The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow vehicle Dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the thread is hijacked.......But hey, nice wannbe truck Cool
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jay, I tow the C-25 with a 2006 F-250. Since it gets such crappy gas mileage, it sits in the driveway except to tow the boat. Listen, I had to buy that sucker new, and every time I look at it I get mad.

Now, if that truck of yours is paid for and in good shape, just accept the fact that it's only used to tow the boat. Have you priced gas efficient cars/trucks/SUVs these days? Keeping it more sense than laying out $20K for another set of wheels to pull the boat. Just buy small and cheap for transportation. And your taxes and insurance will be cheaper.

Boris
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
If the truck is a diesel I would keep it for sure. They sip fuel for their size, pull lots in great comfort, and hold their resale value very well. I have a diesel F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 dually that I haul a 12 foot camper (5000 plus pounds) and I pull my CD 22 with all at the same time. It has been very, very, dependable over the course of 120,000 miles (all towing and hauling) And, even with this heavy load, it still gets better mpg than my brothers Toyota v6 does when pulling his smaller (yet slightly heavier) Bayliner at the same speed and he doesn't even have anything in the back as it is 4 Runner. I think that you should buy a cheap little in town beater to drive daily and keep the real truck. I bet when compared to the depreciation of the new vehicle, taxes, licensing fees, and all the other "little" stuff that one has to consider when getting a new and in this case, likely a marginal tow vehicle since it will be downsizing, will be an insignificant amount of money that you are "saving". And, since you have experienced how wonderful it is to pull with a full sized HD pickup, you will wish you still had it every time you hook the boat up to the mini.

You do make valid points right down to the beater; I drive an 83 Datsun 2 wheel drive Pickup I bought cheep and gets 23mpg in town. Even up here in Alaska it does fine in the winter with a couple of sand bags and studs.
My wife would like to put a camper on the 250 also, but that would be her nickel.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad Im stuck with my Duramax ! I feel safe and get 20mpg at 80 on the highway with 4 people. No less than 11 or 12 with the biggest boat I tow.
For town I prefer the 1982 Honda 70 Passport Scooter. I look pretty funny but its fun !
Marc

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to totally stay out of this one but
If your truck is paid for---
and it only has 60k miles on it---
and it is a PSD---
and you use it for towing---
Why would you possibly consider getting rid of it for an inferior tow vehicle that will instantly cost you more than one or two years of daily driving fuel when you drive it off the lot?????
America is truly the land of the consumer.

Eric
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, OK, I had a lapse in judgment, a week moment if you will. Just thought I’d toss the thought out there, and it’s been an eye opener for me.
If the Ford dies I always have my trusty backup; it could use a set of air shocks from JCW though.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Totally off the topic Reply with quote

So, when is the somewhat yearly PWS gathering this year? Did I miss it while riding waves in the Gulf and catching halibut? It has been year since I have been to one. We should organize one. By the way, that D21 or the 720 is a great little pickup. You really need to keep it. Also, why is your driveway so dry? It has been dumping at my house. 10 inches in the 14 days; seriously.....Where is the sun?
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Totally off the topic Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
So, when is the somewhat yearly PWS gathering this year? Did I miss it while riding waves in the Gulf and catching halibut? It has been year since I have been to one. We should organize one. By the way, that D21 or the 720 is a great little pickup. You really need to keep it. Also, why is your driveway so dry? It has been dumping at my house. 10 inches in the 14 days; seriously.....Where is the sun?

Good drainage, all those cracks, and 10 minutes of sunshine-our weekly dose.
Haven’t heard anything about a PWS gathering but not sure I could drag my wife to one, it’s the isolation and privacy of PWS she enjoys so much.
But if anyone wont to suggest a gathering on a weekend were going out I’ll try and make it. It would be a great opportunity of share ideas and perhaps finagle some good fishing spots, I sure haven’t found many out there, but its our first year.
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: The Answer Reply with quote

Jay,
Here's what I did, but it's likely too late now. About four years ago I realized I was putting a bunch of miles on my utility vehicle just driving around, which was not really its intended purpose. At that time it had about 80K miles on it. So rather than buy a new vehicle I figured I could pretty much stop using it and keep it for towing, off-road use, running to the lumber yard, etc. I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought an Echo. Best thing I ever did. In 2004 it cost $10K because nobody wanted them, and I called it the Urban Assualt Vehicle. Great for running around town, what with a real 31-34 MPG. Now everbody wants something like it.

If you need a truck have at it. If you just want to drive a truck, think about getting a good, cheap (if there is such a thing these days) economical car, and keep your garage queen for towing and other stuff.

Mike
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Answer Reply with quote

MikeMac wrote:
Jay,
Here's what I did, but it's likely too late now. About four years ago I realized I was putting a bunch of miles on my utility vehicle just driving around, which was not really its intended purpose. At that time it had about 80K miles on it. So rather than buy a new vehicle I figured I could pretty much stop using it and keep it for towing, off-road use, running to the lumber yard, etc. I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought an Echo. Best thing I ever did. In 2004 it cost $10K because nobody wanted them, and I called it the Urban Assualt Vehicle. Great for running around town, what with a real 31-34 MPG. Now everbody wants something like it.

If you need a truck have at it. If you just want to drive a truck, think about getting a good, cheap (if there is such a thing these days) economical car, and keep your garage queen for towing and other stuff.

Mike

I agree. My daily driver is a used Ford Focus that I bought a couple of years ago. It was only $4000 and gets about the same MPG. But, nonetheless, saving the giant for what it was intended to do is money in the bank in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: