The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yanmar verses Cummins
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckollerer

City/Region: Rio Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Photos: Blue Bayou
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: cummins 150 hp Reply with quote

Just a post from Lake Powell, where we had two Ranger 25 tugs, both with the Cummins 150, at the C-Brat gathering of 20 boats. For myself, I am totally satisfied with the performance of my Cummins 150. I have topped out at 22 mph, but generally stay more in the mid- to high-teens in mph. I have not yet filled the 75 gallon tank full and had my fuel consumption exceed 2 gallons per hour for the whole tankful, despite a blend of high speed, low speed cruising and docking manuvers. Blue Bayou
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - can I buy just about 2 square inches and stick it in my ears? Laughing

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really telling number on Tom's web site between the 130 and 150, is at 3000 RPM--the 150 is 15.5 knots, the 130 is 12.3. At 15.7 knots the 130 is turning 3500 and burning slightly more fuel. As you load the boat, the speed will decrease some-so the difference will be even more. In my mind I would get the 130 if I wanted to cruise in the 8 to 10 knot range, and the 150 if I wanted to kick it up to 15 to 17 knots. It will be interesting to see what "real life" fuel consumption will be. Many of the tests are optimistic because of light loads and absolutely clean hulls.

Considering the space around the genset, problably 1" thick foam would be enough. The real difference with this type of insullation is the double foam, with mylar on the surface and the vinly impregnated lead in the middle. We used to use actual lead, nailed to 3/4" plywood, and then foam/mylar inside. The combination vinly works as well and is easier to work with. We made complete 3/4" plywood boxes for both the main engine and 8 kw genset on our Cal 46. This vs an already insullated walk in engine room, with the Home depot type of insullation. The vinly foam, brought the sound down so you could use normal conversational levels in the main saloon and nav station, right next to the engine room.

West Marine also has the foam/vinly, http://www.marinefoam.com/ also has multiple sound proofing products. http://www.acousticalsource.com/boat-soundproofing.html Another set of products

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
Wow - can I buy just about 2 square inches and stick it in my ears? Laughing

Hah! That will keep you from hearing your engines AND your crew!

I look at it this way - you'll probably spend $5k by the time you're done installing a genset and hooking it up. If you end up spending $5,500 because of some very expensive insulation, did that really change your life? I doubt it. But for the rest of your ownership of the boat, that extra $500 really will change your life, allowing you to enjoy your boat more.

On the engine options, I agree with Bob. If I bought a Ranger 25, I would want the 130, and I would plan on it being a slow speed boat, cruising at 7-8 knots. If necessary, I could open it up almost all the way and actually get somewhere at 15 knots, but only by making more noise and burning more fuel than the 150 hp engine would use. Anyone who plans to cruise in the teens will want the 150.

Those performance numbers were provided by Ranger, and the boats are not loaded with cruising supplies for the tests. I would like to verify them, but I'm not going to take a brand new boat out and run it wide open.

acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Cummins vs Yanmar Reply with quote

I think everyone has answered the questions very accurately. We did install a only "one" of those Yanmar 100hp engines. And that is a local customer of ours here in Washington State. Other than that everything was the 125 and 110 hp Yanmar's. If you are looking for a used Ranger with the Cummins that is going to be tough to find. We started those Cummin's in the Early to Late 70's (Hull #'s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: