The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

diesel fill opening too small

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capnruss

City/Region: Largo
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Popeye
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: diesel fill opening too small Reply with quote

I went to get fuel today for the first time since I purchase the boat and the fuel nozzle would not go into the opening. I managed to wedge it in and pumped the fuel in very slowly. Finally got it full. Anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for it that any of you have found? the guy at the fuel dock said he had never seen a problem like that of my boat and he had worked there 8 years!
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: diesel Reply with quote

Are you sure you put in diesel fuel . I think the nozzels are different sizes .I hope i'm wrong . I would check other filling stations . You probably have done that . Call the factory
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: fuel fill Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but at the various stops for fuel I have made, (total now of 16) all have been difficult. The vendors often tell me that this is not uncommon...many boats have this difficulty. I just do it slowly, with a sponge cloth to absorb any run off.,,something the factory ought to be able to correct in future models, i would think.

terraplane on BANJO, R 25
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are basically two sizes of nozeles at the pumps. The larger are for high flow, and are too big for most of the smaller (1 1/4") fill hoses. You can use a funnel--and that is what I used for many years for my sailboats--there is a secondary feature--and that is some funnels have water separators or filters on them.

Rather than a sponge or rag--use a adsorb pad, as you use for oil in the bilge. Many marina fuel docks have 1/4 of these available for your use to avoid spills.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
Are you sure you put in diesel fuel . I think the nozzels are different sizes .I hope i'm wrong . I would check other filling stations . You probably have done that . Call the factory

I vaguely remember that when they came out with cars intended to run on unleaded fuel by in the 70's they made the intake inlets for the new cars smaller and the unleaded fuel nozzles smaller, so that the old style leaded fuel nozzles wouldn't fit into the new cars. Later, everything went over to the new, smaller nozzles, which also fit into the older car's larger intakes.

The diesel nozzles probably remained unchanged, and are larger than those for unleaded gasoline.

So does that mean you have a smaller fuel intake installed by mistake that was made for unleaded gas?

The small nozzles for unleaded gas will fit into a diesel intake, but not vis'-a-vis'.

JennyKatz is right, call the factory!

Hope everthing works out for you!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a high volume nozzle versus a diesel inlet made for a vehicle. With my diesel truck I have to watch for the large diameter nozzles at certain stations that cater to large trucks.

I run into the same issue with unleaded gas at the Cordova commercial fuel dock. They don't normally sell 40 gallons of gas to a C-Dory. They more often sell 300 gallons to a bow picker. Their fuel nozzles a tight fit on the C-Dory and too fast a flow rate will come out the overflow.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a Baja filter, it will solve your problem and you should really be doing it anyway to protect your tank from contaminates.
www.bajafilter.com
Also look at this practical sailor article
http://www.practical-sailor.com/sample/Fuelfilter.html
Hope it helps
Eric
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The origional "Baja filter" was a 8" deep, x 8" wide x 24" long SS box. There were 3 dividers, each of which had five 2" holes in them covered with fine bronze screens, in decreasing size in each hole in the box. The last section had a 1 1/2" pipe which fit into the fuel tank fill--with the box sitting on the deck. This filtered the fuel quite well, and trapped any water which may have been in the fuel. We used this type of filter for many years in Mexico--but more recently the fuel supplies in Mexico have become more reliable (not as much out of old 50 gallon drums).

This is a bit large to use on a C Dory or Ranger. I have used the plastic filters/funnel as described in the Practical sailor article more recently. This also is faily effective at trapping water. We tried the more modern, round Baja filter and found it was more awkward, and did not work as well as the older box filters. When the upper part was full of fuel, the filter was a bit unstable. The problem with any of these filters, is that they slow the intake of fuel, but this may be a necessity with small fill ports.
evilskier

City/Region: Petoskey
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage a fuel dock and our diesel pump is larger than the gasoline. we go with averages, most diesels fills average more than 500 gallons and you need the higher volume (larger nozzle). 99% of vessels that take on diesel have a larger fill that the will accept the nozzle. The remaining vessels have a smaller fill which you have to very careful and dispense slowly (mostly sailboats, some small trawlers)

not too big a deal, when you only need 18 gallons, i could fill up a 21ec in less than a minute, dispensing sloooooooooowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: