The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennet or Lenco, need some help..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Installation of the Bennet Trim tabs appear straight forward, it’s the fuel tank issue that concerns me. It appears removal of the fuel tanks is necessary so that you can access the hydraulic lines that run through the transom at the top of the actuators. I think the Lenco installation allows you to bring their electric lines up far enough so removal of the fuel tanks is not necessary.
My boat will always be stored dry so for that reason the Lenco are more attractive.
I’ve got no qualms about removing the fuel tanks to install the Bennet’s and perhaps I’ll go that rout; they do appear more reliable in the long run.

Good advice from everyone, I appreciate it all.

breausaw-

Here's some advice for you and any future readers of this thread. (I"m trying to make these answers broad enough to serve as reference to anyone willing to read through them now or in the future, not just specific to one individual. I apologize to you if you've already read though them!)

You may want to read this thread if you haven't already: (General instructions plus details on how to get the actuators to fit behind the tanks)

Bennett Trim Tab Installation

And this one: (Classic discussion of Lenco vs. Bennetts and some Lenco faults)

Lenco Trim Tabs

There are even more threads in the Library Forum on Hydrofoils and Trim Tabs.

Lastly, did you look at all the photos under Trim Tabs and Hydrofoil Photo Details?

Then you can roll the dice and make a choice!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my starboard fuel tank out right now for some through hull upgrades. It appears that you will have to pull the tanks to install the trim tabs if you want to be sure of a good seal behind the tank. The lines through the hull are opposite the top triangular-shaped actuator mount.

Mine appear not to be sealed from the inboard side. It may be that I'm anal and it's not necessary. You may get lucky and not drill a hole through the tank and get a proper seal from the outside. Just my humble opinion.

Speaking of anal. I'm about to search this site for views on relocation of the Bennett pump and reservoir. Mine is in the middle of my tanks and I've always been afraid of something heavy sliding aft and smashing the thing to bits. I'm considering the starboard lazaret. Don't want to steal your thread for a tangent but some input on my lunacy may be relevant to your install.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks may want to review the Installation Instructions from Bennett Trim Tabs

"Step 5 - Feed the taped end of the tubing through the 3/4" hole in transom. Apply sealant on the mounting surface of the actuators and around the brass fitting. Secure the actuator upper mounts to transom with #14 x 1-1/2 " screws."

The actuators are designed so that you don't have to remove the tanks, and can simply install them from outside the transom, drilling all holes and doing the installation from outside.

After drilling the 3/4" holes, one should throughly seal them with epoxy or 4200 before bedding the actuator head in the hole. The tubing is simply inserted and runs up over the tank and can be led to the pump once you get a hold of it from the bilge, reaching over the tank. (So what's to worry about?) Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe.
After looking at the instructions and examining my previosly installed tabs it appears that they were indeed installed without removing the tank. The pressure hose has a 90 degree plastic do-hickey on the inboard side. My concerns after inspection of the hole is that it does not appear to be done to your exacting specifications...i.e. drill, relieve, fill and drill. The hole is rather jagged as there was no anti break-out support but I don't see any evidence of water egress.

If I do relocate my reservoir I wondering if I should go to the trouble of putting in new hoses which appears to require removal of the top bracket of the actuator or just put splice blocks in.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpmccoy wrote:
Thanks Joe.
<Some discussion deleted>
If I do relocate my reservoir I wondering if I should go to the trouble of putting in new hoses which appears to require removal of the top bracket of the actuator or just put splice blocks in.

If you read through the other threads on this, someone wanted to put the pump under the galley, but the hoses with their new kit were too short. They talked to Bennett (probably Tom*) and he quoted the pressures used in the hoses and recommended against splicing them. (Remember these are plastic hoses, not metal, and probably harder to splice correctly, probably requiring special machines or tools.) The company simply gave the new longer hoses to the C-Brat, as well as exchanging the long actuators for the short ones also needed. This is according to my memory. Was the C-Brat "rcwass"?

Pulling the top of the actuators out would, of course, allow you to do the sealing of the holes over right!

* Tom has a fantastic reputation for being friendly and helpful, plus it's FREE!
No one should ever fail to avail themselves of the free advice offered by manufacturers of the stuff we buy! Often, this saves you a lot of time, money, and grief!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the Rosborough list mentioned another kind of tabs, from Volvo. Here is a link to a dealer selling them. (I did not take the time to find the appropriate Volvo page because I know Joe will. Mr. Green )

This is what the Rosborough owner had to say:

Quote:
Check out the Volvo BTS system. These are vertical interceptor blades, the kind developed for megayachts, rather than the conventional horizontal plates. I've used various tabs before and the performance from these is the best. After using these I wouldn't consider a conventional tab, especially for a trailerable boat as they fully retract so there's no plate sticking out the back. New units come with an optional GPS antenna. First trim the boat then push "A" and the boat trim is automatically remembered, even when powered off, to automatically compensate for changes of boat attitude caused by speed, wind or people moving about onboard. Very kool! You can reset a new position at any time or override the automatic mode. I installed a set of the original BTS system (GPS optional was introduced in '07) on a 22' walkaround cuddy, weight 4500lb. If anyone wants a pdf of the installation --there were errors in the instruction manual, which I'm sure have been fixed by now -- send me an email. We're purchased the 450 kit and the auto trim system for our Rossie. Just need the boat.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Someone on the Rosborough list mentioned another kind of tabs, from Volvo. Here is a link to a dealer selling them. (I did not take the time to find the appropriate Volvo page because I know Joe will. Mr. Green )

The Volvo Penta QL Trim Tabs appear quite innovative, but couldn’t find a good working picture. There’s lots of positive discussions and feedback on the web though, and lots of stock pictures. I’ll see if the local Volvo Penta dealer has a set to check out.
The control panel is sweet, the best I’ve seen.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Old Bennett trim tabs Reply with quote

25 yrs. ago I purchased a set of Bennett tabs and installed them on a previous boat. Used them one season, removed them and sold the boat as it was a clunker. The tabs have been under my work bench ever since. They appear to be like new yet.

Would you use them again??? Are the new ones any better or just more complicated with bells/whistles.????

Thanks for any advice.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Bennett on the CD 22 and was happy with them apart from a minor hydraulic leak which was virtually inside the transom area. Just needed tightening but that stuff turns 4200 into Tofu !!

Have Lenco on the RF and the biggest difference is that they are very fast in operation so require a light touch if you are at speed or you will have an "ooops".
Advantages are ease of installation, self cancelling on power off and position indicators. So far have found no disadvantages. Kepping legs crossed Laughing

Merv

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bennet or Lenco, need some help.. Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Could someone please help me make up my mind: Bennett or Lenco, 12X12 or 12X10, rocker or joy stick control.
I’d like to order this weekend to take advantage of good sales prices.
I’m leaning toward the Lenco 12X12 edge mount, and know electricity and salt water don’t mix but not that fond of having hydraulic lines running all over the place either. I like the straight forward approach to the Lenco setup but have heard good things about the Bennett sport tabs also.

Lenco = Junk, Bennett = only having to do it once Wink Mr. Green Beer
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today:
x Bennett M120 Sport Tab System w/ Electronic Indicator Control (M120EIC)
= $619.71
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $619.71
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $619.71
Free shipping to Alaska… Very Happy

The Electronic Indicator Control (EIC5000) combines the popular Bennett rocker switch, trim tab indicator, and Auto Tab Retractor. Like the Tab Position Indicator, it is waterproof, highly accurate and features variable intensity LED's for night or day.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind! Thumbs Up
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat Leveler brand was installed on my boat from the factory, zero problems so far. I'd consider them nearly equal to Bennett's.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: