The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Generator.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if its illegal to run a dry exhaust generator underway or at anchor , ? just wondering thanks...... john
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Generator Reply with quote

Gee, I don't know of one, but if there is, a lot of us are going to jail Cry

Capn Jack Wink
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including me ! Icarry one on my boat . Last year one of the uscg aux. guys at my marina came over to complian about me making noise cause i was reving up my motor with my boat on the trailer just backed down the ramp i was load checking something, he saw my genny and and was kinda snotty about telling me it was illegal cause of dry exhaust, if he wasn"t so rude about it i would have asked him about the legalites of it .( I wasn"t exactly in the best of moods discovering a cracked gimbel so i told him to " tell someone who gives a s---!" he started it ) no one in my marina has ever complained about noise before & i always use switchable mufflers around marinas & anchoages , etc. so i was just currious about the dry exhaust thing & figured this would be the place to ask about it BTW i am an active menber of the uscg res.& didn"t tell that moron that. kinda hate to admit it being an x- marine just kidding about the admittin part so don"t bombard me with posts . i"ll find out myself ( yea i can open my book and see) but figured i"d get a quick response here i like chattin with the brats & no i don"t blast around in my pleasure boat wearing my uscg life vest rather stay quiet about that & keep an eye out on the water for the real bad guys , always one or two who give it a bad name , any saftey reckomenditions i"ve given to anyone were always professional & courtieous as possible............. john
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any member of the USCG Auxiliary is required to interact with the public in a professional and courtious manner. We do not enforce any law, rule, regulation, etc. We politely suggest. If it requires something stronger than a suggestion we radio the coasties. They will be polite also, and have the authority to take your boat if it comes to that.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all about it . thats why i said "always one or two ........." & no we aren"t taking boats for making to much noise- you should know better Laughing ...........john
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many boats, including commmercial fishing boats run dry exhausts. The person who told you that is full of......

Many large ships run dry exhausts--many yachts run dry exhaust. The vast majority of the Nordhavn's are dry exhausts.

Many of the fishing boats also run deck wash down pumps--dry exhaust.
Some boat builders have enclosures for the Honda EU series generators--and these boats are ABYC certified.

The answer is that there is no rule against running a dry exhaust on a vessel, either at anchor or underway. There are considerations of one's neighbors however. But some dry exhausts are quieter than wet exhausts..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i was lookin to hear (figured it would be you Bob ).I know tugs & ships run em , but i could not find anythig about it on gen. sets . The guy at the marina who told me that is sort of one them put on my uniform & i"m mr. coast guard guys even the other aux. guys told me he"s a knuckle head. 2 YRS ago his center console was smashed up pretty bad & the repair guys told me he ran into a unlit channel marker ( if that tells you anything ? Wink Rolling Eyes ) Thanks Bob your the best man......... john
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Dry Exhaust Reply with quote

I dug into the Coast Guard Site and all I could find was carbon monoxide warnings about running a generator that exhausted in the swim grid area. I think this guy was being a little over zellous in miss-quoting something he obviously miss-understood. Wink

Capn Jack
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say the least Laughing . I couldn"t find anything either just wanted to know , he got me thinking . Iasked a friend of mine sta. on a NYC FD boat after it happend awile back & he didn"t think tehre there was any regs. against it but wasn"t 100% sure . I personaly dont see anything wrong with it anyway as long as like Bob said your careful with the exhaust fumes not fillin up your boat or somebody next to you , plus making sure nothing nearby could catch fire . ( I am always a little paranoid of gas & fumes but thats just me ) aw well what the hell do i know anyway. thanks guys..........john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: