The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailering the R21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steamboat_Willie

City/Region: northern
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Steamboat Willie
Photos: Steamboat Willie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Trailering the R21 Reply with quote

I have some R21 trailering questions:

1. Could someone comment from experience on trailering the R21 WITH the aft cockpit canopy canvas installed and unfurled ON the frame? We're planning on trailering our new R21 home in a week or so from our dealer here in NJ and will have an 85 mile return trip home most of which will be on the wonderful NJ Turnpike.

With no trailering experience with this boat I'm probably inclined to think that I should just roll the canvas up (forward), secure it to the frame and just be done with it each time the boat gets trailered. However not knowing what the wind dynamics will be on the open highway I was wondering how much physical abuse the canvas cover would endure under those circumstances if it remained installed while traveling on the open road? Do most owners keep it rolled up while trailering? Or has practical experience demontrated that leaving it installed and "open" does not harm the canvas? I always aire on the side of caution but I do like to ask others of their recommendations before jumping in feet first. Obviously trailering on the highway will subject the canvas to wind speeds higher than it will most likely ever encounter out on the water. And actually, now that I think about it, IF I'm ever out on the water in our R21 with 55 MPH winds I will most certainly schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist once I return to port!

2. When trailering the 21 is a single tie-down strap up and over and across the cockpit of the boat sufficient enough to provide a safe trailering condition for the boat? I noticed on each side of the transom that there is a U-bolt of some sort anchored into the hull. What are they used for? Is that intended for some sort of extra tie-down on the trailer?

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Ed
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stow the canvas i've seen one loose snap do alot of damage flapping in the breeze , don't risk it . #2 make sure safty chain is on front of bow eye , can;t go wrong with 2 straps on transom transom rings . thats my 2 cents ......... john
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: trailering the 21 Reply with quote

Ed, I have trailered my R21 many times with one trip over 600 miles each way.
(1) on the canvas I would not take the chance. There is a lot of wind to whip one point free and it is over then. Mine had a mast and boom that had to come down but I just rolled the sunbrella canopy up once and it was not good. To avoid the up and down on the canopy I had a hard top built as shown in my album. trailering is fine now without the extra work to get ready to trailer or boat.
(2) the u-bolts on the stern are used to loop a long strap through and down to the trailer on each side. As my tug was shipped to me from the factory it was secured to the trailer that way and the trailer was on an 18 wheeler. With the chain secured on the bow bolt and this strap on the stern the boat has never moved on the trailer.
Good luck getting the tug home and enjoy your boating.

Ron

Steamboat_Willie

City/Region: northern
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Steamboat Willie
Photos: Steamboat Willie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Very helpful. Thanks.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to congratulate you on your new tug, BEST OF LUCK WITH IT ! and happy cruising. please don't forget to post pictures of it we' d luv to see em.... BTW is your boats name gonna start with a -S- & end with a -E- my e- mail is not working , if it is thank- you for the pm you sent me , too bad i'm having a problem with my e-mail or i would send you one ( if it's not you disregard the last message.).............john
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Trailering the 21 Reply with quote

We picked up Tugger from the factory in Kent last August and trailered it over 1,500 miles back down to Phoenix. We took the spars and canvas down and stowed them while under way. On shorter trips however, we just use the canvas cover and leave it up. Seems to do just fine.

Regarding tie-downs, Andrew provided us with two tie-down straps for the stern, but we noticed that on some of those nasty freeway bumps, the rear of the boat shifted a bit on the trailer from side-to-side.

On our way back North this summer to the factory to have some warranty work performed, we will also use a strap over the top of the aft end of the boat, with the strap centering about 2' forward of the transom. I think that will solve the back end bouncies.

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh what kind of warranty work ? tugger. did you get your wheel off ok?howd your a/c work on your last trip? sorry for the questions but i would really like to know, getting closer to ordering mine pretty soon now thank you .........john
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Trailering the R21 Reply with quote

I always took my canvas down with the exception of launching in my local
lake just a few slow miles away but any thing more than that it came off.
I did this from day one. I leave the frames in place but they are tied
together with bungies and had no problems that way.
However one thing I learned the hard way and thats to protect the
windshields. If I had a newer boat I think they come with a cover over
the windshield but my older boat did not so the factory had a cover made
for me. On a long trip I would put something behind the cover like heavy
cardboard or plywood. The window that broke on me ruined my day I can
tell you. The wait for one to be made because I have that special tint
that only a couple of boats have was not fun either. I put a piece of
plastic in the hole while I waited. The little bits of glass show up from time
to time and sometimes not in the best of places but when it broke or I
think when it broke, I was at freeway speeds for several hours so glass
was every where. I also to get the boat centered on the trailer made some
foam pieces that tie on the guide boards when pulling the boat out of the
water and then I take them off and the boats in the middle and not
rubbing on the guide boards. They have to be tied or they float away.
EQ marine had my canvas made and its done right and easy to put on
and off and think they had the work done in Canada but not sure on that.
No other trailer problems except for people running into the trailer while
its parked. I learned fast on that too, park away from the action and
walk a bit more.
Easy tow eh!

Bob Heselberg near Eatonville Wa
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering the R21 Reply with quote

K7MXE wrote:
However one thing I learned the hard way and thats to protect the windshields. If I had a newer boat I think they come with a cover over the windshield but my older boat did not so the factory had a cover made for me. On a long trip I would put something behind the cover like heavy cardboard or plywood.

Bob, I never understood why the factory supplied those covers because they said not to use them on the freeway -- they scratch the glass. And on the hook they are a pain to put on (I had new ones made that snap onto the inside of the 3 windshields.)

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
denny48

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Warranty issue Reply with quote

uh oh what kind of warranty work ? tugger. did you get your wheel off ok?howd your a/c work on your last trip? sorry for the questions but i would really like to know, getting closer to ordering mine pretty soon now thank you .........john

John,
Regarding your question about the warranty work, just a few little items. We have a few gel coat cracks and the bow thruster makes a bit too much noise. Andrew said they can swap it out in a few minutes if needs it. There's a couple of other things, but no biggies. Really, it's a good excuse to get up to the NW during our hot summer to enjoy some of the Puget Sound.

I haven't tackled the wheel yet. Planning on that effort this weekend. Can't wait to see that little wheel on the boat. The a/c works fine. All these creature comforts in a little pocket cruiser sure can spoil a person!
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUGGER , thanks for the reply sorry if i'm bieng a pain inthe butt tabout the questions. TUGGER's my favorite thats all . and i wont ask again about more pictures . whoops i think i just did. Laughing
denny48

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Tugger pics Reply with quote

Ok John, I'll click some pics tomorrow as I'm puttering with the "get the wheel off" project. The before & after look of the teak since applying the Bristol finish are pretty amazing (to us) and we'll try to get a shot of the little wheel, hopefully mounted.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL RIGHT !!! And I promise i'll stare at them for hours on end dreaming, while Bernadette tells me to stop looking at the mini tug and get to my honey do list. oh yea don't forget Teaco in a shot...........john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: