Belltown

C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Moondance
Photos: Moondance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neophyte boaters that we are, we don't have too much experience with it, or any experience for comparison. We've tooled around the marina a bit, and it seems fine. The dinghy is plenty stable and has lots of room. The engine seems powerful enough for our needs, but is noisier than I expected. I've been told that's to be expected with a 2HP engine, and they get quieter as they get bigger.

We chose the Livingston dinghy for a variety of reasons. I'm a photographer and wanted a stable tripod platform. We wanted something which would track well for rowing. But mostly, I was into the notion of having a Dave Livingston designed dinghy on the back of our Livingston designed boat.

Cheers,

Bruce
bobsboat

Photos: Bob's Boat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 50 hour service at North Island Boat Company at Skyline Marina near Anacortes, Wash. $411.91 included check valve clearance, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, oil, ATF transmission fluid. Did not check alignment. Bob B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: