The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Question for Potential Buyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Ferris

City/Region: Mead, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Trailer Question for Potential Buyer Reply with quote

I have found that many of the C-Dory's posted for sale here are in the water much of the time and the seller has no trailer. I'll be in the market for a used C-Dory sometime soon and wonder what the recommendation is for a trailer for one of these boats. I live in Colorado and have concluded that buying new or used, I'm going to have to go to one coast or the other to purchase a boat. It appears that many of these used C-Dory's might be the ticket, but I'm going to need a trailer if I find a boat without one.

I imagine a dual axle trailer would be the best choice. Does anyone have any particular model they would recommend? I'm wondering where I'd go for just a trailer if I decide to buy a used boat. I'm looking at both a 22 or 25 Cruiser.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: trailer question for potential buyer Reply with quote

Hello,
EZ Loader, King Trailer, I think are west coast trailer mfgers. I'm from the east Coast so, LoadRite, Float On, and Magic Tilt are a few that come to mind. I would go on line after googling at least these two manufacturers and look for dealers near where your potential boat purchase might take place. That way they MIGHT be able to help you set up the trailer properly for the particular boat that you might purchase. No sense dragging an empty trailer around the country. Make sure to get a spare tire and have a lug wrench and jack that will work with the trailer you buy. Check out what kind of tires the trailer comes with; some of the OEM tires that they supply are real junk. and stay away from aluminum wheels if you are launching in salt water. Galvanized wheels are better for that. Most like a bunk type trailer as they think it supports the hull better. Buy good tie down straps and make sure to strap the front of the boat down to the trailer to prevent the boat from coming forward due to sudden stop or an accident! Best of Luck!
D.D.
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-
I have been dragging boats all over the state of Washington for 35 years.
I've had both roller and bunk trailers. I like the rollers better. In several of the tide influence launches I frequent I've had a real hard time getting the boat off of the bunk trailer at low tide and harder time getting loaded in the same low tide conditions.
I currently have a tandem axle e-z loader roller trailer under my 22' cruiser. The axles have oil filled bearings that are easy to check, just look at the fluid level. I have disk brakes that are far superior to any others I have owned.
I did own a King trailer for a short time with a previous boat and was not at all happy with it. In all fairness, it was a used trailer that had seen a lot of salt water.
Good luck in your hunt for a boat and trailer!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest a tandem axel trailer--if you are having it built, you can spec what tires you want. Also inquire about used trailers near where you are buying the boat. I towed an empty trailer 1200 miles to pick up my CD 25 (no big issue--since the mileage was the same as not towing)--to find that there was a greally good trailer at the storage yard for far less than I paid for a new one.

My personal choice is a bunk trailer. Agree with disc breaks, we do use galvanized wheels--but I suggest a spare with complete running gear on it--including hub. The Aluminum frame trailers are popular on the East Coast, and used in salt water all of the time with no problems.

You can get the dimensions from members of this list to have the trailer built. Many trailers are built for deep V's--and the C Dory is basically a flat bottom boat, with very little dead rise. You can always pick up new mounts if the bunks/rollers are not at the correct height on a used trailer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If coming to the west coast, check out Pacific Trailers. I've had their tandem bunk trailers on both of my C-Dorys, and like them far better than the other popular makes out here (King and EZ Loader.)

First, the bunks sit very low in the frame - a full 8" lower than the King bunk trailer I compared mine to, and that trailer had the bunks adjusted as far down as they would go. Not only does this give a better ride (lower center of gravity), it requires less clearance when garaging.

More importantly, the lower bunk height makes for far easier launches. I've not launched anywhere where a roller would have had much, if any advantage. Same with retrieving...the bunks sit just about as low as the tilted roller assemblies I've seen, and with a two-speed winch, I can pull a 22 up dry bunks without much effort.

Two other advantages of the Pacific - it is narrower than a King by about 10" (haven't measured an EZ Loader), and it's a welded frame - the only manufacturer that does this for galvanized, that I'm aware of.

A couple other things to be aware of:

- If possible, pay an upgrade and get decent trailer tires. All of the manufacturers deliver pretty junky tires standard. Goodyear Marathons get pretty decent reviews, and have the advantage of having nationwide replacement/repair options.

- Particularly if buying in California, ensure you get brakes on both axles. Laws vary by state, but CA only requires brakes on one axle - so many trailers are delivered that way. Trouble is, many states require brakes on both axles.

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Goodyear Marathon tires, I had one fail friday night on my trailer. It was three years old, and standing and looking from the side there was no apparent problem but looking at it at speed in the rearview mirror something looked off. Come to find out the tread had separated internally and was wandering on the casing. Lucky there was a les schwab close by. Never had a problem with the Marathon before.
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: trailer question for potential buyer Reply with quote

Tony - what a topic! Reminds me of a Twain quotation, "It is a difference of opinion that makes a horse race." I have used both bunk and roller trailers. Like them both. Think I had about every problem a trailer can present. If you get a 25 CD, dual axles will be necessary. Not aware of any rig with single axles handling that load. If you get a 22CD, a single axle will suffice - as long as you get the largest one made with 15 inch rims. Easy Loader makes a good one for the 22. Stay away from a single axle with 14 inch rims. Had one and tires and frames wouldn't handle the 22 CD for long hauls. Goodyear Marathons seem to be as good as anything made. A welded frame may give you a send of security, but welds break (as do bolts - most trailer manufacturers don't use hardened bolts). I agree on the comments on galvanized trailers. They handle salt water pretty well, particiularly with wash downs. When I lived on the west coast I had my CD slung in. Since you live in Colorado, you probably will do most of your boating in fresh water, so a galvanized trailer is probably the most cost effective.
Regardless which brand you end up with, go for the torsion suspension axle. Much less shock on the boat and trailer and pretty maintenance free. I just rescued a boat and trailer from the Mississippi gulf coast after 12 years in salt water use. The bunks were shot (screws were rusting away and falling out), the brakes (surge), bearings, etc. had been replaced several times, but the frame and rims (Easy Loader Galvalnzed ) were in good shape. Unless it has been well-maintained, I would stay away from a used trailer. Now my west & east coast brothers and sisters won't like this recommendation, but a used inland CD should have fewer problems, particularly the outboard. If your used boat doesn't have hydraulic steering, spring for it when you can afford it. I have seen only a few really abused and neglected CDs out there. Most CD owners treat their boats like beloved pets. Good luck in your searching. John

Tony Ferris

City/Region: Mead, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice. I hope when I find a boat that it's got a trailer, but I'm not about to pass up something that doesn't have one. I wrote EZ Loader today and got a few tips. My old ski boat had an EZ Loader and my houseboat has one, so they are something I'm familiar with. From what I've figured out, the only thing one really cares about is something that can handle the weight you put on the trailer. I'd like a tandem axle model regardless of whether I end up with a 22 or 25. There's something to be said for the light weight of a 22, but I'd sure enjoy the room of a 25. Then again, I sure liked the bed in the TomCat, as did my wife!

Thanks again.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure like our tandem axle Pacific. Never really thought about the lower bunk height, Bill...but you're right, the boat does sit nice and low. I recommend the long side guides...ours are eight feet long...makes getting back on the trailer a lot easier, especially if there's a breeze.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Agree with the lower Pacific Reply with quote

My trailer is a Pacific, single under a 22 Cruiser. My preference would be toward a tandem, even for the 22. Also, Pacific galvanized has steel fenders, and I stand on them several times each launch. No worries about breaking a plastic fender. I would also look for or change to a 2 speed manual winch. Easier and safer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other potential advantage of the Pacific trailer is its lighter weight versus an ez loader.
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: