The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer bunk spray lubricant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Trailer bunk spray lubricant Reply with quote

I have seen spray lube in magazines advertised for $10 a can and read about a guy in Trailer boat magazine that sprayed his bunks with a lubricant spray. He now says his bunks are so slick he fears his boat will slide off the trailer as he backs down the ramp as he likes to unhook the boat from the trailer so he can power off the trailer. He didn't mention what kind of spray he used. WD-40? PAM cooking spray??? Has anybody tried anything similar? My boat has a rough bottom paint and unless you deep six the trailer your not sliding this boat back to launch.
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Weed,

One thing I learned from an "Old Salt" when I asked about slick bunks and spray lube. Although they will make it easier to launch, they also make it easier for the boat to slide around while you are trailering it down the road. He had found that this tends to result in scratches all over the hull and damage to the boat and/or trailer that you probably don't want. I choose not to use either due to this but I would love to hear if anyone had and how it has turned out!
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Bunk Spray... Reply with quote

I guess I'm just a sucker for anything that comes in a spray can, or promises to make cleaning/polishing easier....in the shop I have a reasonably large shelf almost filled with half-empty cans and bottles of "new, Fantastic..." products!

While wandering the aisles of West Marine a couple years ago I noticed the Slippery Spray Bunk stuff. Bought some. Used it two or three times and relegated it to "the shelf." I didn't notice any appreciable difference. Haven't tried any other sprays (ie. WD-40, or Pam cooking spray). I suspect there are some "home remedies" that might help, but would want to be careful that it didn't breakdown the bunk carpeting, make is sticky, or whatever.

I suspect there might be various types of carpet that are better suited for covering trailer bunks - but that would be a different thread. In any case, I'll will be interested in what other folks have found.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launch and retrieve from the trailer on every outing, and I find the bunks' friction to be "just right" without any treatment.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon Pledge. That's what I was told to use by King Trailer. I have used it occasionally, and it seems to work well. I use it very sparingly, just enough to help with powering the boat onto the trailer.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: