The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Reflections on Flat Tires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry a 24" torque wrench with sockets which will fit the lugs. Also assorted blocks in the truck. On a long trip a 110 V air compressor (runs on Honda Generator), with tank which an impact wrench will run off of--(same socket). We also have a 2" pipe cheater bar. We also carry a 4,000 lb floor jack, so we can get under the axel if necessary, as well as the 8,000 lb bottle jack. (We have road service, but in a couple of cases we have had RV problems where we could not get a phone signal out, or it was hours for the road service to get to us.). I know that the copper containing "neversieze" is supplied with Village Marine water makers--and there you are dealing with not only salt water, but brine in the discharge product, so it must be OK for salt water.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I pay $10.00 a year for trailer insurance with BOATUS. The tow vehicle is covered by AAA. Had it for years. On top of that, BOATUS includes a trailer boating magaine.

Never used the BOATUS yet but very cheap insurance.

Fred

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We carry a 24" torque wrench with sockets which will fit the lugs. Also assorted blocks in the truck. On a long trip a 110 V air compressor (runs on Honda Generator), with tank which an impact wrench will run off of--(same socket). We also have a 2" pipe cheater bar. We also carry a 4,000 lb floor jack, so we can get under the axel if necessary, as well as the 8,000 lb bottle jack. (We have road service, but in a couple of cases we have had RV problems where we could not get a phone signal out, or it was hours for the road service to get to us.). I know that the copper containing "neversieze" is supplied with Village Marine water makers--and there you are dealing with not only salt water, but brine in the discharge product, so it must be OK for salt water.

Wow - you're prepared! Maybe Pat should simply trailer in front of you....

I came to the realization that I needed a different jack and a socket wrench and deep sockets awhile ago. I keep a 2-ton floor jack and a bunch of wooden blocks in the truck.

Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prepare for the bearing burn-out and flat tire scenario I loaded a compact 2 ton floor jack, a grease gun, extra grease cartridge, complete hub, bearings, races, seals, rags and hand cleaner into a plastic bin. The lug wrench and special sockets to fit the locking lugs ride in the truck. Having all these tools and parts on hand all but guarantee they will never be needed. Something else will go bad and then I'll call Boat US Roadside Assistance.
Mike 'Levity'
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: A REMINDER Reply with quote

I take Pat's experience as a reminder, to check--next spring, before taking the trailer on the road--that I have the needed tools, that they work, and I know how they work!
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had posted something a while ago (Feb 07) about carrying all those tools for tire and bearing repair as a guaranty they would not be needed. Well, the guaranty is now void. The right aft tire blew out or just went flat. I am unsure what happened as I did not notice any difference in the tow. A good samaritan passed and made frantic circular hand motions. Since I am pop culture illiterate, I thought this might be a new gesture indicating his displeasure with my driving and his certainty my mind, like a tetherball game, was wrapping itself around an imaginary pole! Anyway, I could feel nothing from the trailer to indicate the rim was about to eject the shredded remains of the tire like a flavorless wad of tobacco. I am duly impressed with the tandem setup; could have continued on three wheels for many miles. The tire change went well due to all the tools, supplies (including the hand cleaner) and support from my wife who vocalized encouragement from the cab:"Turn the engine back on so the a/c runs". Yes, machinery heaven and domestic bliss!
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had all the tools to fix your trailer on the road.

Your experience is far better than my last failure with a trailer. Even though I had repacked the bearings 4 short trips before I ended up with a bearing failure on my sled at 4 am on the way to the boat ramp to go fishing. I had just pulled away from the stop light when all of a sudden my trailer tire is passing us and there are sparks galore from where it SHOULD be! Yup, single axle trailer. Now this happened not to far from the original C-Dory plant on Hiway-99 (not the best place to be at that time in the morning!).

I get on the phone with Pete's Towing and ask them to bring their Biggest Flatbed as I didn't think they would be able to use dollies on the trailer. I was told the wait would be at least an hour. 2 hours later the guy pulls up with a regular tow truck takes one look at it and states that he has to go back to the barn to get the flat bed. Well gee, that is what I told the operator! Please realize, before this happened I had previously been a tow truck operator and knew precisely what needed to be done to get the boat and trailer home. After another hour a different driver finally shows up with the flat bed. He has no clue how to load the truck so I told him exactly how I wanted it loaded and we finally get it on the truck. An hour later we pulled into the driveway and this kid has no clue how to get it back off! So, I have him back up the truck to exactly where I want the boat and chain it to the post of my carport and have him drive the truck out from under the trailer. Worked like a charm. Sure scared the heck out of the kid though! The biggest problem we had was that the trailer was wider by about 3" than the flat bed was!

Afterwards I found out that when the bearing let loose and the trailer hit the ground it bent the spindle requiring me to replace the axle. All told that $6 bearing ended up costing me $1000 and 2 months of fishing time while I waited for EZLoadr to ship me the Axle. If this had been on a tandem axle I would have been able to chain up the axle and limp home. Put on new bearings and go fishing that afternoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: