The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C Ranger 21 EC Fuel system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun

City/Region: Dana Point
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: RUB "N" TUG
Photos: RUB "N" TUG
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: C Ranger 21 EC Fuel system. Reply with quote

I have discovered a problem with the fuel system in my boat. When the fuel gets down to about a third of a tank and the boat rolls enough, air is allowed into my fuel line and stalls the motor. On one trip, before I discovered the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter, i broke my return fuel rail line while trying to bleed the injectors, ending in a long tow home. I've contacted the manufacturer about this issue and have not heard anything back.

Question #1- Has anyone else experienced this?

Question #2- Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Have thought about a small vented intermediate tank but upon closer inspection this will not work with a top feed fuel tank.
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Fuel tank issues Reply with quote

I have not had that problem due to several things. I don't let it get
low because I pack 4 jugs of fuel with me and keep it topped off.
Four jugs fit in the back nicely. I got mine from GI Joes and are
yellow color. I have had problems on the road with fuel splashing
out of the vent and once in a while underway. I cheat, ahead of time,
and put some soap back on the rear ledge for when it does happen.
I changed out the fuel filter once and followed the book and had no
problems at all. I have forgotten exactly what I did. Perhaps some
one else has had problems and can relate. Good Luck

Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
Shaun

City/Region: Dana Point
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: RUB "N" TUG
Photos: RUB "N" TUG
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to think that I have more options than carting around 20 extra gallons of fuel. With this small of a boat I need all the storage I can get. I think this is a case of a design flaw. Hopefully some has some creative insight on a feasible solution.
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun:

I am not familiar with the fuel tank on the R-21, so this post may be totally irrevelant. In addition, you may have already thought of and taken the steps I am recommending. However, since there were no volunteers willing to discuss the issue, I thought I would throw in my two bits.

It seems that you are picking up air from inside the tank when the fuel starts sloshing around.

Like typical diesel tanks, I assume that your tank has a fuel pick-up line going in through the top of the tank. This line should reach almost to the bottom of the tank, with just a little gap so that it does not pick up the water and sludge that builds up in diesel tanks over time. It seems to me that the fuel pick-up line is too short or there is some other issue with it that is allowing air entry. Why this should be I have no idea. In addition, the problem may be magnified if the tank does not have internal baffles to prevent the fuel from sloshing around in rough seas.

If your tank does have the pick-up line going in through the top, it should be easy enough to unscrew it, inspect it, and and see how long it is compared to the height of the tank. You then need to contact Ranger tugs, find out who makes their tanks, and ask them what the length of the pick-up tube should be.

I assume that you have already carfully tightened all the connections in your fuel intake system, starting from the fuel pick-up tube all the way to the injectors.

May I suggest that you put a dab of brightly colored paint on all the bleeding screws in your fuel system? If you get air in the system at the wrong time, having the bleed screw(s) stand out prominently is a big help.

I would be interested in knowing how and when you solve the problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: