The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

After a lot of agony and lusting after a CD-22' ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannabeowner2

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: After a lot of agony and lusting after a CD-22' ... Reply with quote

Sioux and I have decided a 16' Angler best meets our needs for now. And in the future, just like some of you, it could be a "second boat" when the Tomcat or the 25' looms into view.

Right now we are looking at towing behind a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country mini van. This van has the 3.3 liter 6 cylinder engine and the owner's manual says it is rated to pull 1,800# with two people in the van plus luggage. (We don't plan on passengers with an Angler!)

My rough calculations (boat 850#, Honda 40 200#, trailer 430#, misc. 120#) put me at 1,600#. Am I going to be OK? (In the future we'll probably upgrade to a Toyata Sienna rated at 3,500# capacity.)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Steve

PS We're looking at a "Yacht Club" trailer. Any experience with these?

PPS And finally, after seeing the "overnighting on a 16' Angler" thread from the Anderson's I noted the idea of removing the bottom half of the divider between the cuddy and cabin and putting a false floor in. Our legs could go into this 12" high space underneath the new false floor and bodies extend into the cabin opened up with removable chairs. I looked at an Angler at the factory a few weeks ago with Rich Reynolds and Sean and they felt this concept would work, including that I could cut the approx. 4" high bulkhead for attaching the divider so the floor would be smooth without compromising the boat's strength.

Would anyone care to comment on the practicality of the above project? We would be overnighting seldom so I would like to retain the larger cockpit area, therefore my reason for not going with a Cruiser.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely you will be OK. I've been pullng our 16 footer witha four cylinder Volvo and have no trouble at all. Pat Anderson uses a Subaru Forester, also a 4 cylinder, I think. Surge brakes on the trailer (which I don't have) are a recommended safety feature. Enjoy the 16 footer, the best C-Dory ever made.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
wannabeowner2

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that positive reply.

On another related subject I am looking at a Tohatsu 6 HP kicker. Is evryone still happy with the Tohatsu brand? Also short shaft versus long shaft for the 16'? I'd prefer the short shaft to also use on a 16' inflatable cataraft we have. But I'm also still thinking down the road for the eventual 22'. Decisions, decisions ...

Steve
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tohatsu makes all the Nissan outboards. Except for the decal they are the same. Here's the link to Nissan O/Bs
http://www.nissanmarine.com/
For me, the best endorsement for them is that EQ Marine sells them.

This link tells you how to measure for proper shaft length
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/article_outboard_shaft_length.html
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: your search could end Reply with quote

Why dont you buy the boat that you want for a few grand more, your into the c-22 Plus if you dont own a second home you can write off the c-22 interest (check it out with your accountant )The c-22 cruiser a lot nicer ride and you will be able to stand up in the boat. The 75-90hp eng does not eat that much more fuel then a c16 cruiser with a 50hp plus you get to go to a lot more places by water which is half the fun just a thought Anyway happy hunting for the perfect boat Jim on Duck
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: