The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water comming out of V-Birth Drain area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_2376

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Water comming out of V-Birth Drain area? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just noticed this when testing my 1987 Angler. After about 4 miles in chopy water I noticed about 1/3 cup of salt water which was "ozzing" out the marine silicone near the brass plug near the entrance to the V-Birth. I inspected the Hatch and Anchor well and saw no visible sign of water/moisture. I read through previous threads and suspect the Bow cover,(I forget the name but it runs along the bow and is screwed in) -- I recall the previous owner saying he removed and replaced the screws but he never said why.

Is it common to leak there? I am concerned that there may be damage to the balsa core? Concerned if I use the boat like this I may be damaging it?

Any advise appreciated!

BR,
Rick
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, not sure how far this hull section carries into the bow but I doubt there's any core up there for most of that area.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One easy thing to check is to see if the drain for the anchor locker is properly sealed. Take the outer cover off and look in with a flash. On mine, there was not adequate caulk, and in rough water the water drained into the bow area. A little added caulk fixed the problem.

If not that, it could be from the common problem of water coming in through the screw holes for the screws that hold on the bronze stem strip under the bow.

Or it could be both.

Dave
socal_2376

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

This C-Dory does not have an anchor or locker inside . I checked around the hatch and all the thru-bolt for the bow eye for the trailer but did not notice anything indicating a potential area for water to enter. Actually I think it may be coming in from the Bull Nose. It looks like someone previousley removed and applied silicone. I was thinking of removing and inspecting and possibly using some quality marine filler and re drilling. Also wondering if the factory bull nose screws penetrate the inside "inner deck" and therby allowing water in past the screw?

Thanks,
Rick
socal_2376

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the long Brass Cover that runs over the Bow. I removed about 7 or 8 stainless screws. At least 2 of the holes the screws came out of had water dripping out of them. My conclusion is that water was entering thru the screws and getting into the inside of the boat in the enclosed Bow Area. I am surprised that this can happen considering that the length of these screws was less than 1''. Perhaps they are not the original ones. I was thinking of using a good epoxy filler and fill then re-drill the screw holes or perhaps fill them and leave the Brass piece off since I do not plan on beaching the boat. Would there be an negative effects of going without the Brass Bow Cover? Anyone now how deep the original screw holes went and weather or not they penetrated all the way thru to the inside of the boat under the v-birth?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dry the holes, drill them out just slightly oversize, fill with epoxy and then pilot hole, put in new screws with 4200 under the brass strip. I probably would use silicone bronze screws if you can find the correct side and oval head type. There is some chance of the SS and Brass interacting. Before drilling I would sound each hole to determine it's depth--do not drill any deeper than that depth. Use a toothpick to put in the epoxy (Marine Tex will work fine here--after this is dry) No core in this area.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: