View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: All chain rode for CD? Reply with quote

I seem to recall someone posting, in the last couple of weeks, that they had an all-chain rode for their anchor. It was not this thread about the R25.

Does anyone else remember this or am I just having a senior moment?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does come up every once in a while. Cutter Marine in Maryland used to rig at least some of their boats that way. I had an all chain rode when I bought the boat.

Mike
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren-

I have mentioned that I have an all-chain rode on my CD-22 many times.

Actually, it's 100 feet of 1/4" GS40 High Test chain followed by 150 feet of 1/2" three-strand Nylon rope, the rope being for more traditional anchoring situations where more scope is possible.

However, since I usually anchor in a steep-sided inland lake, I can't get the desired 5:1 or more scope ratios recommended for anchoring, so the solution that works is to use an lot of chain and an oversized anchor to hook up as quickly as possible and to minimize the rode length so as to keep the boat off the shore in narrow inlets.

To that end, the 100 foot of chain weighs 74 lbs, and the Fortress FX-16, while only weighing 10 lbs, is size-intended for 33-38 foot boats.

One real positive advantage of the all-chain rode is that the boat "searches" or wanders much less at anchor in the shifting winds as compared to how much it would with a long and light section of rope and a short chain. This is particularly advantageous in those narrow anchorages.

Another advantage is that the windlass gypsy and the chain have ZERO SLIPPAGE as compared with using rope. Essentially, you have a chain and a sprocket, not a friction tooth and rope arrangement.

The chain also brings less water aboard when it is retrieved as compared to a saturated rope.

I originally had some problems passing the larger diameter rope to chain splice with my Quick Aries 500 windlass, but solved the problem by inventing my own splicing technique.

Using 100 feet of chain up front enables me to anchor most all the time without getting down to the rope section.

It's been a great addition to my boat, and helped solve several problems at once, and additionally helps to hold the bow down in chop, necessitating less gas wasting bow down trim with the motor.

This system works for me where I boat, but, as they say, YMMV!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and Joe. I was thinking about having more chain to make it easier to snub. Not sure that it actually would, but that was the idea. Joe, thanks for explaining the rationale behind your choice.

Warren
McMike

City/Region: Hampton Roads
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's awesome! I've never noticed your sig before, well done.

Oh, as a "newbie aside," what is "YMMV"?

Sea Wolf wrote:
Warren-

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. "

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Lifetime Sailo
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMike wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's awesome! I've never noticed your sig before, well done.

Sea Wolf wrote:
Warren-

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

McMike-

Great question!

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary,

meaning what works for me may not work for others, or only in varying amounts.

This brings up a much more important point:

We should always identify or explain these kinds of acronyms and abbreviations as others don't always know what they mean. I even thought of that when I used it, but we use it so much around here, I thought most folks would know it. My bad! (error).

I've been thinking of posting some guidelines for making clear posts that allow others to find things through the Search engine, specific thread titles, word usage/definitions, general ways to explain things, and the use of photos, illustrations, and web links and will try to do so today when I get home from my Dr.'s appointments.

Thanks!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
McMike

City/Region: Hampton Roads
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: not about anchoring anymore... Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
McMike wrote:

Sea Wolf wrote:
Warren-

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

We should always identify or explain these kinds of acronyms and abbreviations as others don't always know what they mean. I even thought of that when I used it, but we use it so much around here, I thought most folks would know it. My bad! (error).

Part of being the "new guy" is learning the local lingo. The "local lingo" is part of "tribal knowledge," not necessarily documented but understood by all. Acquiring all that is part the newbie's responsibility, and knowing it is a BIG part of what defines an otherwise unbound selection of people as a "Group," with a common interest and a unique identity. Participating in The Group, learning the tribal knowledge, etc is all part of becoming an accepted part of the whole.

Please don't make special exceptions for me, I'm learning from all the wonderful people here enjoying every minute of it.

Having said all that, the Guide you describe would certainly be helpful!!! Laughing

P.S. thanks for that great explanation on the advantages of chain v. rope and the heavier anchor. I've never been a "lake sailor," and it certainly is interesting to see the difference in how such a common object is used!
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: chain rode Reply with quote

Joe,
Do you have trouble with your chain fitting in the box? I've heard that more chain, esp. lots of chain could not possibly fit, let alone with line.

Does anyone else have that much chain or more and does yours fit?

Thanks,
Anne
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: chain rode Reply with quote

BaseCampAnne wrote:
Joe,
Do you have trouble with your chain fitting in the box? I've heard that more chain, esp. lots of chain could not possibly fit, let alone with line.

Thanks,
Anne

Actually, the 100 ft of chain fits very nicely on top of the 150 feet of rope, pushing the rope and itself down compactly because of the chain's weight.

I'd guess the volume for rope vs chain might be just about equal if both were packed tightly, but the chain packs very compactly because of it's weight and loose links, whereas the rope lays in loops not tightly packed together, and therefore takes up more volume per unit of length than the chain!

However, while it might be possible to put 300 feet of chain in the locker, I don't think you'd want 300 x 0.74 lbs/ft or 222 lbs of chain up in the bow of the boat when working through chop, waves, and swells, and especially when going down big waves in the ocean. Generally speaking, it still is a very good idea to keep the boat light in the ends in most weather conditions.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: