Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher-Robyn

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Christopher K.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Anchor Rode Container Reply with quote

Tapping once again into this valuable vault of experience, is there a preferred method used to stow 3/8" diameter/3-strand nylon line & 1/4" chain into a container (pail, crate, canvas bag, etc.) that reduces the chance of line fouling when deploying the anchor? Coil into a round container, figure-8 into a rectangular container or ??? Thanks!
Paul K
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Flat anchor rode Reply with quote

Bob,

I hadn't thought about the feel of it by hand when pulling it in. I bet you're right; it wouldn't be as good as round rope, in terms of comfort and traction for pulling hard. I figured it would be a matter of sewing and using fasteners instead of knots. I guess I'll pass on this idea for now and try the milk crate idea for stowing the stern anchor line.

On the other hand, I recently got a Sailrite Ultrafeed sewing machine and I'm really into sewing things at the moment. I've done a bunch of canvas for my sailboat and I've tried some webbing stitching. The webbing's real easy.

The sewing machine's awesome, by the way, if anyone's interested. I think it will sew ANYTHING. Well, it seems like it, anyway.

Jeff
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Paul's storage question Reply with quote

Paul,

You want to loosely pile the rode in a heap in the reverse order from the way it will pay out. (Bottom of pile is tied to boat.) If you coil it, part of the coil always finds a way to get under some other part while it's paying out and you get a tangle.

If you use a bucket or bag, there should be a small hole near the bottom so you can have the end of the line fed through and tied to the boat while paying out the rode. Actually, there should be lots of holes for good drainage and ventillation so the rode will dry while stored.

On sailboats, we're forever piling up lines (main sheet, jib sheets, spinnaker lines, etc.) and then letting them pay out, then piling them up again and over and over. If someone tries coiling them it almost always results in a tangle when they pay out.

Jeff
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor Rode Container Reply with quote

Christopher-Robyn wrote:
Tapping once again into this valuable vault of experience, is there a preferred method used to stow 3/8" diameter/3-strand nylon line & 1/4" chain into a container (pail, crate, canvas bag, etc.) that reduces the chance of line fouling when deploying the anchor? Coil into a round container, figure-8 into a rectangular container or ??? Thanks!
Paul K

Paul-

I think most folks just coil the rode into the box by hand, but here's a few off the top of my head ideas for you:

1. Get one of those orange soft plastic traffic cones and put it into the box and coil the rope and chain loosely around it. Cut it down to the top of the box so it will look better and feed out easier. The cone should help keep the coils from overlapping and tangling each other up (SNAFU!!!).

2. Try coiling the rode alternating ways to deal with the helix/twist build up problem:

A rectangular box could give you an opportunity to do a figure "8" pattern, which would reverse the twist and neutralize it. Or use a figure 8 to reverse the twist/coiling every so many turns, like every 10 or so.

In a square box, the coiling might be reversed every 10 coils or so to do the same, crossing diagonally through the middle to reverse the coiling.

Using a glove to avoid burning your hands, provide a manual feed out "fairlead" above the box to pull the rope out of the box vertically to help it out of the box without snarling.

Mount the box on the deck in a "tiltable" frame so that it can be tilted forward to let line spin off to the bow roller like a spinning reel.

Go to West Marine or an electrical supply outfit and get a reel for rope or wire that can be waterproofed and make a reel with a frame and crank to wind the rode up on. Fabricate your own manual windlass.

No guarantees here, just ideas to test out! As we say YMMV!*

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

*= Your Mileage May Vary, hope something works for you!

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Christopher-Robyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff:
As you suggest, I'm going to try letting the line fall into the container however it chooses and then lay the chain section on top of the pile. I saw a mesh anchor & rode bag at West Marine that I might try. Thanks!

Joe:
I also like the idea of using the pylon. I'll try putting in the hiddle of the mesh bag & coil the line around it. Thanks!

Paul K
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paul's storage question Reply with quote

jlastofka wrote:
Paul,
You want to loosely pile the rode in a heap in the reverse order from the way it will pay out. (Bottom of pile is tied to boat.) If you coil it, part of the coil always finds a way to get under some other part while it's paying out and you get a tangle. Jeff

Paul, I totally agree with the advice Jeff has given you. All of the rope in our rope rescue bags are stored in this manner and I've never experienced a tangled line when I've (also known as a "dope on a rope" Disgust ) been dangling from the end of it. (The rode for my back up anchor is carried in a 5 gallon bucket with a circular hole in the lid so I can reach in and grab the bitter chain end to attach to the anchor. Like Jeff stated, just be certain to secure the other (presumably the rope) bitter end to something so you don't lose it all into Davy Jones Locker, where it likely will be stored forever, never to be worried about tangles again. Wink

C-Brat #16
Christopher-Robyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave:
I really appreciate the advice! I guess the reason I'm concerned about having a running line foul when coming out of a container is because of my Navy/MSC Underway Replenishment (UNREP) ship background. We carefully "fake down" our messenger and phone/distance lines on deck so that when the receiving ship hauls in on them, they run out without fouling. They are neatly layed out in long parallel, snugged-up rows with each end turned and placed on top of the preceding one. Works pretty good on a ship, but I think an anchor rode would probably be blown or washed over the side if layed out in this manner on a C-Dory.
Paul K
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Hopefully with all the good advice given by others on this thread, you can give all of them a try and see what works best for you. (Aren't you glad that you have these problems to tend to?....even though the Navy Replenishment Ship had lots of room for contending with these problems, their fuel usage per nautical mile is nothing like what you are getting now!)

(The only lines I had to worry about coming out tangle free in my military background were the lines connected to my parachute. If the problem were to exist, I only would have had a few moments to be concerned about it. Crook )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: