The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What do you tow your EC 21 with and what is your MPG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcinfo

City/Region: sacramento, ca
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: What do you tow your EC 21 with and what is your MPG? Reply with quote

I'm searching for a new tow vehicle. What do you tow your 21 with, what mileage do you get while towing and are you happy with your tow vehicle for every day use?
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Towing the 21... Reply with quote

My current tow vehicle is a 2008 Honda Pilot with the tow package. It puts me right on the line for towing capacity but performs very well. I like the Honda because it has the variable cylinder management which shuts down three cylinders a good bit of the time when not towing. I get around 12 when towing and twice that on the highway without towing. If you look at the Hondas, I know you get 1,000 pounds more capacity if you go the 4 wheel drive route which might be worth considering. I was lucky and caught my unit at the end of the model year and saved about $6,000 off the sticker price.

My previous tow vehicle was an 04 F150 with the 4.6 V-8 and it pulled the boat beautifully as well.

It will be interesting to see what others recommend.
dmcinfo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Towning my EC 21 Reply with quote

Just returned from a 700 mile round trip. I averaged 12 mpg from my toyota tundra (V eight) while towing my 21. I tried to keep my RPMs at 2000. Without the boat, I normally get around 16.
SGIRhino
Dealer

City/Region: Eastpoint
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Tow Vehicle! Reply with quote

Hmmm and I thought my truck was a little overkill. However...I made an 1830 mile trip to Houston and then Austin Texas then home last weekend picking up and delivering boats. While towing an R-25 Ranger from here to Houston I averaged 11.5 at 70 MPG on the highway. Coming back from Austin pulling a C-Dory 22' Center Console with a T-Top (about the same weight as the R-21) I averaged 16.5 MPG. The amazing thing that while traveling unloaded at 78-80 running the A/C I averaged 21.2 MPG.

I need to tell you that I'm running a 2007 Chevy Silverado LT 4X4 with a Duramax, factory tires and exhaust but boosted with a Quadzilla Performance programmer with 70 EXTRA horsepower programmed in. I'm tickled to death with my mileage (averaging 18.3 running around town) and especially the Quadzilla unit. The only trade-off is that we're still paying $4.71/gallon for diesel here in N. Florida.

Charlie

dmcinfo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: New tow vehicle Reply with quote

I decided to turn in my Toyota tundra that ive been leasing. Easy decision since I would not buy it or expect to sell it for the residual value. In its place I leased an 08 Nissan frontier. With the V6 its able to tow a maximum of 6000 lbs. It also has 261 HP which is only slightly less than my V8 tundra but shoud get better MPG. Nissan has some incredible deals on trucks right now so you might want to check them out if you are in need of a new tow vehicle.
Tugly

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugly
Photos: Tugly
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On short trips we tow with a 2004 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L straight 6. Gobs of torque, and get about 11mpg. For serious long trips, we tow with a Ford Excursion V-10 - Have to look back to see if the boat is there, we get 10-12 mpg while carrying, Zodiac, outboard, camping supplies, tools, etc. Both cars do a fine job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: