matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: TWIC Reply with quote

Well the revised compliance date for Boston is October 15, 2008 so I decided to get the TWIC process done.

I summarized my experience here:

http://www.commercialcaptains.com/twic

The mandatory compliance dates are different for each port. I remember at one point there was a question about who had to get the TWIC, the short answer is every Merchant Mariner.

It was a pretty straight forward experience for me. I was in and out in 15 minutes but I also pre-enrolled online. At the Boston processing center they said it has been taking about 2 weeks to get the card although officially they say it takes much longer. I'll let you know how quickly I was able to get my card.

Has anyone else completed the process?

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: TWIC Reply with quote

I received an email about 10 days after I completed the process informing me the card was ready.

I scheduled an appointment online. I heard too many stories from other Captain's about people arriving without an appointment and wait while all those with appointments are taken ahead of them. I was again in and out in 15 minutes. You have to show your id, they scan your fingerprints, ask you to create a pin, and then they activate your card.

It will be interesting to see how the program evolves in terms of enforcement.

I would be interested to hear from other Captains when/if they experience a check for the credential.
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. mattie
IF MY RECOLLECTION IS CORRECT AND DON'T BELIEVE FOR ONE MINUET IT IS, I APPLIED FOR MY CARD IN OR AROUND FEB. 2008 AND ACTUALLY RECEIVED IT APPROXIMATELY 4 OR 5 WEEKS LATER. A BIG TO DO OVER NOTHING. lower case now, so as not to appear to be yelling, i'll go one step further and state that i am renewing my license now, (not actually do until jan. 2009) and most probably will not renew it again. the liability associated with operating someone's else boat coupled with the low compensation for doing so, isn't worth the risk. having the uscg license is great for testosterone but for me that's about it. the education will be used for the balance of my boating carrier, but you don't need a sheep skin for that.
by the way, jeff, from alabama, if you're out there today,this past weekend i assisted a boater pulling into a harbour on the ohio river in the new richmond area. had my c-dory tide to the dock, and the boater was the same guy who's boat you were on when you guys pulled us over several years ago, to ask 22' or 25'? small world!
best regards to all
pat
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: TWIC Reply with quote

capt. patrick campbell wrote:
capt. mattie
IF MY RECOLLECTION IS CORRECT AND DON'T BELIEVE FOR ONE MINUET IT IS, I APPLIED FOR MY CARD IN OR AROUND FEB. 2008 AND ACTUALLY RECEIVED IT APPROXIMATELY 4 OR 5 WEEKS LATER. A BIG TO DO OVER NOTHING. lower case now, so as not to appear to be yelling, i'll go one step further and state that i am renewing my license now, (not actually do until jan. 2009) and most probably will not renew it again. the liability associated with operating someone's else boat coupled with the low compensation for doing so, isn't worth the risk....

There must have been something in your record that gave them pause..ha ha! Just joking of course.

Seriously though, why the change of heart in running commercially? I noticed you recently posted about captain's insurance. Was that the same person I referred you to some time ago? I have yet to follow up with him.
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey captain,
no, different person and company. i post the liability info for the benefit of any c-dory captain who might have had an interest in it. i receive no compensation from the company for this program.
change of heart occurred after towing a 29' cruiser , with intoxicated captain and crew, into a local harbour. my supplied tow vessel was a 21 footer, oh buy the way, damn near gail force winds to make it worst. yes i made $120. caused no damage or injury, received no pleasure or experience no fun in doing so. i guess, if i was retired, which i'm not, things might be different. so, for the foreseeable future i'll just park the license on my wall at the office.
hope you have been enjoying this boating season. linda and i have logged in more water time this year than probably the last five years. we're on a roll!
pat
ps: maybe there was something in my record, after all, i listed both you and byrdman as friends. that right there could have raised a flag!
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: TWIC Reply with quote

capt. patrick campbell wrote:
hey captain,
no, different person and company. i post the liability info for the benefit of any c-dory captain who might have had an interest in it. i receive no compensation from the company for this program.
change of heart occurred after towing a 29' cruiser , with intoxicated captain and crew, into a local harbour. my supplied tow vessel was a 21 footer, oh buy the way, damn near gail force winds to make it worst. yes i made $120. caused no damage or injury, received no pleasure or experience no fun in doing so. i guess, if i was retired, which i'm not, things might be different. so, for the foreseeable future i'll just park the license on my wall at the office.
hope you have been enjoying this boating season. linda and i have logged in more water time this year than probably the last five years. we're on a roll!
pat
ps: maybe there was something in my record, after all, i listed both you and byrdman as friends. that right there could have raised a flag!

Good to hear you made it back OK with the drunk crew in Gale Force Winds. Now THAT is a poster for what not to combine on the water....

Ha ha! Yeah you gotta be careful about who you associate with these days. My TWIC card came back with a skull and crossbones watermark, I just figured everyone got the same......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: