The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pre -purchase questions for 21-EC ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a boat which is very similar in look and but a bit longer (28 feet) than the Ranger 21 tug. It is Down East/ semi dory, but with different characteristics than the C Dory line. They come with 65 hp (8 knots), up to 200 Hp (24 knots) Diesel inboards. One crossed the Atlantic under its own power--but this one used an outboard. I have seen one where the wheel house was extended and enclosed. The boat I was on, had a nice galley below. I have spent time underway on these boats. They are a bit wet, but very effecient and smooth running. It would take less work to make one look like a Ranger 21, than repowering.

Here is one of the two that are for sale on YachtWold.com:

http://tinyurl.com/3yg6v6

This thread has well over 300 entries on the Grover 28's, including some information and a photo of the Atlantic crossing.

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&topic_ID=12009

My understanding of the early Ranger Tugs is that they all had small engines--some as low as 8 hp. The larger engine is a recent developement.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Another R21 EC Owner wakes up! Reply with quote

Sorry about the frustration regarding lack of response, but I have to admit I don't have a clue about how fast my boat will go. There is no speedometer and the GPS registers the same speed regardless of RPM's. I have to agree that the real sweet spot for my boat is that same 2400 RPM as mentioned earlier. I bought my boat for looks and economy and it delivers beautifully on both counts. I wish I could answer your question definitively, but don't have an accurate way to respond.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It c bit c,

I think I have been in the same spot as you in the past, and even now to a degree: I love the look of those little tugs, the inboard diesel, the rounded stern...

However... you can tell by just looking at the hull that is mainly a displacement hull with very little planing shape to the hull. Everyone I have spoken to who test drove one of th 21 tugs related that they loved the ride, esp. in moderately rough chop, but that the slowness eats away at you unless you are locked into it. With the outrageous fuel prices nowadays, I could see some ppl loving that little boat, but I needed one that could get me out off the lake fast if severe MidWestern thunder storms/ tornados, etc. were threatening.

I bought a TomCat 255 and most frequently use it going very slow on autopilot. That is very relaxing and I can draw, photograph, daydream, etc., at that speed. I changed my initial order for the TomCat to a 25 Tug, then changed back, but I have never regretted getting the larger boat, capable of higher speeds when necessary.

I still think about getting a 21 EC for a second boat when I see a good used price on one! I still feel the 'tug' of that tug design!

Good luck,
John
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
I still think about getting a 21 EC for a second boat when I see a good used price on one! I still feel the 'tug' of that tug design!

For us, I am thinking of one for the Golden Years, when we are no longer trailering or voyaging hither and yon. Perfect for puttering around the islands.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a contributing member of this community , Ill tell you that you wont be able to "extended cruise" at 10 MPH with your stuff and people on board .The warmer the water and air , the slower it goes . It may not be the right boat for you . I clocked one by GPS [SOG,nil current] with air conditioning [more weight] 3 adults and a child with full fuel last weekend in Panama City FL at 7.9 KTS wide open . Six Knots is a good cruise speed for this boat .
Marc

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the smack in the head I needed that WILD BLUE. If you brats can put up with me ( bieng probably the biggest pain in the ass on the site ) the least I can do is thank you all for the info , appreciate the help and you didn't waste your time.

I;m keeping an eye on the weather, soon as it gets windy I MEAN GOOD AND WINDY ,I'm heading to the dealer near me (120 mi. away ) they said no problem . bringing two handhelds to check the MPH., and if I like it i'm gonna drop my dep. Keep ya posted.

Can't wait to get on the water next weekend , something about a nice relaxing slow criuse at around 80 MPH. , to get rid of the winter blues and calm the soul. Thumbs Up
John
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Missing the point Reply with quote

I just don't understand all this concern about mph. I know that people buy boats for different reasons, but if you're looking at one that goes 7 or 11, your intentions cannot possibly be to run 50 miles offshore to do some halibut fishing. If that's what you're looking for, any of our C-Brats will tell you the C-Dory is up to the task. Then buy a C-Dory, or some other speed-capable boat.

We bought a Ranger Tug because our enjoyment at this stage of our lives is to easily trailer a pocket cruiser to "friendly" waters and enjoy the scenery and TIME on the water. If we spend four hours slow-cruising on the water, we've traveled about 28 miles. I don't know about the rest of you, but we usually cruise for 30 minutes to an hour, then stop to enjoy the quiet solitude, read a book, have lunch, drinks, etc. If we log four hours underway in a day, we've had a GREAT time and are totally relaxed when we return home.

If it's on a longer "stay-on-the-boat" trip, it seems like that four hours underway still is a good average for us. We only consume about two gallons of diesel in any typical day on the water for a total cost of about 8 bucks. We'll match our fpm with anyone! (fun per mile)

Did the boats who flew past us have a better time? Perhaps they think they did. Everyone justifies their choices. But that's not what we bought our boat for. We find that we're traveling at about the same speed as the big Krogen-like cruisers. Think about it......we're doing the exact same thing on our pocket cruiser as they're doing on their half-million dollar or more yachts at a fraction of the cost. It's the Thurston Howell owners of these palaces on water that are always coming over to admire OUR boat.

If you're in an area where weather is going to descend upon you so fast and furious that you must have speed to outrun the storm, you must boat differently than we do. We don't go out when weather is bad, we pay careful attention to the weather forecast and we're always just a few miles from some safe cove or other "survivable" locale. Truth be told, how often are you REALLY scrambling to escape the perfect storm?

In summary, whether our boat goes 7 or 11 miles an hour doesn't make a hill of beans to us. Just remember......
The faster you go, the sooner your journey ends.

terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: ranger 21 Reply with quote

Maryilyn and Denny,

Well said!!

There is an old Eastern Shore of Md, expression: "No matter where you go, there you are."
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugger ,

I hear ya loud and clear ! But like I was tryn to say was, it would be nice to cruise a pinch faster so i wouldn't have to trailer around my local stomping grounds , the difference between 6-7 or 10 mph would make a huge difference . if i wanted to take a slow cruise around manhattan it's about 70+ miles round trip.

It is a difference of 11-12 hours vs 7-8 hours and lets not forget about running against the tide THATS ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY it would be nice and i still say it's doable .

It is what it is ..... and i still luv it, and i'll live with the speed , now just hope she can hadle the regular 2-3 foot chop and bow into the huge wakes ok Shocked Laughing

THANK - YOU BRATS! your the best! take most of my posts with a grain of salt please i know they come out a little offensive and i don't mean anything by it, tuff for me to type one finger and one button at a time , i'm better at running my gums if you know what i mean + my spellings usually as good as a 2nd grader yea i'm a mess Laughing sorry if i wreck the site a bit i dont want to, cause this one is top notch all the way , but then again you all know that Thumbs Up Laughing happy & safe boating SPIOLED BRATS!! Laughing oop's almost forgot WHERE'S THE PICTURES - TUGGER. i look forward to them, don't forget you have fans now Shocked Tugger has reached celeb status! Laughing
john
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from past experience in sailing and powering sailcraft against tides, I'd advise against a 6-8 mph craft where you could encounter tides of similar or slightly less speed.

I spent hours trying to pass back into St Andrews Bay in Panama City once while bucking an 8 mph outbound current!

Buy a faster boat and go slow most of the time, then speed up when you must...

John
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-A -Hawk ,

At last someone gets it, thank for the info. My only dilema with the 21 tug is exactly that.
Thats why i'm saying just a few miles an hour would make a huge difference. I am by no means trying to make it something it's not , like a hot rod or something,
and the current around here is about 2 to 5 knots on average depending ?.....,
The little tug looked like it was built like a tank when I saw one, i think it would be great for the river if it could hit 12 to 13 mph. on top when needed that would be fine , i could live with a 6 to 8 mph cruise.

someone out there must have an idea how to pick up say 2-3-or 4 mph. with the power the boat comes with ? without getting too far fetched. That one i can foul -up on my own .

thank you john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: