View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce Reply with quote

Had a few folks asking about the basting sauce I brought for the pulled pork at the Sequim gathering...here's the recipe, pulled it from the Cookshack Forums.

It's great on chicken as well, either as a serving sauce or marinade.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

* 4 cups apple juice
* 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoon dry mustard
* 4 tablespoon brown sugar
* 3 bay leaf
* 6 cloves of garlic
* 2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure was good stuff, Bill. Any tips on how to cook the pulled pork?

Looking forward to having you slow-cooking & smoking up here full-time!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Any tips on how to cook the pulled pork?

It's soooo easy...with the right stuff.

Now...this is the nerd way. That is, I read this stuff on the Internets, and for once, it was right on the mark. I don't claim to be a Byrdman by any means...perhaps he'll chip in with the voice of experience.

1. Buy a Cookshack - I got the SM009, saved a few bucks getting it at the Charcoal Store. It's deceptively big on the inside, even though it looks tiny on the outside...it will easily handle 20+ lbs. of meat.

2. Buy a remote thermometer. I picked up the Maverick ET-73 from the Charcoal Store, but any model will do. Just need to be able to monitor the smoker and food temp without opening the door.

3. Line the smoker floor and wood box with foil, otherwise cleanup will be nasty. Poke a hole in the foil on the bottom for the drippin' drain/pan, and season the smoker per the included instructions.

4. Git yer pork butt. Costco has real nice boneless ones, in a cryo two-pack - usually about 6-7 lbs. a piece. I've read Sam's Club does as well. Seems like the pros like to get them "bone in" - I can't find them that way.

5. Rub liberally with your favorite dry rub, and toss both butts in the smoker at about 8:00 the night before you want to eat at 200F. Add a small amount of your favorite wood - it doesn't take much, as the Cookshack is sealed incredibly well. Stick the remote thermometer probe in the smallest one, and set the alarm to go off at 195F. Go to bed.

6. Wake up, and crank the smoker up to 225F. Sometime that day before dinner, they'll be done. Don't open the door on the smoker until the meat temp hits 195. Check the butt with the probe in it in several more places, and if it registers close to 195F everywhere, pull it out. Check the other butt - if it needs more time, leave the probe in it and close the smoker back up, waiting for the 195F alarm again.

7. If you want to eat ASAP, let the butt sit for 30 minutes, then pull it apart, mixing up the crusty outside bark with the moist innards. If meal time is a ways off, double wrap the cooked butt in foil, then paper towels, then newspaper, then stick them in a small cooler. They'll stay warm a looong time, and you can pull them apart when serving. The butts at Sequim had been in the cooler for 3-4 hours, and were plenty warm enough at dinner time - I've read they'll stay reasonably warm up to 6 hours.

Now...the leftovers. This is one of those "better the next day" kinda thangs. Assuming you like the sauce at the top of this thread, dump a little in with the leftover pork in a ziploc, and toss it in the fridge. When ready for your sammich, yank some out, microwave for a minute or so, and toss it on top of a toasted roll with your favorite BBQ sauce. 'Scuze me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard...

As an aside...I've been experimenting with the Cookshack for smoked salmon. I was using a Little Chief before, with decent results...but this thing blows it away. I'm still fine-tuning a few things, but I'll post a follow up on the fish later on.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill , try this for about 24 hours with the salmon .Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce for chicken from Thailand . Was one of my faves back in the day when I was a Norcal guy .
http://www.importfood.com/samp1001.html Any brand will do . At your favorite oriental market.
Marc

Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks tasty, Marc...I work in the middle of Chinatown, so I'll snag some and give it a try.

Long term, I want to make my own rubs/sauces, but I recently ordered up some stuff from Dinosaur BBQ in NY after reading many positive reviews - excellent stuff. I picked up several flavors, and they've all been pretty dang good.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, thanks for the great tips. I never heard of the Cookshack but I have been lusting after a Bradley Smoker. Anyone know how they compare?

Warren
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe and the store is new to me, too
I have Cajun water smoker from 78
http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-850-7000-1-CookN-Charcoal-Smoker/dp/B00002NC56 (new version)
It is a no frills unit and very simple to use and clean.

It uses charcoal and has an electric element. I use apple wood
chunks and it works fine and still remember the first turkey cooked during a bitter cold Thanksgiving. I used 40 lbs of charcoal and started cooking the night before and had invited several friends over for dinner. When I placed it on a platter, all of meat fell off the bone and it looked like I dropped but we ate if all. It was delicious wo any add-on sauce.

A neighbor discard a SS Brinkman b/c of a bad element. I asked him if I can have it thinking of converting to a charcoal. However, upon inspection, the element had a bad wire and was a simple fix so it is heading to FL the next time we leave.

I usually let the meat speak for itself but will try the sauce on the side.

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Bradley for maybe 5 years . It rocks .Very versatile , with maybe the only drawback you are a slave to their "pucks" .But it has never failed to work well . There are a lot of good cooking/smoking devices out there,if I had a Cookshack I am sure I would be happy .I do like the "remote" smoke source. If you go Bradley , I would go analog , not digital . I am glad I don't have to make that decision again . Many good choices .
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: