The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sea Dory Catalina Adventure - Aug. 08

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonamccoy

City/Region: LaHabra Heights
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Sea Dory Catalina Adventure - Aug. 08 Reply with quote

August , ‘08 C-Dory Catalina Adventure
I remember this summer when Mike said, “It is the ocean I need,” and we went to the ocean. We visited a little town up North, called Pt. Arena. It was right on the coast but it seemed to say, “Here is not where your heart is”. Florida was our next destination and we explored the waters of the pan handle but it seemed to say, “I do not have what you are looking for.” South Carolina was a family reunion and we enjoyed boating on Lake Keowee but Mike was still discontent.
Finally, we went to Catalina Island. It is one of our favorite places. Mike and I met there nine years ago when we were both single. I was on my way to run a marathon from Two Harbors to Avalon and he was the chairman of the Conservancy of Divers. The setting for our extraordinary love story was this protected wildlife sanctuary off the coast of California. There are breathtaking views of the clear coastal waters from high atop Catalina’s mountainsides. The shoreline is studded with grand boulders and caves of green serpentine, red garnet and sparkling soapstone. Buffalo occasionally wander by and the ocean teams with Ghirabaldi, our state fish.
Ghirabaldi are large, golden fish the size of dinner plates. Curious and sometimes seriously aggressive when protecting their nests, these magnificent creatures dart in and out of the tall forests of sea kelp. We also see l4-l8 inch, fat Calico Bass that will eat anything edible and sometimes not so edible. Here, too, is the leopard shark with its spotted skin, the unusual flying fish, mantas, dolphin, guitar fish and much, much more.
The purpose of our visit in August was to meet boat people… Sea Dory owners. It was with these voyagers that we both found solace. We escaped our busy teaching and ranch lives as we dived, dined and discoursed with like-minded people.
I always keep a journal of our travels. A brief account of our wonderful experiences on Catalina Island, follows:
Saturday, Aug. 17, ’08, we departed our home in La Habra Heights and headed for Huntington Harbor where we launched with Sam and Carrie. Our boats are the same model and color . We watched them ease into the calm shallows. Carrie and Sam are a team. Carrie is capable of operating the boat herself. She has boundless energy and quickly anticipates Sam’s needs. They are both super divers, too.
The only difference between Sam, Carrie and ourselves is that they keep an immaculate vessel. Mike attempts to do this on the Sea Queen but I am still learning the art of living aboard in limited spaces. I suppose I could wear the same clothes every day and I don’t have to bring along my Bible, guitar and library of Pacific Ocean wildlife and, and, and…. Someday I’ll figure out how to narrow down my things to the bare essentials.
Huntington Harbor is mostly marshland except for a few condos. I remember in the 60’s, when this area was just beginning to be developed. All I saw were birds and a few small fishing boats anchored in the shallow marshes. Boy, have things changed! There was an enormous Navy cargo ship berthed here. Obviously they have dredged out the mud flats and deepened it into a small harbor.
We quickly entered the open ocean. This was a thrill after usually spending 45 minutes to get out of Newport Harbor. Within the hour we saw dolphins everywhere. They surfaced right beside the boat and I frantically clicked away photos. I caught one or two. That was amazing because they are so fast. Carrie spotted a whale but it sounded before we could see it. What a perfect day for a sea watch. We made good time and were there in less than two hours.
Carrie and Sam helped us tie up to a string line. They were the official greeters and helped everyone in the group to get settled. Several more boats joined us late Sunday evening.
Monday we took our Zodiac to shore and pulled it up on the beach. I told Mike that we should tie off to a rock but he seemed confident it would be O.K. We had breakfast in the only café in Two Harbors. It serves a nice variety of fresh, delicious food all day long.
We met Julika, our server. She is a Polish chemistry student who is working on the Island during her summer vacation. We were amazed to find out that summer help is given a place to live for only $l50.00 a month. Such a deal!
Upon returning to the beach we discovered our tender floated back to the Sea Queen. Sam tied her up again. Mike swam out to the Sea Queen and returned to the beach to pick me up. A few days later, Jim lost his tender, too. He was visiting Steve and Melinda late one evening and failed to tie up securely. They searched and searched for the tender going out as far as Bird Rock. I would estimate this to be about one mile off shore. Finally, they found it a few boats down from where they lost it. What a relief. Honestly, you never think that is going to happen to you. Of course, you never think you will forget to put in your cork before launching, either. How many of us have found ourselves knee deep in water before even starting our travels? Come on, admit it, this happens to everyone…ONCE!
Mike wanted to scuba dive and he needed a new hose for his B.C. Being the clever guy that he is, he can make do with odds and ends that he finds. He discovered a hose in a wherehouse just inland. It worked perfectly!
Many of the people with our group are equally ingenious when it comes to making things fit. Sam had his own bike racks on top of the cabin. Jeff had his long kayak stored on top, too. Steve had all sorts of things he built into his Sea Dory. It was a joy just to share what each of us have added to our vessels for comfort and safety.
We went to a cove just east of Two Harbors named, Blue Caverns. Mike dived with Sam and Carrie while Steve, Melinda and I snorkeled. I could float for hours just watching the different light patterns peep through the kelp and dance over the rocks. Ghirabaldi greeted me along with the Calico Bass, Blue banded Gobbies, Silver Sardines and purple Gorgonians. The divers spotted a Bat Ray, Leopard Shark and much more. I was anxious to dive, myself but I needed a refresher course so I waited until the next day.
That evening we met Keymeko (Forgive the incorrect spelling!) and Keith with their dogs. One of their pets bit me when I got too close to photograph but it didn’t hurt. It scared me more than anything. You would think I learned my lesson but later that evening I went right up to them again without thinking. This time, the same pooch got me on the leg. No harm was done. I’m used to dogs. In fact, the entire group of C-Dory owners are understanding pet people. That is another thing I like about this group. Susan and Joel, Cathy and Jim, Roger and Pat as well as Keith and Keymeco all enjoy animals. I’m sure Jeff, Pat and Steve do too, but I didn’t ask them.
Tuesday, most of us had coffee and breakfast in the café. Susan and Pat tied their pooches, Sadie and Roxy outside the restaurant and every now and then you would hear a howl or a bark as other dogs passed by. Two Harbors is dog heaven! Honestly, it seems like every other person has their dog aboard. There were labs and huge Standard Poodles, Pomeranians…you name it! It was a dog parade every time you walked into town. In the morning, everyone got their dogs off their boats to do their morning “duty”, but you would never know it. People were extremely considerate about this. They cleaned up after their animals. As a result, dogs are allowed on beaches and walks as long as they are on a leash. How nice!
After breakfast we rushed to get ready for another dive but I forgot my hood so I entertained myself taking photos and snorkeling again. I saw a speckled octopus that was beautiful. I watched it for a long time…so fascinating the way they slink along. It slipped under a rock and a Leopard Shark swam by. He circled back and stayed around me during my entire swim. I have seen these creatures before but it is always a thrill to be close to them in their surroundings. There was a huge moon snail eating a kelp frond. I never saw one alive before. How interesting! I always see something I have never seen before when I dive at Catalina Island.
Several people dived that day : Jim, Sam, Carrie, Steve Melinda, Jeff and Mike. What a great group! Everyone looked out for each other and had a grand time. We had no idea that there would be so many people who shared our love for diving. What a surprise! Melinda was pleased at the end of the day because this was her first dive after certification. She did very well.
After returning to our boats, I took off for a kayak ride. Mike bought me a blow-up kayak that is perfect for solo adventures. I love it! After visiting a cove I spotted, I joined Steve, Melinda and Mike for volleyball on the beach. There was an Asian family that joined us. Chris, Andy Mike and their dad were great players. They were no match for Steve and Melinda but it turned out to be quite a competitive game. I was nick-named, “Stealth”, by Melinda because my serve is absolutely silent. No one can figure it out. I’m certainly not going to give my secret away. All of us went home with sand burns and sore feet. We were dog tired but happy.
It was getting dark all too quickly and I decided to leave the game because I had to kayak back to the boat. Steve told me to take off my sunglasses and surprise! It wasn’t as dark as I thought. I could finish the game! The laugh was on me.
Steve shared fresh tomatoes from his garden with us. They were unbelievable! I gave him home made oatmeal-chocolate chip-nut cookies and fig bread. Did you know there is a new rule in volleyball? You can hit the ball with your shin! I’m not kidding! I have a hard time hitting it with my hands let alone my knee or my calf. That has to hurt!
Two of the evenings we were there, we had buffet dinners that were out of this world. Roger fixed his gourmet meat with garlic gloves inside. Steve fixed an assortment of barbecue veggies and seasoned baked potatoes. Carrie made an out –of this world salad and Pat made carrots and pineapple…very nice. Pat and Steve barbecued seasoned vegetables…my favorite! I am sure I am forgetting what other people brought. Forgive me. It was all so good.
The next day Steve, Jim and Melinda went fishing off of Santa Barbara Island and the rest of us either went diving or hiked or biked or relaxed. Mike and I finally dived together and it was such a thrill to be able to get down again. I did not think I could equalize but Mike is an incredibly patient teacher…the best! We saw lots of wildlife and what a special time together.
That night, we ate barbecued fish and a wild rice mix with salad and more fig bread and cookies, pasta salad and more and more. It was another feast with plenty to drink. Steve said that they seldom tell one another what to bring. It always seems to work out better than anyone can imagine.
I sang some songs on my guitar as background mood music while people prepared to dine. Later, Cathy and Roger played. Why don’t we form a guitar group? We can share music on-line and the next time we meet up, we can jam! What do you think, guys? Shall we form the first C-Dory onsamble?
We left the next day so I cannot report on the rest of the weekend. We often wonder what we found so special about these C-Dory owners. I think I know what it is. We found wisdom, a contagious appetite for adventure and the gentle, understanding Spirit of the Lord in each one of them. C-Dory people are unique and talented people. Each one of them has something grand to share. They took us in their midst and accepted us as if we were one of them. They made us feel special. They laughed with us and understood us. We felt we could share our innermost secrets with them . Christ, as I know Him, is alive in each of their hearts. What a joy to be part of the C-Dory team.

Mike and Sona McCoy - SeaQueen
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sona,

Thanks so much. It was our pleasure to meet you and Mike.
Hope to meet up again.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete a double post
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sona, what a great recap of the week's events! You really captured the spirit and essence of the whole experience. As I was reading I could feel and smell the sights, sounds and beauty we all experienced together. Thank you for your thoughts and reflections, truly a piece of work. We too enjoyed finally meeting you and hope to enjoy your company at many more events to come.

And those cookies and desserts you made -- to die for! Smile

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Sea Pictures CatalinaCBGT08 Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CatalinaCBGT08&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Sona and Mike, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: