The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

swim platform question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin-

Here's the bow ladder idea from Bill and Brenda Russell from a previous thread (link below).

I have been corresponding with Bill and Brenda about the Boarding Ladder and Seat Bench Project discussed previously. They have been very ingenious in following through with the original concept!!!

“I HAVE ADOPTED THE COCKPIT SEAT IDEA FOR MY 22 CRUISER BY USING YOUR IDEA FOR THE SEAT/BOARDING PLANK. THANK YOU.

I ALSO MADE A BOARDING LADDER THAT ATTACHES TO THE BOW RAIL OR THE FRONT CLEAT. IT IS MADE UP OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. THREE STEP FOLDING (BASS PRO) LADDER.

2. EYE HOOK (1/2'') WITH 1'' ANGLE IRON.

3. ALUMINUM L CARPET CUSHION.

4. ALUMINUM FLAT CARPET CUSHION.

IT FOLDS UP AND IS LIGHT WEIGHT.

MY LADDER WORKS GREAT FOR MY 70 YEAR OLD KNEES WHEN BOARDING FROM THE TRAILER OR WHEN BEACHED.

Here you can see the attachment set up. An eye bolt with a slot cut out fits around the rail tube and either a nut or roll pin can be used to lock the eye bolt onto the top of the ladder support. Note the cut out also in the inside edge of the aluminum bracket. The tolerance can be made so tight that the resulting unit rotates on and off the boat without having to tighten the nut or put in and remove the roll pin. End of eye bolt has been covered with a white rubber tube for protection from abrasion to passengers. Great Job, Bill!!!

Here you can see the extensions added to the legs of the boarding ladder to hold it out from the falling away angle of the hull. They have been attached to a carpet padded bunk designed to spread out the load and fit the hull. Bill used a Bass Pro Shops ladder, but it looks exactly the same as the Garelick ladder I have on my stern.

Here you can see the bench seat project in place and the boarding ladder stored. Note how neatly the carpeted pad helps hold the ladder quietly and securely.

Here is the link to theoriginal thread on boarding ladders, boarding planks, and such: (
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1652

I also have a bow mounted boarding ladder project that is shown at the bottom of the first page in a few photos and text.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a ladder better than Garelick? I have nothing against Garelick, just wondering what else is out there.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Can anyone recommend a ladder better than Garelick? I have nothing against Garelick, just wondering what else is out there.

Warren

The one pictured above on my boat is a Windline.

I can't say that Windline is better than Garelick across the board, but that one is quite substantial.

Look for stainless, not aluminum, and get as large diameter tubes as possible.

Then too, some designs are just structurally better than others.

It's best if you can go to a marine hardware store and look directly at any ladder you are considering purchasing.

Imagining how one fits on to your hull can be very difficult to do; you need to take it out of the store and put it against the hull and see how it fits. Take the boat along to the store and try out several alternatives.

Also, don't forget a railmaker's shop could always make a custom ladder for a difficult situation.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe I searched for about and hour for this. I used a stainless Garlick folding ladder that I already had. If I had to buy one I'd go with the telescoping Windline. I had some adhesive backed rubber that I used in place of the carpet. The eyebolt idea really works well and is easy to put on and take off and very substantial.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin2439-

You're welcome regarding finding the article. I seem to be able to remember details that allow one to use the Search engine more effectively, and also know where to look in the Forums.

Either ladder arrangement works well. The advantage of Bill's design is that it can be taken off and stored.

Mind stores right where it is turned up inside the bow pulpit, and doesn't have to have a stand-off leg because the bow rail serves that purpose.

Enjoy your boat!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I do plan on either making or installing the factory cooler rack, so guess we will just see how well we’re able to traverse over the side to our tender. Can’t see installing a swim step if it’s not accessible.
My thoughts are making a cooler rack that will double as a cleaning table when the cooler is removed.
We just need to get out and use the boat and figure out what works best for us.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
We just need to get out and use the boat and figure out what works best for us.

We’ve had no problem getting in and out of our tender this summer, a boarding ladder or swim step for us would be a waste of space and money. On the few times we’ve actually beached the boat we’ve found no need for a boarding ladder either.
Also, the Alaska Series Tender has been great, I’ve had little problem launching and retrieving it single handed.
What a great summer its been for us and our little home away from home.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the factory swim step on our 22 and an after market swim step (much less expensive, and probably a better ladder) on the 25. We use it mostly when stern to the beach, and never getting into the dinghy. We just step into the dinghy from the cockpit floor--perhaps our legs are longer than the average. But this way is far safer and more stable than using the swim step. We use the Garhauer davit to put the kicker motor on the dinghy, since it is mounted on the opposite side of the dinghy. The swim step is used also for swimming..but again, this is in warmer water than in the PNW (except perhaps Desolation sound area).

Consider after market steps--and yes, you do have to remove the fuel tank for installation of any of these--just remember to epoxy the holes that you drill in the transom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: