The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2009 Sea of Cortez CBGT????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: 2009 Sea of Cortez CBGT???? Reply with quote

Safety in numbers, Warren is experienced with the RV caravan - I am thinking this could be our big 2009 vacation, this is something Patty really wants to do. So who's up for it, and what's involved?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning to go to Texas this coming winter. Maybe Baja the winter of 2010, but...

I was planning to post some further thoughts in my thread about the L-Dory as well as do some research, but bottom line is right now with the current police corruption problem (700 out of 1000 failed lie detector test asking if they were involved with drug traffickers) and the kidnappings I want to see if the Mexican federal government can get control of the situation. Neither Brent or Jim feels safe in going to Mexico right now and I respect their analysis. The RV caravan was a different deal. Extremely well organized, lots of local contacts, etc.

If there is a Baja-experienced Brat willing to lead a 2-month expedition down there (it would need to be about that long to make it worthwhile for us) then that is a different story. We need someone with local knowledge of the waters because the charts and guides are nothing like what's available for US or Canadian waters. Plus there are the language and cultural issues.

Right now I am thinking the best way to avoid the border city problems is to cross at Nogales as described in this thread.

Much as I would like to suggest that you take your boat down there, I wonder if you would have enough vacation time to do justice to the trip. We were gone for almost 6 weeks, when you factor in the driving from WA to San Diego and back. You might be better off flying to Loreto (my recommendation for where to go) and staying in a hotel like The Inn at Loreto Bay.

Just some thoughts. Hopefully some Brats with more Baja experience will jump in with more.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly consider hooking up with Vagabundos del mar. This group started in the 60's with a group of trailer boaters. they have group caravans, and caravans of trailer boaters to Mexico and Baja. http://www.vagabundos.com/index.html

If we were able to go, we would be right there! The C Dory is an ideal boat to cruise the Gulf of Calif-and on down.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I am absolutely going to investigate Vagabundos but by going through Nogales there is a much shorter drive to water, plus (hopefully) a less dangerous border city.

Still have much to learn, but at least I have a better idea of what it is like down there. Brent and Dixie have some amazing stories of going to Baja in the 70s. Going to Cabo from Utah and back in one week. Fishing for marlin off Cabo from a 12' Sears Gamefisher.

Warren
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to Baja by boat at over a dozen times with zero problems. We have also been to the East Coast of Mexico 3 times by boat--again with no problems. I have driven mostly across the TJ crossing and had no problems--and my Son still goes across there--with no problems. But I sure am listening about "problems". There are some crossings which are easier than others--and I would agree it would pay to take the easiest.

On the other hand, I would also want to take the shortest road in Mexico to the launch ramp and avoid driving at night. Of course that depends on which part of the Sea of Cortez you wan to explore. It can be cool in the upper part during the winter. (relitativel) Lets face it--the tourist industry is very important to the Mexican economy--about 8% of GDP. I am not sure I would equate drug wars and corrupt cops with boating problems.
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., you have our attention. We are very interested in a trip like this. It would depend on the time of year, safe passage (as Bob suggests ), and having a safe place to park the tow vehicle for...how long?? Two or three weeks maybe??
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I drove down from Nogales to the water (6 hours or so) and stored my truck and trailer there securely (as the guy from Tucson described in the thread I referenced above) I would then motor quickly down to the midpoint of the Sea of Cortez and spend most of my time near Bahia Concepcion and Loreto.

If I drove through TJ it would be a couple of days of daytime driving before I arrived at the Sea. That is why I am interested in the Nogales option.

Warren
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Pat's question was for an RV trip or a boating trip.

We have been going to the Baja since 1972. The first few years we went in the summers and went to the Mulege area, then boated in the Bahia Conception, and the nearby islands. In later years we went further south, as the road was paved. We have visited the Baja about 30 times over the last 35 years. Mostly by truck and camper, and pulling a boat. Dixie's parents pulled a 35' 5th wheel to Cabo every winter for 10 years (1985 to 1995) We went almost every year at Christmas (drove down and back for a 15 day vacation) In the late 90's we again went in the summers, mostly to the Loreto, Puerto Escondito, Punta Chivato area. In 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 we spent the winter months (Dec., Jan., and Feb.) in Cabo San Lucas. 2002 with the 84 Classic, and 2003 with the TomCat 24'. The political climate and the crime problems got to be where we haven't gone for the last four years. Mostly because we were traveling alone, and also getting more conservative.

That said, I do believe in safety in numbers, and we would be up for a Baja trip in 2009. What time of the year are we talking about? How long of a trip? The Baja is 1050 miles long. There are numerous places to launch and cruise. Only time is the limiting factor. With the distances involved, longer is better.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post, deleted
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't clear - boating of course! We would have no more than three weeks, but I don't see why that couldn't be done. Patty tells me though that she is more interested in doing this after we retire, which is about 5 years down the road. Still, if this got put together, I bet her arm could be twisted, she says this is her dream boating vacation!

Discovery wrote:
I'm not sure if Pat's question was for an RV trip or a boating trip.

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: