The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

WEST SYSTEMS, NOT West Marine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: WEST SYSTEMS, NOT West Marine Reply with quote

Many of us do lots of stuff with Fiberglass, from repair to new construction on our boats. A resource that I found (many of you probably know of it, particularly Dr. Bob, so this is for those that have not yet discovered it) is a FREE (yes FREE!) publication from West Systems.

It's called Epoxyworks, a magazine that comes out twice a year and has all sorts of interesting articles, mostly related to boating (although in the latest issue, they told how to repair your hockey stick). It also reviews new products (from West Systems). It's quite technical and very informative.

You can get a free subscription in lots of ways, the easiest is on line

HERE.

I have no financial or other interest in this company or this product, simply passing along info to fellow (and sister) brats! I think THIS WEBSITE has a searchable feature of past articles if you're looking for somthing in particular.

The latest issue, Summer 2007, has a great article on two brothers who built 30' Cats aqnd powered them with 30HP Yami 4 Strokes and could do 19 knots and get 10-14MPG! It would carry 2000 Lbs of payload and only drew about 11" of water!

Of course, they aren't the only ones making these products, just one of the best and most diverse I've found!

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks charlie,
i've signed up for their info.
pat
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

I've been using West Systems products for over twenty years and love the stuff. I always have one of their Maxi-Packs on the boat and camper. It has enough product for six individual repairs.

I also took a professional boatbuilder's repair seminar from them at their factory in MI and learned a great deal. Their torture testing equipment to make sure their epoxy can take it is fascinating.

By the way, the brothers you mentioned who built the cat are the owners - Jan and Meade Gougeon. I sailed with Jan on his trimaran a number of years ago.

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats great ! I use West Systems for everything.... epoxy is so much easier to work with than polyester resin plus it's lots stronger and does not have the horrid smell of polyester... the results just are great....
Been using them for several years ...I buy the stuff at West Marine but I am sure it is available at lots of marine stores...

Joel
SEA3PO
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New WEST SYSTEM Product HERE

This is epoxy in a caulking tube, that mixes it as it comes out, and handles like West 105 with the Silica Filler, that prevents sagging, etc. With a pot life of about 42 minutes, it would be ideal for us to use in filling the balsa core around holes drilled in our hulls. I haven't used it yet and it probably won't be available for awhile (new this month) but I will when I can get my hands on some. Not cheap at $20.50 a tube but a lot easier than mixing your own. It's apparently reusable (the tube that is) if you're careful when you put it away.

It was featured in the latest issue of EPOXYWORKS (see top of this thread) which isn't online yet.

No, I have no financial interest in WEST SYSTEMS, I am just an avid user of their products.

Charlie
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think West Systems is great.

However, here is another marine epoxy system: System Three . I used it and it's cheaper than WEST Systems. Just as good.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this with West Systems Epoxy, but many adhesives and sealants keep well in the freezer (My wife gave me a small section I can use for my various sealants etc). As long as the two components have not mixed, the tube should be re-usuable.

On the other hand, I keep a gallon can of epoxy and hardener handy and just mix up the consistancy I need. I agree that System III is a good product--one becomes used to using one system and is comfortable with that.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: