View previous topic :: View next topic  
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Wallas Troubleshooting Help Reply with quote

I need help from experienced Wallas self repair types.

My Wallas 95D fuel pump quit pumping after I had been using the stove contiuously for approximately 6 days, Day and Night use.

I called Scan Marine and he said to check the glow plug (I did, it is working GREAT)

Then they said to tap the pump. (I knew that trick and had already tried it)

He said after that it wasn't user serviceable and send it in for most likely a $400 circuit board.

I checked the two black wires going to the pump for voltage during the start process and there is NO voltage at the pump. The pump is enclosed in rubber so I assume that checking across these wires would be correct.

Our Supply voltage to the stove is OUTSTANDING, batteries are fully charged and many attempted starts have been with 14 Volts available.

Visual inspection of BOTH circuit board shows no burned or obviously damaged components.

Anyone have an idea before I have to send this thing to Seattle and shell out the big bucks????

Thanks

www.AlaskaAdventureJournal.com
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you easily disconnect the pump and check the open circuit voltage from the circuit board? Perhaps the pump is shorted out internally. Are there any fuses you can check?
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Can you easily disconnect the pump and check the open circuit voltage from the circuit board? Perhaps the pump is shorted out internally. Are there any fuses you can check?

If the pump is truly shorted out, you are buying a board and a new pump. If it is an open circuit, then you have chance.
John S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called back and talked to Mike, the technician, at Scan Marine. I wanted to positively make sure it wasn't a fuel pump problem only. He told me I could disconnect the fuel pump from the stove and test it with a 12V battery. He had me jumper one one lead of it to a battery and then momentarily touch the other wire to other battery terminal. I heard the pump click. By momentarily touching the wire over and over to the battery I was able to make the pump push all the fuel out of it. So........looks like the pump is OK. With no other ideas I pulled the Wallas from the boat today to package it up and spend the BIG money! It's not sent yet, so any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

I had a malfunction of my Wallas about a year and a half ago. Some of the similar circumstances. Turned out it was a fuse. The fuse was located down in the guts of the stove..kind of front center, difficult to find, Pulled it out with needlenose , replaced, stove worked again.

terraplane
John S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: wallas Reply with quote

terraplane wrote:
I had a malfunction of my Wallas about a year and a half ago. Some of the similar circumstances. Turned out it was a fuse. The fuse was located down in the guts of the stove..kind of front center, difficult to find, Pulled it out with needlenose , replaced, stove worked again.

terraplane

I think the fuse you are referring to is the one on the circuit board. If it is, I've already checked it and it is good. Is that the same one you are referring to??

Thanks
John
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

John,
Probably, ....it is kind of in the middle of all the whatamajiggers...i guess that 's the circuit board.

tom
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our Wallas did not ignite when we turned the switch on Sunday morning at Andrews Bay. The battery voltage was low, but we had the engine running and the meter on the Navman was showing 14.6 volts. The light on the switch went on momentarily, then off, then a phenolic smell and the Wallas was deader than a doornail...I will look for the fuse (good luck to me, I am kind of like Terraplane, it all looks like "thingamabobs" in there - wouldn't know a fuel pump or a glow plug if I tripped over it, expect I can recognize a fuse though), but the odor leads me to think something got fried when it called for more voltage/amperage than the damn battery could deliver. It appears to me that there are only two kinds of Wallas owners - those who have had problems and those who are going to. I know Bob Austin disagrees, but I would NOT get another Wallas stove/heater combo. If this one is indeed fried, I am not the least bit inclined to pay Scan Marine the big bucks to have it repaired, we will replace it with something a bit simpler and more reliable.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

ppriest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone inquired of the Wallas distributor exactly what the common failure mode or modes is/are?
If the failures are totally random, then one might be as well off to replace the unit with a different stove/heater and hope for improved durability.
If the failures tend to fall into one or two categories, then we might all be in a better position to request an accomodation when the unit fails, OR to dope the problem out ourselves and share the fix.
Carrying some spare fuses, if that's all it usually takes, is only modestly painful, especially if access is not a major effort; although repeated failures of the same fuse usually indicates a flaw in the design or sizing of other components.

Good luck. By the way; what's tapping the pump supposed to accomplish?

Paul Priest
Sequim
John S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad day as I gave up on fixing the stove myself and sent it to Scan Marine in Seattle.

I used an EXCELLENT repair manual put together by someone on this website to check some of the basic normal problems. Look for the manual under the electrical forum, I believe. I had printed it previously and had it on the boat. MOST common failures are covered in this manual.

Scan Marines answer to any fuel pump problem on two different products I have worked on repairing so far is to tap as hard as you are comfortable on the pump to free it up and start it pumping again. The pump is actually a selonoid and I guess it frees the stuck selonoid.

Alternatives! What is the alternative to the Wallas 95D that doubles as both a cabin heater and two top stove. I would like to hear about any reliable options out there that would fit in approx. the same hole.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably not going to get a "two-fer" like the Wallas. Something like a Webasto heater and a butane stove, or maybe propane for both if you are comfortable with gas that causes fires and explosions when it leaks...But there are better, more reliable and less expensive options out there. The Wallas is just too complicated, if there was ever a contraption that violated the KISS principle, this is it.
John S wrote:

Alternatives! What is the alternative to the Wallas 95D that doubles as both a cabin heater and two top stove. I would like to hear about any reliable options out there that would fit in approx. the same hole.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Pat. When I upgrade boats it will have either webasto or espar, and I will cook with the butane. I have a single burner portable butane stove now on the 16 and it is remarkable. Don't know why I screwed around with the coleman propane stoves for so long. They are also about 5 times as good, and faster, than an origo. Origo is the poster child for KISS but you better have an hour for that hotdog, and a lot of rags for the condensation.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Kenyon butane single burner stove the factory is installing and it works great only down side is the butane canisters only last a couple days. The rare times I need a second burner I use a Magna kettle in the cockpit. I'd like to have heat but from all I've read tbe Wallas isn't very reliable. From reading all the posts it sounds as if they may be voltage sensative. If I had one I look into some sort of voltage stabilization device that would protect you from low voltage and spikes.
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do not have the answer. I do have a few questions for those who have had this problem.
1. does the fan kick on and things just never heat up, and then on inspection you found the pump was not pumping?

In my land trailer which has propane heat, if the battery is low then the fan kicks on (though it is running slow, I think) but no gas will flow. This is a safety device aimed at preventing the unit from stopping hot with no way to cool down or expel all of the gas.

2. Have you tried a total disconnect from power as a sort of cold boot of the electronics?

3. This one may help others. Do any of you have a house battery? Is the stove running off the starting battery?

Ever had a low battery in an older car and go to start the car with the lights on? The lights dim as you crank right? So if the above estimate of the cause is in the ball park, ie: that the stove system can be damaged by flux in power levels, then it follows that it would have a longer life if ran off a second battery or was ALWAYS shut off when cranking and if we watch battery levels very closely.

Save our Sound!
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in fact the stoves are effected by voltage variations something like this is what I had in mind http://www.powerstream.com/dc-buck-boost.htm If you are running the stove and cranking your engine you could have less than 11 volts going to it. On the other hand if your batteries are being charged by the outboard you could have 14 volts or more going to the stove. For all I know the stove may have some protection built in or it may not have any affect but it's something to think about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: