The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removing 3M 5200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Removing 3M 5200 Reply with quote

Have you ever tried to remove something that you glued together with 3M 5200 (or Boatlife Lifecaulk)? Once this stuff dries, it is tough to remove but there is a way! I cannot claim to have originated this idea, but it works and I thought I should pass it on.

Find an old flexible/thin bladed 1 inch wide putty knife and grab your trusty propane torch. Using this method on a new putty knife will ruin the temper so beware. Heat up the blade enough that it is almost hot enough to burn/scorch wood and it will cut/slide through the 5200 like butter! Be carefull, the cut sealant will reattach itself if it comes back in contact with what it was just cut away from.
DaydreamC-26

City/Region: S.E.PA
State or Province: PA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Removing 3M5200 Reply with quote

Chivita,
I haven't used this stuff but a couple sailboat restoration buds have tried a product called DeBond2000.

Not sure but I think it's an aerosol. They said the stuff worked. Try DeBond2000.com.
Good luck,
Gene K.
Boatless in PA - sailboats sold tooo

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had to remove a battery charger which I had affixed to the inside of the hull with 5200, foolishly thinking I would never have to remove it. I was able to wrap a length of stainless wire around and behind it and then twisted the tails around a set of pliers. It took some pulling, but eventually the wire worked like an old time cheese slicer and cut through the 5200. Interestingly enough, once I had the charger off, I removed the 5200 residue on the hull with my fingers, just like rubber cement.
Al
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick that might work, similar to Moose's wire idea - twisted fishing line.

Take a long length, and tie it into a loop. Grab hold of each end, and twist it into a simple braid. Stick a finger through each end, and saw it back and forth between two bonded objects. The braid will cut better than just straight fishing line.

Haven't tried it on 5200, but I've used it on many other bonded surfaces and it works well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: