The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The "New" AirHead and the Nature's Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: The "New" AirHead and the Nature's Head Reply with quote

I emailed the head airhead at AirHead (sorry couldn't resist!) Mr. Green about the recent changes to the product, and Geoff replied thusly:

Quote:
The improvements I have made over the past year are subtle and are not evident on the website they include:

1. Improved liquid separation.
2. Stainless bowl ring (was anodized aluminum).
3. Improved bowl to base seal (twist to lock) means the screws are now captive so you no longer need to remove them (and possibly lose them).
4. Improved manufacturing (we can ship in two weeks).

These improvements come from years of talking to customers and endless thought on how to make things better. I haven't really made a big deal out of my improvements so I have to wonder if people are talking about my product or confusing it with "Nature Head". Those who sell it haven't been real quick to correct people who think I designed it....I didn't. (I've got my comments below), However the design is frankly is a direct knock off that has only one benefit as far as I can see which is the seat size.....but then again it doesn't really have a seat does it?.

Oh, Air Head will have a larger seat soon.

Geoff also included a copy of his take on the differences between the AirHead and the Nature's Head:

Quote:
In regard to your email request regarding comparison of the Air Head Vs. NH....

In my slightly biased opinion you are buying a more thoroughly thought out product when purchasing the Air Head. I've been at this since the late 90's and have sold 100's, and I have spoken to 100's of customers and when there is an issue with the product I make design changes. If there is something that I think can be improved I improve it. So over the years I believe I have created something that is solid and dependable and I have made countless changes that really aren't noticeable to people. Air Head is designed to last into the foreseeable future. So the chances of someone fresh copying Air Head quality and dependability is remote right off the bat. They just can't have the breadth of understanding that I have. During FMC's tenure as an Air Head dealer he sold about 10 units....

NH is designed to be manufactured more cheaply probably because they figured they needed some advantages over Air Head since its reputation is so good. However, in the cost cutting they have taken some shortcuts:

* NH translucent bottle will get pretty ugly pretty quick due to build up of residue from urine. Air Head has a view strip with a replaceable PVC tube. If the tube gets dirty replace it at any hardware store.
* To remove the bottle of NH you need to lift the bowl exposing the solid "goods" for a few seconds. Air Head liquid tank is pulled out using a pull at the bottom the bottle tilts under the spout. The Air Head bottle has 1 3/4 gallon capacity when used as designed. However, it really has two gallons if you lifted the bowl as you do the NH. In fact I"ve seen them demonstrate my product that way. It used to annoy me.
* There appear to be no carrying handles on the NH solid tank!
* Air Head comes complete with a solid tank transport lid when you carry the tank off of the boat. You might check to see if NH comes with a lid for use when you empty the solid tank, I haven't seen one.
* Air Head comes with starter peat moss, liners, enzyme, mounting screws, hose, fan, four pages of illustrated instructions edited over the course of six years. I'm not sure what NH comes with and the instructions are brief.
* the lid of the Air Head has seals. NH has none.
* My favorite: You can lift the seat and urinate into the Air Head like a real man! NH requires you to run a stream over the seat that does not lift. I understand that we mariners will in rough weather sit, but isn't it nice to stand when things calm down?

Size:

Air Head measures 17.5" front to back see, attachment. NH seems to be deeper:

FIrstmatescabin.com says:
17 ¾ inches front to rear, and is just under 20 inches tall. It also features a full size molded-in seat for safety and comfort.

A dealer, "ecovita.net" says:
Measuring from top: 18.75" deep (+ about .25 for rear hinge); another inch is necessary when the lid is up, so factor 20" depth.

Hmmm FMC seems to have left out some pertinent information.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a N.H had a A.H on the cruise ship . Trouble free even with rentals.No odor even in our heat and humidity .No way I would even consider any any other type of head unit on a personal boat if it fits the space. Just ordered another for a 25 we will deliver in Sept.
Not on Geoff's payroll.Spoke at length with the other fellow too.
Im sure either one will work fine too.We went with Geoff's product.
Marc

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cracks me up that Geoff's last name is Trott! He was helpful and responsive when I contacted him about buying an extra fan. I can see a stainless ring on the bowl would be better, but certainly no big deal. The unit is so simple, it will last forever, and peat moss is, well, dirt cheap. It was just dumb good luck that the gals who bought our 22 suggested that we research the Airhead...

I see the Airhead runs about $90 more than the Nature's Head, and it looks to me that Geoff's comments on the differences are right on. The small advantages Geoff points out are not huge but real, and Nature's Head clearly is a knock off design. The one design element that looks better on the Nature's Head is the way the bowl fastens to the solids tank, the stainless clamps would be better than the screws, but given that I remove it once a year tops, it is really no big deal. The liquid tank configuration on the Airhead is clearly superior to the Nature's Head. You probably would be delighted with either one compared to a standard marine head, but the extra $90 for the Airhead seems worth it to me.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my interest has sufficiently been piqued! I went to their website and checked it out. Very impressive and simple (I like simple). The footprint appears to be the same or even a little smaller than my porta potti and about 19" tall, a little taller than my P-P.

Couldn't find how much it weighs though, doesn't look like it could weigh much. Does anybody know?

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
YACD

City/Region: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
Photos: F. Silvestris
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my AH only for three months so experience is limited, but very pleased so far. Excellent build quality, no odor at all and no trouble.

Don't you larger folks find it a bit cramped -- but maybe you find the standard unit cramped too.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat , I chuckle every time I look up his name and call . Its Trotts. Kinda reminds me of the green apple quick steps..............
Marc
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youse guys should just be glad he named it the

"Airhead"

instead of the

"Trotts Pot #2".

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: