The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Waeco or Engel ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Waeco or Engel ? Reply with quote

I've been looking at both Waeco and Engel refrigrator freezers on line and trying to decide which might be the better choice. Prices are about the same. I read the other day on a forum that the Waeco didn't keep things frozen in hot weather. The author didn't say what part of the country he was in or where he had the cooler installed. I plan to install mine under the helm seat as others have done. Can anyone out there owning either unit give a report on how well they function?
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a WAECO because Brent on Discovery has had good luck with his. He lives in a hot state (Utah). Hopefully he will see this and comment further. Bob on Thataway has one too but I don't know what brand it is.

Discovery's WAECO Thataway's

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
YACD

City/Region: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
Photos: F. Silvestris
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CF-40 (39qt) medium size Waeco isn't "rectangular" inside. There's a protrusion on one of the shorter sides which removes some useful space, so check that you don't mind it. Here's a diagram which illustrates:

http://www.thecellarstore.com/images/waeco/cf40-dims.jpg

Waeco units use the Danfoss compressor (German I believe) of which Bob Austin has spoken highly.

I own the smallest Engel. I haven't had it long but it has already successfully survived some pretty good banging around on the boat. It has a different compressor, apparently far simpler than the Danfoss. Engel fridges are (were?) built in Japan by a Japanese company. The build quality is exceptionally good - really solid and well put together with good materials.

As far as I am aware these all these units can be used as either fridges or freezers but not both at the same time. Engel supply some very useful information about the performance of their fridges in the form of graphs of temperature against time. They seem to be highly efficient machines. It's hard to compare the electrical and thermodynamic efficiencies of the two brands because of the lack of detailed information on the Waeco.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had good luck with the Waeco. We only use it as a freezer. It seems to use about the same amount of power as the Norcold refrigerator. We ran it 24-7 for more than 60 days on our 2006-2007 winter in Florida. We filled it with frozen beef and turkey from home, and used them all winter. The smaller compartment does not keep things hard frozen. Look at the jpeg link in the above post. We used it as a thawing area, to transition items from the bigger compartment (hard frozen) to the Norcold refrigerator.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
marvin4239

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great information. Based on the sizes available I think I'm going with the Waeco CDF-40DC. I think the under helm cabinet in the 22 is probably a little smaller than 25's and Cats. I was first considering a dual voltage model but after giving it some thought I don't see any advantage since if I'm plugged into shore power or generator power the load should be picked up through the battery charger. The straight 12 volt model's exterior deminsions are slightly smaller than the dual voltage model in that the handles don't stick out on the straight 12 volt model. It appears from the pictures that the handles aren't removable on the dual voltage model.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chest type is an older (1990's vintage) Norcold with the swing motor compressor, and is the second one I have owned. It is a bit power hungry, but you need a good set of battery banks to power any of these. We use it mostly as a freezer--and transfer to the cooler, allowing the thraw to cool the ice chest.

Yes, I do believe that the Danfoss compressor is better than some of the other units. If you wanted to make a custom unit, it could be made more effecient than those which you purchase, by having more insullation. Holding plates would also have advantage....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin, I have had the 45 (I think) quart Engel for about 6 years. I bought the insulating blanket when I got it and have only used it with the blanket around it. The temperature scale goes from 1-5. 2.5 will freeze fruit and water. I used it to hard freeze an ice cream freezer. 4 on the scale did it easily.

The Engel and the Norcold are both made by Engel. I have the dual voltage model. Because mine is portable, I like the dual voltage arrangement. I get it cold in the house then load it and carry it out (heavy) to the jeep or boat.

I use the Engel instead of an ice chest every chance I get. Definitely Thumbs Up

I got mine at Big Frog Mountain out of Georgia. They had prompt and friendly customer service.

I hope this helps.

marvin4239

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the information. I finally found a Waeco website with a decent help line. The handles on their coolers are removeable which will allow me to use the dual voltage CF-40 model. My plan is to mount the unit permenantly in my boat under the helm seat and use it as a freezer loaded with bags of water/ice that can be transferred to a small cooler when I go out. I'll leave the unit plugged into shore power in the lift. Ice is a real pain for me as my dock is 1,000 feet from my house. The closest Marinas for ice are 15 miles away. My house batteries are two group 24's paralleled and I'm hoping these will be adequate. I'm guessing like most freezers it can keep thing frozen for several hours with power off? When I go on longer trips I have medications that must be keep refrigerated so with the freezer it will allow me to take longer trips. One thing I have learned through my research is according to the manufacturers air space around the Waeco unit isn't as critical as it is around the Engels.
marvin4239

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed the install of my Waeco today. In order for it to fit in the 22 I had to make the under helm cabinet 3" deeper. I used Brazilian Cherry to build it out and I think it came out pretty good. I got my hardware for the sliding shelf at Lowes and mounted it to red oak tabbed to the hull with epoxy and cloth plus bolted it where I could. I think I'll be happy with it and will extend my cruising range and trips ashore. Pictures are in my photo album in the modifications folder. Thanks for the information and recommendations.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin,

Do you have any more pictures of the AC unit? I would like to see how it is supported on the outside. Can it some loose if the boats is rocked by a large wake? Did you have to modify the center window?

Thanks,
Steve
marvin4239

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
Marvin,

Do you have any more pictures of the AC unit? I would like to see how it is supported on the outside. Can it some loose if the boats is rocked by a large wake? Did you have to modify the center window?

Thanks,
Steve

I'll try to take a couple pictures today but basicly I have what looks like a little I-beam I made out of some scrap 3/8 cabinet grade birch plywood under the unit on the outside. I think it was 2 and 1/4 inches tall and supports the weight of the unit while giving it a slight angle to allow for drainage. On the inside I cut two pieces of scrap mahogany hard wood into a wedge shape and put them above the window with the wedges opposing one another so they tighten the unit against the window frame when squeezed together. The top wedge has a slot cut in it long ways and fits into the window frame. I wouldn't use this while underway but at the dock or in the yard it's fine. The little plywood box in front of the unit is used to supprt the weight of the unit when I'm sliding it into the window frame rather than dealing with the weight of the unit with arms extended. You could probably attach some aluminum angle to the top and bottom of the unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: