The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R-21 - Crane/Hoist Launch, Lifting Padeyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slackwater_SF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: R-21 - Crane/Hoist Launch, Lifting Padeyes Reply with quote

Does anybody crane launch the R-21EC?

I visited the factory and the gentleman said the R-21 is lifted by:

a) bow eye (trailer padeye) and the
b) two (2) stern padeyes (trailer tie-down points)

in a vertical lift, using separate hoists for the bow and stern. My sensitivity is using the same bow trailering padeye when the line has to go at a 45-60° from vertical. Figure the stern is probably strong enough, but ...

May I please ask for a description if you added special padeyes?

Otherwise, who do I call at the factory to engage in a consultancy for $X00 for assistance.

Trying to figure out if crane launching is feasible. The local hoists go from 4000 to 6000 lbs.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a cradle or slings as most people do?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin is absolutely right--that strap/slings are a much better option--even if you have to have your own slings.

For the most part when boats are crane lifted from strong points these are specficly engineered points. These involve the geometry so that the cables do not hit the hull or any parts of the boat. For example many sail boats will have two eyes in the keel for lifing thru the main hatch. Many launches have an eye on deck, with heavy threaded rod going to a point in the keel or some other part of the structure. I have had dinghies which I pulled (only about 400 lbs) with a crane and spreader bar. There was a lifting point on the top of the bow (not the bow eye) and the top of the stern. Many inflatables, have an eye in the hull, inside (not the bow eye) and top of the transom with lifting points. These are far lighter boats than the R 21.

The geometry is just not there for lifting with the bow eye and stern eyes. There could be a disaster, if the boat began to rotate, let alone any wear of the cables on the gel coat. I believe that you could design a proper system--but the slings are so much easier--you will probably still need a spreader bar to be sure the boat is balanced.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Slackwater_SF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: R-21EC Crane Launch: Lifting Straps vs. Harness w/Shackles Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
Why not use a cradle or slings as most people do?

Lifting straps are a valid option (assume lifting straps = cradle-slings). Lifting straps take more time to set up, center, ... than a lifting harness that clips to hard points. A lifting harness that clips to hard points does not slip on the hull. Main item is setup, take-off time for launching from a crane hoist.

I have a set of lifting straps, twenty one feet (21') eye to eye, about eight inches (8") wide.

[/code]
Slackwater_SF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: R-21EC Crane Launch: Lifting Harness w/Clip Attachments Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
(del.text) I believe that you could design a proper system--but the slings are so much easier--you will probably still need a spreader bar to be sure the boat is balanced.

Lifting straps around the hull, slings, are a valid option. However, I prefer not to own a spreader bar.

Objective is crane launch w/Lifting Harness on hard points. Your item about gel coat abrasion is true. ~Plan is chafing gear, Amsteel or amsteel-blue line. Could use straps with snap-ons for the chafe issue. Lifting straps can be used for a while. The lifting harness may not be achieved depending on ...

Is there an standard consultancy agmt w/Ranger Tugs for engineering for a few $X00 so it is done correctly?

Thank you in advance,
marvin4239

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I don't understand what type lifting device you are attempting to use. I've lifted a lot of boats with just straps using a conventional boat lift with the two inch pipe and stainless 1/4 cable attached to the straps via pulleys. Once set up you leave it set up. The straps that are designed for this are usually weighted in the center section with lead sewn into the strap. You simply lower the boat into the water and back out from under the straps. On returning to the lift you insure the straps are low enough and pull up on them hit the up button and away you go. No rigging involved. As far as length of straps you want them long enough to clear the gunnel's so the pulley doesn't come in contact with the gel coat. Go to www.Lumarboatlifts.com to see what I'm talking about. My straps for my 22' are 4 inches wide and 16' or maybe 18' long don't remember the exact length. Hey I posted before I saw you are lifting with a crane. Spreader bars in my opinion are a pain to deal with and dangerous but one would probably be necessary with a single point lift.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is lifting with a single crane (such as a truck crane, public pier, or yacht club single point crane) then a square spreader set is necessary for slings. For a single crane and two lifting points, especially as long as the boat, the crane may require a spreader bar, because of the geometry of the angle of the cables from the stern and bow lifting points. With a spreader bar, the lift is directly straight up from the lifting point, to the bar, then from the balance point up to the block on the crane. If you have 10 feet of cable, it may exceed the vertical lift capacity of the crane, to clear the trailer etc; plus the loads are compressive on the hull both fore and aft, as well as athwartships in the bow. If he is using two cranes, as often used in seawalls in canals in Florida, then a spreader bar keeps the slings from compressing the hull (and cracking it) If you use two lifting points, with a single crane (as I have with dinghies or Boston Whalers, then you need a spreader bar to balance the boat and attatch the cables from the stern and bow lifting points.

If you assume that he has the canal side type of set of crane davits, not a lift. I have both at my house--and use the two crane lifts for a small boat. f In that case, I have a bridle aft, and a single point foreward. The crane davits are equally apart as the length of the boat, and each lifts up straight. Thus no spreader bar is necessary.

I believe that it would be possiable to take a single lifting eye on the foreward deck of the R 21 and attatch it at the lowest point to a plate glassed into the anchor locker/bottom of the hull, near the bow eye, where it is re-enforced. Boris picked up his expanded C dory by the bow eye--but the boat was light. If I was going to pickup the boat by the bow eye, I would certainlly want to re-enforce it--or have assurance that it was strong enough to allow direct lift dead lift weight. When you put two lines around the bow, into the eye, there are several problems--one is the mechanics of putting it thru the eye, unless you leave it there alll of the time. the second is not only gel coat scratching, but also compression load inward on the hull. The boat might take it--or it might not? That is why so many of the classic launches had the bow lifting eye on the top of the foredeck--it was also a cleat--it had threaded rod, and went right down to the keel and stem junction.

The stern eyes, if high enough and re-enforced may well be OK with out a spreader bar. Often there are the external eyes for towing and internal eyes for lifting. What is the objection to a short (equal to the beam where the boat is lifted) spreader bar? I carried a 14 foot spreader bar on my larger boat to launch the shoreboat--it was never a problem. Your bow spreader bar would be only a couple of feet long and would negate any compression on the hull structure at the bow.

Large yachts pick up much larger shore boats than the R 21 on a regular basis. They utalize proper lifting eyes. Even the RIB's come with these eyes.
I have an 18 foot Center console, which wet weight is 2600 lbs-very close to the R 21. I would not consider using Amsteel cable thru my bow eye around the deck and to a lifting point to hoist this boat out of the water--there would be too much compression on the bow railings/glass structure, even though this is the light end of the boat. Most yacht clubs would not allow you to use this type of set up either. If you had a lifting ring, yes. Our yacht club requires a spreader bar (running fore and aft) for the type of lift you are considering.

The factory will be more than happy to answer your questions-Andrew Custis
Customer Service Manager is your man to contact. andrewcustis@rangertugs.com 253-839-5213

Let us know what you find and decide to do. Interesting problem.
marvin4239

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link I previously gave for boat lift information isn't correct the correct link is www.lunmarboatlifts.com I don't have any interest in these guys other than having bought a lot of lift items from them.
Slackwater_SF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
The link I previously gave for boat lift information isn't correct the correct link is www.lunmarboatlifts.com I don't have any interest in these guys other than having bought a lot of lift items from them.

Thank you and appreciated. I found the company after you posted, details about those urls, picky. It's the hassle of a piece of equipment that I don't want to pick up by hand, store it (on trailer while afloat, but the main storage place is on the trailer), protect it from weather blah blah blah. The bars are valid pieces of equipment.
Slackwater_SF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
If he is lifting with a single crane (such as a truck crane, public pier, or yacht club single point crane)

Even the RIB's come with these eyes.

The factory will be more than happy to answer your questions-Andrew Custis Customer Service Manager is your man to contact. andrewcustis@rangertugs.com 253-839-5213

Let us know what you find and decide to do. Interesting problem.

Your data point on Andrew Custis is good, thank you.

You wrote "single crane", yes. I have a storage space on dry land at a marina on SF Bay with cranes. This is not:
    use of a boat yard mobile travel lift (with two (2) slings), or
    private residence.

March 2008 I went to the Ranger factory. The gentleman shared how the factory lifts the boats, using the existing padeyes, bow and stern..

The Jack London Square Fall Boat Show is this week. There are other boats with lifting points for a lifting harness. You mentioned RIB's have the eyes built-in. One alternative is get a lighter boat (?RIB?).

Another alternative is buy a truck to ramp launch, but ... it is SF Bay, salt water, and ... blah blah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: