The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Chevy / GMC trailer fuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Chevy / GMC trailer fuses Reply with quote

This may have been brought up sometime in the past but its new to me and I thought I would pass it along. Did you know that Chevrolet and GMC trucks have separate fused circuits for trailer connectors? My running lights worked fine on our 2006 Chevy truck but wouldn't work on the trailer, I tracked it down to a blown fuse under the hood that is just for the trailer, at the same time I found another blown fuse to the trailer for the backup lights, this is the circuit that goes to the backup solenoid disconnect that allows you to backup without activating the surge brakes (a pain in the butt for two years now). I have extra fuses but I think I will make a point of disconnecting the trailer each time it goes in the water, I never thought it would matter because the lights are all sealed but something must make it short out.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same line - I noticed my left tail/turn/stop light was NOT working on my boat trailer. This was when connected to the 2004 Chev Suburban 1/2 ton. I couldn't find anything wrong with the trailer lights. Over time, I found that my cargo trailer had the same problem. So I got out my multi meter and there was no power from the corresponding prongs in the (factory installed) trailer plug.

So I took the Suburban to the mechanic and he fixed it. It was a fuse under the hood as well. I'd never heard of that.

/david
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they use seprate fuses for the trailer.... good idea I think...I had to find that myself....just could not understand why the truck tail lights would work and the traier lights would not.... now I carry extra fuses...but the real answer is to unplug the trailer before diping er in...

Joel
SEA3PO
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy / GMC trailer fuses Reply with quote

sportner wrote:
I think I will make a point of disconnecting the trailer each time it goes in the water

I've always disconnected the electical plug to the trailer prior to "dipping" it in the water, otherwise your trailer brake lights will come on and heat up the bulbs and make them more prone to "blow".

Obviously, with the surge brakes, you'll want to disconnect after the boat is already inclined down the ramp.

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: