The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer access
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Single Handed trailering Reply with quote

I usually trailer single handed, even if there is someone with me. I frequently know what I'm gonna do, but often don't know what a friend will do. So, Do it yourself is best.

The Fulton Pole guides at the back of the trailer are strong enough to keep the boat almost centered, even in strong cross winds. After pulling the boat out, I can center the boat on the trailer using a 3 foot long wrecking bar against a wood block at the hull. Then I'm perfectly centered, so the hull won't hit fenders or bolts. All it takes is a 3 ft bar to wedge the hull on wet bunks.

Rick from Maine
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-bill the wife dont miss the californa life at all , execpt the weekends at cables lake over on highway 88 and vahalla fair at camp richerson. the macks at the lake are great in the spring.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you folks who power launch and retrieve by yourselves* get up or down from the trailer to the bow and vis-a-vis? Do you step onto the spare tire as an intermediary step? Does anyone have a ladder built into the trailer tongue?

*With two people, there'so problem, one in the boat, one in the tow vehicle.

Does anyone have a hinged ladder built onto or into the bow pulpit that can be used to get down to the trailer or onto shore when beaching?

If I were 18 again, I could jump up onto the boat easily. At 25-45 , it would be no problem to swing up throwing a hip onto the boat and using the bow pulpit as a leverage point to go up or down as needed. From 45-60 or so, two hips and two hands between the first and second bow pulpit struts now allow me to struggle up. Looking forward, (I guess that's the term), at 70, I'm maybe going to need an elevator! (Yet another reason to find a place for a 2 kw generator onboard!)

I seem to remember talking to Yellowstone John at Shasta Lake in 2001 when he said he had devised a muli-purpose ramp for similar purposes. Anyone familiar with this concept? Where do you store such a ramp conveniently?

I know I can always get on and off the boat at docks, marinas, etc., but don't really want to be limited to boarding and deboarding at such locations. There are too many good places to visit out there where those kind of facilities don't exist. Anyone have a solution?

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

I seem to remember talking to Yellowstone John at Shasta Lake in 2001 when he said he had devised a muli-purpose ramp for similar purposes. Anyone familiar with this concept? Where do you store such a ramp conveniently?

Joe, from what I remember, John had built a "gang plank" that was multi-purpose. When it was used as a "gang plank" he somehow secured it to the bow and perhaps was also able to secure it to the stern. For storage, I believe he used it as a "sitting bench" in the cockpit next to the transom. I know that he had pictures of it in a photo album he had, but I don't recall that he ever posted any photos of it on the C-Dog or C-Brat site.

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
If you look in the Far West II photo album, there is one picture that shows his gangplank. If you look closely, you can see the gangplank with gray colored non-slip material on the plank that forms a bench seat in the "storage" position. Behind it you can see the wooden back rest that he constructed as well.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave- Thanks for the reply. I should have looked in the album myself.

The plank would be very easy to build, probably from marine plywood with stiffening rails and proper waterproofing. Would require some engineering to make it fit as a bench and some fittings to serve both in the back of the boat and then attach to the bow securely for landing. Not all that difficult overall, I suspect.

While we're at it, have we heard from John at all lately? Hope all is well with he and Edna.

Thanks again. Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: