The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kayaking in the San Juan Islands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

error

Last edited by drjohn71a on Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
As mentioned, tandem kayaks are heavy. Most ppl prefer the independence of their own kayak. Locally, though there are couples who enjoy the Hobe Mirage tandems in our local outings. They are also good if you want to take along some grandkids.

Hobe also makes a small kayak that a kindergarten kid can launch and pedal/paddle. There is a clip on their DvD, maybe site.

You can check out U Tube search for "Adventure Island Kayak" , the tri-hull, or just Hobe Kayak to see them in action.

I think you ought to check out the Hobie Kayaks with the Mirage pedal drive. It has rubber fins underneath that work like a Penguin's wings. It is much easier than paddling and they have a rudder and you can easily get a sail. They come in short, medium and sea kayak configurations.

I have the three-hulled, Adventure Island model which has a bigger sail setup than the single hulls. As mentioned, the Yakima "Hully Rollers" will help you line up the kayak for roof tie down. You only have to lift half of the kayak's weight at at time to get it on the roof and your boat's bow pulpit or aft railing makes a good half way pivot point.

I use my kayak for hours at a time with little tiring since it is easy to switch from the traditional paddle, to the Mirage pedal drive, to the sail. They have a wheel set which stows inside the kayak and can easily be plugged into the hull. Lots of storage and fish rod holders are built in.

John
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I know nothing about Kayaks, yet. Costco currently has an Orange single seat kayak for $379. Has any one used one of these? It seemed pretty sturdy and not too heavy.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're not into long kayak passages or Eskimo rolls, the Costco kayak is probably just fine. Entry level kayaks are typically poly sea kayaks, designed to favor stability over handling and ultimate seaworthiness. Even so, this type of kayak will amaze you with how fun and nimble/responsive it is, compared to a canoe or small rowboat. We limit our kayaking to calm water but we go all the time and our recreational kayaks work very well. I'll bet this is the type Costco is offering. Get the make and model then do some Google research and you'll know. If you take to serious kayaking you can always upgrade later, and they're easy to unload on Craig's list. Don't get a river or trick kayak unless these are your intended uses. Have fun! Mike.
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the winner is Very Happy ... http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_i14t.html .. ... ................ I looked up of the ones that everybody listed on this thread and the Hobiecat i14t is going to be the one riding on top of the R-25 . I liked the way that it can be rowed ,paddled or sailed. and just over 60 pounds it will load and un-load easy and it will deflate and store in a bag when we get the Ranger Tug up to 70 mph.
thanks for your help Thumbs Up Very Happy .....................pauley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: