The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Privacy covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
We're just now in the process of having a camperback made, and the company is throwing in matching window covers as well. They're going to be attached by extra snaps and will roll up and down with upholstery tape tied at whatever height it's needed. I wanted to avoid velcro because we travel with dogs and velcro plus dog hair can equal a real mess. I'll post pictures when the project is done.

I decided not to have curtains made for the aft windows and the door, because the camperback will be back there. It's not too late ... can anyone present a good case for having them versus not having them?

There may be times when you will not have the camperback on (perhaps just the bimini top) and will want privacy in the cabin. Or, if you are at a dock and have another boat behind you, they will be able to see in through your aft window in the camperback. When trailering, we have the bimini strapped to the cabin, but our window covers are up to keep it cooler in the boat, and keep out any prying eyes. Also, when it's cold out, the window/door cover gives you one more layer of insulation. Our window covers go in anytime the boat isn't being used - protects the interior from UV.

That's 5 good cases, but I'll be other Brats come up with more. Wink
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Jim's reason's I've found that when anchored out at night or any where mosquitos or sand knats are a problem they are really attracted to the light from the interior of the boat. No matter how good your screens are they always seem to get in. With curtains all around blocking the light they aren't nearly as bad inside the cabin.
Roscoe

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C for Two
Photos: C for Two
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good cases. Thank you, Jim and Marvin. I called the canvas maker today and he's going to add those three window covers to the job.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Template? Reply with quote

Anyone have templates already for the CD22 or know of a good place to get something made out of Sunbrella/or similar for a good price. The local guy wants $600 for our little CD22 and I thought that was a bit spendy. I do like the curtain or snap idea and would like to do something very soon as we are going to be sleeping more now the weather has warmed and we have a bit more time to enjoy the boat. Smile
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is getting individual interior covers for the forward-facing windows. The factory provides a useless cover that snaps over the outside of those windows, but why go out and hassle with that when you are ready to go to bed? Also, you shouldn't trailer with the factory cover in place because it will abrade the window glass.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Template? Reply with quote

bshillam wrote:
Anyone have templates already for the CD22 or know of a good place to get something made out of Sunbrella/or similar for a good price. The local guy wants $600 for our little CD22 and I thought that was a bit spendy. I do like the curtain or snap idea and would like to do something very soon as we are going to be sleeping more now the weather has warmed and we have a bit more time to enjoy the boat. Smile

If you don't have a local place to buy Sunbrella (and check that it is the marine grade Sunbrella, there are other fabrics they make), you can order it from places on the internet, like Sail Rite.

There would be nothing to making patterns for the windows - hold some craft paper up to the window, tape it in place, and cut or tape more paper until it fits. Cut out the fabric, sew on some black binding, and put the snaps on.

We paid about $600 for our window covers - a price that I thought was too much, but we were heading right out from the factory to cruise with our boat... no time to make covers (and we were 2600 miles from home). Joan has made other stuff from Sunbrella (cover for v-berth hatch, motor cover, round bag for the camperback sides, etc.), and she says a typical sewing machine can handle that. Putting in snaps is... well, a snap. You can buy the kit at West Marine (or Lowes or fabric/hobby shops).

HTH
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We adapted the "factory" interior cover for both the CD 25 and Tom Cat to inside use. I agree that it might be better to have individual foreward covers.

Of all canvas work, the window covers are probably the easiest to make. Just cut the fabric with a hot knife (soldering iron with a flat blade will work. Sail Rite sells both the Sunbrella and edge binding. Most good machines will sew this material. But you want a larger needle and dacron thread for the binding. There are any number of good kits to put the snaps in place with. The one I own has dyes which fit on a pair of square jawed vise grips. I burn the holes with the tip of a soldering iron (pointed blade) and back the snap with a small piece of dacron sail cloth. (Sticky back material sail repair works well, and spreads out the load.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Shop that has patterns for Tomcat? Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a shop that may already have the patterns for the Tomcat windows?

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Curtains Reply with quote

I received my curtains from Kings Marine. I went to install them yesterday but soon realized the snap posts that came with them are too long. When I cinch down on the snap (over a test piece of canvas) the post material spreads out of course. This prevents the male end of the snap from fitting into the female end. Has anyone else had the same problem? Is it just a matter of getting snaps with shorter posts?

I will call Kings Marine today as well.

--Matt
mark&diana

City/Region: Beaverton
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good source for the screws with snap heads that replace the window frame screws to snap curtains onto the window frames? Thanks!
Hull #66
YACD

City/Region: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
Photos: F. Silvestris
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Screw-Stud-3-8-Stainless-Steel-Key-SSE?sc=2&category=17936
mark&diana

City/Region: Beaverton
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for - thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: