The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shell, tonneau or neither?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Shell, tonneau or neither? Reply with quote

As you may know, I bought a new GMC Duramax for towing the Tom Cat. On my old truck I had a rigid tonneau cover over the bed. I am giving some thought to buying a shell (canopy) for the new truck. I had a shell two trucks ago and didn't like how it cut down my side visibility, but did like the security and ability to use it for rough camping. However, with the crew cab, I can see much better off to the side without having to look through the shell's windows. I liked the looks of the tonneau but frequently found that I needed more height to carry something and as a result had to remove the tonneau. Another option I am considering is a retractable tonneau.

I would be interested in your comments about shells, both pro and con. Also comments regarding other spray-in bed liners besides Rhino liner would be help me in deciding what to use on the GMC.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
I have always liked canopies. More height for cargo, better security, and as you noted you can camp and sleep in it. I learned that the reduced visibility can be compensated for by use of your mirrors. I have the power adjustable mirrors. I also have those convex mirrors which completely eliminate blind spots. The power mirrors are handy to crank out while backing up so you can see many areas that would not be visible otherwise.

Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do don't buy a Peragon folding cover. It's a flimsy, fussy, unreliable POS.
Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Shell, Tonneau, neither Reply with quote

We put a Lear smooth side (no windows) on the Duramax and like everything about it, including visibility. For us the shell is just right as there will be pots w/ ground tackle, the step ladder, dog stuff etc to cover on every trip. On the way out we add fish coolers etc. and before you know it your full. The Tonneau is very nice looking but the older I get the more I focus on the easy path, more room = easy path.
Mike
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren, I have had a 97 Ford 3/4 since new. I have had a Roll and Lock retractable hard bed cover and Line X as the liner. I love the Line X. I have not really liked the Roll and Lock. I have had consistent problems w/ adjustments and keeping the lid closed. When I got the truck originally, I was towing a fifth wheel trailer. It was cool to retract the bed cover, tow the trailer and then close the cover and secure the hitch and bed contents.

I think if I were to do it again without the trailer towing issue, I would go w/ a utility style shell w/ openable side doors. I am not sure if I would go w/ a tailgate-liftgate or the two side by side doors. Many of the benefits that CAVU identified are valid.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment much on a shell but I can about bedliners. I've had both.
Rhino liners feel great and has a lot of "stiction" initially however that only lasts about 6-7 months. It fully hardens by then and gets slick when wet. The look is very dependent upon operator skill. Then again I'm particular and want the smallest "blotches" possible.

Line-x appears easier to spray on, has a very even coat, and the "stick factor" (stiction) remains high years after it was sprayed on. The down side of Line-x is you don't want to crawl around the bed with shorts on. It feels like 80 grade sandpaper on your knees.

Both fade with the sun equally. My Duramax has the Line-x but it doesn't have a shell. If I had a shell I'd probably go back to Rhino because shell = lots of crawling in/out.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren,

We had the Rhino-liner sprayed on right after we bought our truck and have been very happy with it. It still looks new, but has been covered with our CoverMaster (recently went out of business Crying or Very sad ) fiberglass tonneau.

We just took the tonnea off a couple days ago so we could go pick up our new 5th wheel (tomorrow). I really miss that cover! Looks good, locks, hides all the stuff we carry back there (and we carry a bunch of stuff when we're cruising with Wild Blue)... and did I mention it looks good? Wink

We have never done any camping with just the truck, so didn't have any interest in a shell. I was concerned that having a shell with windows in it would make our stuff more vulnerable, since the truck sits in storage when we're out cruising.

Good luck with your decisions... man, I like my truck!

Best wishes,
Jim
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a Linex in the 2006 Ranger, and liked it. However, if you buy it from the truck dealer, make sure you check out independent Line-x guys for price. My Ford dealer asked $300 more than the independent. When I told the dealer what I was willing to pay he said "fine" without batting an eye.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Rhino Lining on the Dodge. I hadn't noticed the "stiction" factor but now that I think back on the stuff that was in the truck before that, the Rhino is definitely smoother. It also appears to stain more easily -- I am not sure if that was Line-X or something else.

I'll have to see what is available in my area. That's what's great about this group -- I would not have thought about one lining being better for under a shell than another.

BTW I have the "cargo management" option, which offers a lot of options for customizing the interior, Sort of like how I expect the Toland Marinaut system will work.

Thanks,
Warren
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always have had a shell, can't imagine having a truck without. On the relatively rare occasions where it's been in the way, it's not that tough to remove.

Several years back, I added a BedSlide - I'll never have a truck again without one. It's the perfect compliment to a shell...makes access to everything in the bed a snap, and like the shell, it can be removed fairly quickly if needed.

The contractor grade version is much more beefy, and at the time I purchased, wasn't much more expensive than the standard grade.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
I have a shell (Leer) that came off my old Chevy (that died) if you want to try it out, it is yours for the taking !! I will measure it.

Merv

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Say no to the Tonneau Reply with quote

One of the downsides to a tonneau is that it is hard to use the rear view mirror when backing an empty trailer down to pick up a boat. It's a real blind spot. With a canopy, or open bed, you can see the trailer.

Steve
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old truck ('98 Dakota 4x4 extra cab) had a Leer canopy on it with a plastic bed liner. Loved the canopy, hated the bed liner. I used this truck as a daily driver.
My current truck ('93 F250 4x4 extra cab) has Line-X in the bed. Great stuff! Things don't slide around. It is tough and looks good. I don't have a canopy on this truck as I have a slide in Camper, and generally don't use the truck unless we're going camping or I'm hauling something. If I were using the truck as a daily driver, I would invest in a canopy that had opening side doors as well as the back. This would make getting those items that slid forward much easier to get at. Also, I like having the single handle in the center of the door vs one on each side. This allows you to open the back door with one hand much easier!

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never use Rhino again Thumbs Down Thumbs Down
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shell that I offered to Warren has double doors at the rear which means you remove the tailgate.
As this does not fit with Warren's plan I will extend to offer to any local C-Brat who can make use of it. "Family first" !!

Merv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: