The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoryJean- parrott

City/Region: Americus
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dory Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Trim Tabs Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My name is David Parrott.........My father was Dr. Frank Parrott who passed away a few weeks ago. Cry He Loved this boat of his, the C-Dory. He always wanted to get trim tabs on the boat.....It is a 22" Cruiser.........Does anyone have, or suggestions for what type to put on there.......I need some feed back...............My dad loved this boat and it even kept him going through the bad times........I am going to keep his dreams going and remember his love for boating
David Parrott
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Sorry to hear about your dad but am pleased to see you will continue the tradition as the family C-brat. Trim tabs have been extensively discussed on the site before and you can find many of the discussions by using the search feature.

Here's a couple of links to previous discussions to get you started.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=8428&highlight=trim+tabs
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=7134&highlight=trim+tabs

DoryJean- parrott

City/Region: Americus
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dory Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that it has...THat is the reason i wanted to get in touch with a few other C-Dory Brats................SO do you have them on your boat and if so did it help.....
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoryJean- parrott wrote:
I thought that it has...THat is the reason i wanted to get in touch with a few other C-Dory Brats................SO do you have them on your boat and if so did it help.....

Trim tabs really help smooth the ride out by lowering the bow. Most people have bennett trim tabs. I honestly don't know the model number. You could always call a c-dory dealer and ask them what kind they install but chances are another brat will chime in with the answer. Here's a picture of mine.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Bennett trim tabs are the M120's. I think they're the same as Spencer's pictured above. As Tyboo says, it's almost as if they're designed for C-Dory's. Here's a pic of ours mounted on the boat. The bracket is called a Mini-Jacker. I know the factory had some available during the factory party in January. You might want to call them.

David, I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. I'm sure he would be pleased to know you're carrying on the C-Dory tradition.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Trim tab running angle Reply with quote

I have the standard Bennet trim tabs the factory installs on my CD22. I have a Honda 90 and 9.9 and I find I run with the tabs down about 35 or 40% judging by the indicator, with some side to side variation depending on boat loading. Seems the boat makes the most MPH per RPM in that area, and things just feel right.....

As noted by others, I'll sometimes force the bow down more running into chop (helps ride quality a LOT) and more bow up if I'm overrunning waves downwind (down swell....)

I'll bet that moving as much weight as possible forward in the boat and running less tab deflection would reduce drag and help efficiency. Not sure I'll get around to doing that, though.

Where do other people run their tabs most of the time? Retracted, part way down, lots of down?

Jeff
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always run with mine probably 1/4 to 1/2 way down. Not only is the ride smoother but the fuel economy is better.
Zelpha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From past experience, on some boats all down on Bennett tabs can cause broaching (18 ft Dory). Was I ever scared! In my opinion they are the greatest addition to trim however. Zelpha
Zelpha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also once built a LUGAR 22 ft fiberglass cruiser from a kit (much like the 22 C-Dory only with a very deep-V hull). Was it ever prone to broach. Once returning from Santa Rosa Island to Santa Barbara in that boat in the afternoon (gets very rough there with high short wavelength waves) my two passengers (one a Boeing SST engineer) were found in the cabin holding a prayer vigil. Broaching is a one-time experience. Zelpha
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the moter trims so props are aligned with boat bottom then use Bennett trim to adjust by gps best speed for any given rpm. This usually is about a 12 to 15 out of a max 20 on the trim gauges. Can differ much from usual depending on speed, total weight and weight distribution. When heavily loaded on a long cruise especially with the extra fuel in cockpit run trims maxed out most all the time, except at displacement speed when if left fully down they will slow the boat by about .5 mph which doesn't sound like much, but at 5 mph it could mean a 10 % loss in fuel economy or range, so I now try to remember to fully retract when just easing along.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: