The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pumpout adapter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Pumpout adapter? Reply with quote

The story of the fellow filling the waste access with water prompts this question:

How many of you carry an adapter for a pumpout hose (as opposed to relying on the pumpout station to have one)? Which make/model do you have and where did you get it, if you have one?

As you can guess, I don't have one!

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Warren, I have no idea - you don't need one with an Airhead! BTW, emptied the solids bucket yesterday (one good eye and all), after a year of use, and it was only half full of nice odorless crumbly compost. This thing works as advertised! I continue to be amazed by it, and also continue to be amazed why everyone else puts up with regular marine heads and is skeptical about the Airhead!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry an adaptor--pruchased thru West Marine--1.5" diameter. We have found that most pumpouts have the appropiate adaptor, with the exception of some at Lake Powell.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren,

I feel we can talk about anything since you used our adaptor for your poop tank at Lake Powell. Cool They are inexpensive - under $10. We have used ours in places besides Lake Powell... seems that some people swipe them from pump outs occasionally. Now, that's cheap! Crook

Best wishes,
Jim
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Gosh, Warren, I have no idea - you don't need one with an Airhead! BTW, emptied the solids bucket yesterday (one good eye and all), after a year of use, and it was only half full of nice odorless crumbly compost. This thing works as advertised! I continue to be amazed by it, and also continue to be amazed why everyone else puts up with regular marine heads and is skeptical about the Airhead!

I would probably go with the AirHead if I could talk the Admiral into it. Maybe you can help me do so -- are you going to be at Sequim (Lori will not be with me at Bellingham)?

Warren
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now call it the "composting option" The next 25 we deliver will have the new improved Airhead .Might put one on the next Tomcat as well .
No problems with the one I had on C.S. #4. I am with Pat . Trouble free ,butt simple and green .

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I could Google it, but how is the new Airhead improved?

Wefings wrote:
The next 25 we deliver will have the new improved Airhead.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting an Airhead on my new TomCat, but the C-dory factory said they'd charge for the standard head/pumpout system plus what it would cost to install and purchase the Airhead. Sooo, I went with the standard pumpout system which is not all that bad, but requires frequent emptying due to the small 9 gal tank.

I checked out the new composting toilet mentioned by Wefings... Nature's Head... and it seemed pretty good too.

The only thing that bothers me about the composting toilets is that you'd have to carry the pee jar out to empty it at just about every landing to avoid odor from that. And, how much different is it dumping a 2 gallon pee jar than dumping a 3 gallon Porta - Potti?

At my home marina, the toilets are against the swimming pool and the outdoor cafe tables have to be traversed to get there. I am thinking it'd be kind of embarassing to be continually hauling a 2 gallon pee jar thru the tables of ppl eating... ugh!

But, I do think the composting toilets are neat. I think one would be neat in my barn so I wouldn't have to go all the way back up to the main house when nature called.

I have a question about the solar powered vents for these heads. Would there be enough light in a covered slip to power these solar vent fans?

John
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our CD25 at the 2005 SBS, and part of the deal was that the C-Dory factory would the charge for the marine head. I bought and installed the Airhead separately. I sure don't understand why they wouldn't do the same for you. When we bought it in 2005, the Airhead was $800, I see it is now up to $960.

In most places it is fine to empty the liquid tank out in open waters - urine is actually sterile (that is why you could, if you had to in order to survive, drink your own urine). You are right, though - whatever odor is associated with the Airhead is from the liquid tank. Less so however than a standard marine head - at the CBGTs in Friday Harbor and Anacortes, it was not Daydream that was stinking up the place! The liquid tank can definitely handle two people for a weekend. The really remarkable thing however is the capacity of the solids tank. An entire year, and it was only about half full - and we are year round cruisers here.
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Pat. Say, do you know what the improvements have been on the Airhead? How does that Nature's Head system compare to the Airhead unit?

Can a solar vent get enough light under a high roofed covered slip?

John
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left out a critical word...it was supposed to say "Part of the deal was that the C-Dory factory would DELETE the charge for the marine head," which they did.

Don't know about the other brand of composting toilet, but I imagine they would all work pretty much the same.

We had a solar vent, there was never enough sunlight around here to keep it charged, so we ditched it.

Pat Anderson wrote:
We bought our CD25 at the 2005 SBS, and part of the deal was that the C-Dory factory would the charge for the marine head. I bought and installed the Airhead separately. I sure don't understand why they wouldn't do the same for you. When we bought it in 2005, the Airhead was $800, I see it is now up to $960.

In most places it is fine to empty the liquid tank out in open waters - urine is actually sterile (that is why you could, if you had to in order to survive, drink your own urine). You are right, though - whatever odor is associated with the Airhead is from the liquid tank. Less so however than a standard marine head - at the CBGTs in Friday Harbor and Anacortes, it was not Daydream that was stinking up the place! The liquid tank can definitely handle two people for a weekend. The really remarkable thing however is the capacity of the solids tank. An entire year, and it was only about half full - and we are year round cruisers here.
Doryman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
We had a solar vent, there was never enough sunlight around here to keep it charged, so we ditched it.

From the AirHead FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Can the fan be turned off for periods when -- for instance -- the boat will be on a mooring?
A: We do not recommend the unit remain installed with the fan disconnected. Moisture and a musty smell will be noticed inside the cabin when the fan is not running for any long period of time. We recommend the use of a small five to ten watt solar panel to offset the drain on the batteries.

How do you deal with this without the solar vent?

Warren
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Daydream plugged into shore power when it is stored at home or at Hilton Harbor. A 5 watt solar panel connected to a dedicated battery, say a lawn mower battery, would probably be a great solution if shore power is not available. What I was referring to was the tiny little milliwatt solar thingee in the vent cover that was supposed to charge an AA battery - no she go.

Doryman wrote:

How do you deal with this without the solar vent?

Warren
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. Pat, I bought my TomCat right in the middle of C-Dory's closing the internal retail sales division. That is what left me alone on a parking lot with a new TomCat on foam blocks, having to figure everything out on my own.

I am guessing they were also trying to enforce a "no custom work" policy in which all new boats were identically equipped. For whatever reason, they said I HAD to accept and pay for the standard marine head. At least the salesman told me that...

All in all, I love the boat, so that is all water under the bridge. I'd like to go the composting toilet route, but see that as an extra expense right now - maybe later.

Thanks for all the info,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: