The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inflatable Life Jackets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alhv23

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Inflatable Life Jackets Reply with quote

I am considering buying inflateable life jackets. Am interested in any opinions....good or bad you C-Brats might have and suggested brands and models that you can recommend.
.....Allan
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan,
I like the inflatables, especially for warm weather. I like Mustang brand. I have both types on my boat. I wear the standard float type jacket in cold weather and the inflatable in cool or warm conditions. I have three on my boat. When used by novices you need to remind them not to put any clothing on over the inflatable. The newest Mustang models inflate by hydrostatic pressure, so you must be immersed in water to activate. Just rain or damp weather will not set them off. One downside is the high cost of rearming. They need to be checked every time you use them and rebuilt every 5 years at a cost of about $50-60. This summer one of my fishing guests activated his vest accidently while jigging for halibut. The rod butt caught the manual lanyard and it worked as advertised. So there are some downsides to the inflatables but on the whole I prefer them because I am more likely to wear them due to the comfort factor.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Mustang line. I waited until they came out with their auto-inflate model before I purchased. As I recall it boasts 33# buoyancy. I believe that this class of pfd must actually be worn to satisfy USCG reqs. That's ok if you keep a conventional vest aboard that does(and doesn't have to be worn to count). The greatest thing about my inflatable is that I actually WEAR IT !!! The boat show is the best place to get one. You can try them all on and talk to the factory reps. Best prices too !

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used inflatible life jackets for the last decade (sounds great, doesn't it?) They're the only way to go. I will say that we've never needed them, but then that would be true for the normal kind. They're also great for the inflatable boat.

Bought them from Defender, during the spring sale. Got the automatic kind, cheaply. After we sold the sailboat, we got some without the tether. West marine is expensive, and you have to buy their brand.

You do have to wear them when the CG stops you to have them count. Since we usually carry 4 normal kind for guests, kids, strays, etc., that's not a problem.

We tried life jacket jackets in the kayak, and they were too hot.

Boris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan-

Some previous discussion to add to this one:

Auto-inflatable PFD choices (4 pages)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inflatable Life jacket is comfortable. If you have a comfortable life jacket, you will wear it all the time when you are boating. If you life jacket is not comfortable you will not wear it.

Enough said.

Fred

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Inflatable PFD's Reply with quote

Allan

We have inflatables by mustang, with the harness, and wear them 100% of the time on the boat. Comfortable, especially in warmer weather, and less bulky. They do have to be worn to count, if USCG is checking. Love them.

We also carry and occasionally wear (depending on conditions) the offshore, non inflatables, both have strobe lites, and whistles attached, and we carry two handheld VHF's, waterproof.

Harvey
SleepyC

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Stormy Seas ( I believe that is the correct brand ) that I have been using for years. I check the manual valve when I go offshore to make sure air will hold, and that is it. It is super comfortable, just like a good jacket.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the "pouch" type inflatable for the last 6 years. They are very comfortable around the waist and after a while you don't notice that you have them on. We have some "around the neck" -- mustang type pfd's, but they are a bit more bulky.

We are used to trawler speeds - so we needed something that was comfortable for long trips.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: