The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Transom Problem Reply with quote

First.......This is in no way a manufacturing quality problem but caused by stupid. I write this only as a FYI.

Our friends have a 22' Classic C-dory exactly like ours, same year 1983.

Recently he noticed that his 100 hp. Yamaha was doing too much flexing while underway. Upon inspection the top of the transom fiberglass was found to be cracked open for about 6". It was caused when the motor was installed 5 years ago and was tightened to much crushing the top of the transom and causing the crack. It allowed water into the transom and over a period of time the wood rotted and lost all strength.
I am not all that convinced that the motor tightness could crush a solid transom so maybe it happened earlier and the motor just amplified it.
The motor is off, transom top cut loose and it will be rebuilt/fiberglassed as needed.
It is right in the middle of our king salmon season and they are losing out this year.
Check any openings into your fiberglass to make sure they are sealed up tight and look for and repair quickly any cracks etc. found in theglass.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just baught an 81 classic last month and it had the same problem, caused by the exact same thing, the guy also had the motor mounted right on top of the transom so im sure that contributed to the crack, he also had not sealed his kicker bracket holes so on the port side it was rotten all the way to the end, while you have your transom ripped open be sure to check near all your holes in it, so you can replace that at the same time, i cut the core away until it was solid, and then another three inches past that, just to be sure there was no rot left, in the end, i replaced probly 75% of the back of the boat, and the transom box, there are photos in my album of the project, more to come, when i take the time to put them on...
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin, I pm you a few weeks ago about tank gages I have layig around. if you need them email me. I know that a lot of new folks to the site dont know about p.m.s
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aint touching that one
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Transom problem Reply with quote

My friend elected to dig out the rotten wood about 2' wide and is below the top motor holes. Then it was filled with a 2 part epoxy without any wood replaced in the transom, just epoxy. Then the transom cap will be re-glassed onto the transom.

That just doesn't look too solid to me. Shouldn't the wood be replaced 1st then epoxy the wood in?????
He is going to sandwich the transom with 1/4" aluminum plate when the motor is replaced.
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy solved his C-Dory problem. He bought a new Hewescraft. C-Dory for sale. Transom almost done.

Too bad. He wasn't a C-Brat at all anyway.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

This is interesting in that I had the same problem on my 1983 Classic when I purchased it used. When I repowered the boat with a 75 4 stroke Yamaha, I had the transon rebuilt. Everything is working now.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: