The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Noisy windshield wipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Noisy windshield wipers Reply with quote

It seems to me when they were new, the wipers were almost silent. They quickly started making rumbling noise.....not from the blades, but within the motor housing. They work fine, just noisy. Anybody experience this and discovered why, and a solution?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Right from the get-go, our starboard wiper motor was noisy; much more so than the port side. I had to replace the motor after a year when it completely quit. When I opened the old one up, there was a piece inside that had sheared off. My guess is that the arm that rotates inside the housing was never positioned properly and with enough use, it wore through the metal.

Removing the motor is easy... getting the wiper arm off the motor was a giant pain in the rear (I finally had to cut it off)... and you have to do that to get at the opening side of the motor.

You may be due to replace the motor before long.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Sealife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Sounds like my identical problem, right down to the difficulty in getting the wiper arm off. I tried and failed, finally gave up frustrated. When you finally cut the wiper arm off, did you discover what was holding it on so tightly? Was it just friction and corosion?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Two set screws are what is supposed to hold it on. The corrosion had pretty much fused the arm to the motor shaft. Even when I cut it off (at the shaft), I couldn't get the wiper arm off. When I installed the new one, I put some white grease on the shaft and inside the fitting on the arm. It may make it easier the next time.

A while back, someone posted about a battery terminal tool that would work to help pull the wiper arm off. I tried a search and didn't come up with it. Anyone else?

I reset the sweep to 110º before reinstalling - works much better on the window on our 25. Finding just the right position for the arm so that it parks at the side of the window is a trial and error solution. Allow yourself plenty of time for this project... I figured an hour or two to pull and replace the motor... figuring time allowed for a stiff drink, some swearing, having to dive under the boat to get the wiper arm I dropped, more swearing, the cutting, the bandaging, pulling, more swearing, grunting, stopping to catch my breath... about 2 days +/-. Crook
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

A while back, someone posted about a battery terminal tool that would work to help pull the wiper arm off. I tried a search and didn't come up with it. Anyone else?

Here ya' go with that discussion Wiper Motor for a CD25

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sealife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim looks like I'm in for a bit of "fun". BTW, my starboard wiper is the one giving me problems, and it's installed upside down from the way the port one is installed. You think that makes any difference? The sweep and park is ok.
Sealife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are the greatest. Battery puller is the right tool for this job. Will try to locate the set screws then use the battery puller. Thank you all.

Of course, once I get it off, I'm not sure if there is anything I can adjust to make it run quieter. I don't want to buy another one of the same make, since this one went bad very quickly.....perhaps shoddy construction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: