The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R25 Cummins vs yanmar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmlstudio

City/Region: Oceanport
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: R25 Cummins vs yanmar Reply with quote

HI we are new to the forum and have a question for you. With the new R25 model year offering only cummins engines and the closeouts in 2008 still having some limited choices for yanmar or cummins, I'm interested to understand the pros and cons of engine choice with particular emphasis on noise, fuel economy, performance, longevity, and maintenance. We are considering both choices for a new purchase and would like feedback from folks that may have already made or influenced the choice either way.
[/quote]
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: r 25 Reply with quote

I have the 110 Yanmar..
Fuel economy is excellent, but we cruise at a very slow speed...1800 to 2200 ....between 1.8 and 2 gal per hour.
Noise: i understand the Cummins is quieter..but the 110 certainly not overbearing..i have had four diesels.
Longevity: I'm 70...i'm not worried
My mechanic tells me that he has serviced hundreds of these engines...both the earlier version and the turbo..and finds them simple to maintain, durable .
Some say that Yanmar is not easy to deal with if there is a problem. I have a dealer here who also sells a high end sailboat withthis engine and they say their relationship with Yanmar has been excellent
The main selling point i read here about Cummins is the additional speed. That does not interest me'
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have test drove both boats and the yamnar, which I think is a great company, does not go fast enough to make the boat usable to me. We crossed it off the list of future boats after the ride. This spring we got a chance to run the cummins powered boat and the R25 shot to the top of susans list and to second on my list. With the new engine it is fast enough to get me where I want to go in the time frame that I have, just. We were able to cruise at 18 knots in a 3 ft sea in comfort. In my 22 cd I would not have been able to maintan that speed with out getting jarred around. We were really pleased with the ride in sea's and at speed. not sure i want to fish out of it, but mac fishies out of his. I just dont know how much trouble it is.

And this is not a post to argure the merits of slow vs fast. some people both like and have the time to go slow ( 10 kts) . Even if I had the time I could not go 10 kts all day. It drives me and susan crazy. As long as the ride is good I would be happy at 80kts as I am at 20 kts, but 20 knts is the low end for me.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly favor the Cumins 150, if for nothing else than for resale value.

The boat did not perform as advertised with the Yanmar--it does with the Cumins.

The Cumins seems to be quieter--it has an excellent reliability record.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: