The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

big water and the R-25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: big water and the R-25 Reply with quote

what are the limits of the Ranger 25 in the big waves or ruff water ? Shocked
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally an awsome post! lets hear some answers , dont you guys go out in the rough to play once in a while , or at least get caught out when its bad? what? huh? could you speak up a little? im waiting for the same ans. - unfourtanetly don't hold your breath. Sad john
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for a while also. Maybe the silence speaks louder than words. Shocked

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know , i know, please please please , tell us about some water comming over the bow rocking side to side , bobbin like a cork , bashing through the white caps . I know your out there , if your reading this your not boating & should stsrt pushing some buttons & posting, they should put this site in the c-dory & tug manuals. Oh yea don't forget the 21 tug too . am i gonna have to start posting a reward for good stories when i get my 21 i'm gonna make sure my first pics are the tug in the nastiest stuff i can find , cant believe were the only ones who are craving this kind of info. come on guys i said please Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes ...........john
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ok, here it is:
The Ranger takes a lot of splash over the bow. Need to keep wipers going all the time. Does not pound as bad as the C-Dory. Cuts into the waves abit better. Following seas has a tendency to broach. 6 ft and above.
Not enough speed to ride the wave and keep water passing by the rudder.
Have not taken any water over the side. Sad Will know a lot more in the next 30 days. Been in rough water only twice for a short lenght of time. One was breaking seas on the outer reef. The other was confused seas of about 3 to 4 ft. Easier ride and handled better than C-Dory. Laughing I do not believe it is an off shore boat. Cry
Plus side : It is a blast coming into the dock. Most fun is maneuvering into tight spots. Anyone can park a Ranger. (Trusters) Laughing

Leaving for the staging area ( Palm Beach ) Wed or Thurs. For run for the Bahamas. We will wait for a really good weather window. Laughing
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our roughest trip has been 3ft beam seas. We did some rolling back and forth and the steering was a little difficult. But the tug got us through no problem. Heading into 3ft waves is easy. The water does tend to come over the bow, but the tug just slices through the water. No bashing or banging.

Nancy

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks captd & trinity, we needed that how bout the rest of you . don't make me beg ! & DON'T FORGET THE 21 WHEN ITS CHOPPY DOES IT NEED THE WIPERS ON CONSTANTLY TOO ? ......... JOHN
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: R21-EC Reply with quote

I know the question regarded the R25, but I've been very pleased with the way my 21 handles on rough waters. Lake Texoma is an enormous lake and they routinely get four to six foot waves going. It is not comfortable taking rolls, so we've learned to quarter her into the chop and she does take water over the bow, but seems to absolutely love it!
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ! alright Texas Steve , a feast for the eyes .

Where are the rest of you ? Could you guys .... AHH NEVERMIND !
Shaun

City/Region: Dana Point
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: RUB "N" TUG
Photos: RUB "N" TUG
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: R 21_EC Reply with quote

I have nothing But the utmost confidence in my little boat. I have had the RUB "N" TUG since Sept. of 06 and have logged almost 300 hours on her. ALL OFFSHORE! Multiple night crossings to catalina and very ambitious trip to ventura (over 100 miles). She doesn't like the following sea so constant throttle work must be done. I have seen her limits which at night was off point dume in 8' to 12' blowing 40kts. I put myself in a bad situation and she got me out!
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone...
Beent working to much and not boating enough! December 08, I had R'Dragon coming down from Port Townsend to Elliott Bay, 2-3 foot seas...Not bad, a little roll on the beam as Trinity said. Like CaptD, I found if I could put the rollers on the bow we cut right through and had a great time! Laughing Now coming into elliott bay we had an outgoing tide and a northwest wind. I can say that weather was calling for wind waves 3-5 and wind speeds 10-20kts. That's what WEATHER said, I swear! but from the helm chair it looked like 10ft waves and felt like they were coming from all angles! Long story longer, we made it to dock at Bell Harbor and of course the sun came out, winds died down and the day was great.

Will the R-25 "take it?" Sure, Not so sure if I can though Shocked

Happy boating to all! Opening day is saturday! Sun may actually show up as well

captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahamas bound,
Wind blew 20 to 30 knots for a couple of weeks. We waited for a better forecast at Peanut Island. Spent a few nights in the key hole. Other nights they (police) came by at sun down and kicked us out. Nice floating docks , day use only. Snook under the dock. Really good with eggs in the morning.

Weather radio said wind will be from the East shifting in the evening to the South. Went out and took a look in the morning, was about 3 to 5 ft'ers. We figured after testing for twenty miles it was not too bad taking the waves on the head. Only about 35 miles to go, we decided to go for it. Boat and passengers were doing really good. At that time with a guess of 4 to 6 ft seas. The drain plug fell out of the heat exchanger. Heat buzzer went off. Shut the engine down. Drifted about 5 miles with the stream.
( Not knowing what had happened) Even with no power the boat rode the waves very nicely. Took on no water at any time. Sea Tow came out and four hours (@ 5 miles an hour) and a $1200 later we were back at the ramp. Good insurance, great people.

In conclusion: Very seaworthy boat for 25 ft. The boat took the sea from every direction, drifting and being towed. Takes head seas without slamming. Yanmar is a terrific engine. The Factory and Marc at Wefing have taken care of every problem encountered and have gone far beyond the call. I highly recommend both. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

captd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: