The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Generator on the swim step

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Honda Generator on the swim step Reply with quote

I was asked to post some photos of the Honda EU 2000i with the 6 gallon remote fuel tank, on the swim step of the Tom Cat 255 by some members of the Power Cat list.

The last photo shows the 3/4" thick board, with the 1/4" deep circules cut for the feet of the Generator. The reverse side of this board has four "cleats" which are 3/4" thick and 2" x 2"--the entire boat is epoxy coated.

Both the tank and generator are held in place with bungee cords when running. The tank is secured to the railings , the generator crate is jamed between the cables of the engine and the transom. The exhaust is always directed outboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some photos in Tom-a-Hawk's album of an aluminum generator box for a Honda i2000 on my TomCat's swim step. It also holds four small gas cans which I set out in front of the engines while using the genset. I have the 6 gallon tank, but it takes up a lot of room.

The genset will run my A/C unit for about 4 hours on it's internal tank. I rarely need to run it longer than that, but can easily refill the genset's internal tank from the extra small gas cans. The small cans are easier to handle at sea for me.

John
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was asked to post some photos of the Honda EU 2000i with the 6 gallon remote fuel tank, on the swim step of the Tom Cat 255 by some members of the Power Cat list.

Bob,
I have heard that the reason portable generators are not rated for marine use because you can't properly ground them. I read something about grounding generators properly a while back in Passage Maker. I didn't really understand it but the gist was if they are not properly grounded it is possible to have the current "electrify" the water around the boat in rare situations and pose a hazard to swimmers and such. Any concerns or steps you take when using the generator?
Ron
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "grounding" problem on the Honda Generator is no different than the "grounding" problem with an inverter. In fact that is just what the Honda EU 2000i is--an alternator driving an inveter. Many boats which have "reverse polarity detectors" will light up when you use an inverter as the "input"--this can also happen with the Honda. We run inverters all of the time--and have never heard of a problem with them.

I am not sure what "approved for marine use" is. Is it type specific by UL or ABYC?--no for a number of reasons.

The way the C Dory is wired, I suspect that it is very difficult to produce a dangerous "electric field" around the boat. On the other hand, I don't swim and have the generator running. We ran our small generator in the past, on a large boat (500 watt)--and swam regularly--with no problems..But again, I would not have the Honda EU 2000i running on the engine bracket and be swimming next to it.

The story is that John Wayne lost several Boston Whalers from "Wild Goose" in Mexico from thieft in the night. One night he put the "hot" side from his gen set to the railings, and the neutral in the water next to the whaler. A body was found floating the next moring, and no more Whalers were stolen. It may be only legend, but makes a point. You could wire a boat so that the lifelines/engine bracket were "hot"--but that would be very foolish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: