The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

report on wallas repair and why I hate the Finnish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: report on wallas repair and why I hate the Finnish Reply with quote

Ok as many of you know i have a love hate relationship with my Wallas cook top heater. First year it worked great and I loved it. Next year it stopped working and I had to take it apart several times and in the end I had to run it down to Seattle, two 60 mile round trips, to get it repaired. This is when Carl was running the shop and they could not find anything wrong with it. I ended up taking it apart again and the glow plug was shorting out on something. Carl was of no help what so ever. When I asked about a manual, not a install how to, he told me that I should never touch it and only send it to him. I really dont like not being able to work on it my self.

The next year it stopped again and I had to take it in again after trying to figure it out my self. The Dealer had changed hands but Carl had taught them well and the only thing that they could say was " its the voltage" or "bring it in" well I brought it in and it cost me $300 for a new mother board. Agian no help with trouble shooting it and again two 60 mile round trips.

This year it started to act up again and was working on and off all summer. Some times it would run, sometimes not. At first it would only start if the lid was up. Then it would only start if the main engine was running. Then it would try to light by never get pass the start up stage. It would pump fuel then shout down and never light. Then we got to the red light flashing as soon as you hit start. Again the only two lines they know at Scan marine is " voltage drop" "and bring it in" Well after doing what little I can I took it in. 120 mile later and $300 lighter I have it back. I have not put it in yet. What I really hate about this is that there is not trouble shooting guide. It seems the problem this time was a bad switch on the lid. Look at photos of the removed switch. Looks like a little water got in there, damm crab. The bad side faces up into the unit under the glass and you can not see it from the outside. You would easlly miss looking at this if you did not know about it.

When you hit start the computer ask the stove what postion the lid is in, is the glow plug grounded?, do we have X amount of voltage? etc... So if the computer gets a No answer it shouts down. Well it it can do that then it can tell me what broke so I can look at it or replace it, but noooo the damm finns what you and I to go to the local dealer to get our wallet lightened. I want a trouble shouting guide for this thing but they say it does not exist. I know some one has one some where at the dealer. So if you are not getting your wallas to light off this is one more thing to check before you send it off to get fixed. The part was only $80 the rest was labor. I takes $220 dollar to remove two screws and unhook this part. Thats about 54cents a second for a two mintue job or $1944 a hour. Ok I feel better for now

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Origo alcohol stove seems to light everytime. Stuff cooks, water boils, coffee's made in the morning. I don't know where the computer is in it but when I find it I let you all know.
Eric

Last edited by helm on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could start our own trouble shooting guide. Check power to the on/off switch.

1. one year I found the power lead under the battery instead of attached to the + post. (Missed it when I re-hooked up the batteries).

2. Badly corroded 20 amp fuse in the power lead, next to the batteries, outside in the lazzerett. (new fuse and dielectric grease)

Neither of these problems would have showed up if I had taken the unit in for repairs.

Other than my stupidity and a leaky water proof fuse case: 5 years of great service!

It's something in the water!
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I wish I had gone with a gas or propane cook top and another source of heat. to late for that now.

As for the trouble shooting guide I know how to tell if you have enough volts at start up. just place the leads of a volt meter in the postive and negitive plug on the mother board. you should have 12.5 volts plus with a full battery. now hit the start switch and if the volt meter drops below 10.5 it will not start. You need to check the wire and leads between the unit and the battery for corrositon. if you do have 10.5 or more then you have a different problem. Any other tips.
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that Hurts!! I LOVE THE FINNS!!!!! 28 years
mmitchell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Response
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have been busy making coco on my wallas. I got it back and put it in and It works again. fished today, no luck, but I was warm for once.
mmitchell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that your up and running again. We have used ours all day and night most of the summer from May untill this weekend. Have not had any problems at all. I go through about 9 gallons of klean fuel a summer.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

The Fins have brought us Rapala fishing lures and fillet knives, Nokia cel phones, good vodka, saunas and many other things. In addition, they must be one of the more attractive populations on earth (but I digress). In any event, I wouldn't let your experience with your Wallace color your entire attitude towards the fins....

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good vodka" is like saying good crack! Dam waste of a good potato. I hate Cell phone because I have to live on one. Your right about the lures but are they still made there? as far as the girls go my Irish wife would disagree with you, but I would not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: