The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Motorhome launching/retrieving
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Byte,

Nice photos in your album, #12 shows a motor home.

Do you launch and retrieve the CD with it?
If so, I'd like to discuss your experience doing so.

George

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George and Penny,

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I have a bunch more and need to update the album but have to figure out how to get them in since the site upgrade.

Yep, I do launch and retrieve with the motorhome 95% of the time. Works great and would be glad to answere any questions you might have. Either here on the thread, thru the private e-mail available on the Brat site or you can quiz me at "meklaich@gci.net"

Have a great day!

Mark

Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

On 16 September, we expect to take delivery of our C-Dory 22 Cruiser and a Load Rite tandem trailer with bunks. After a week or two, exploring from the dealer’s marina, I will tow the boat home and attempt a launch at our long and narrow community ramp. My tow vehicle will be a 26 foot Born Free motorhome. Never having launched nor retrieved a boat on a ramp, I’m trying to imagine the process.

I had a useful conversation with Mike, owner of Levity; but, couldn’t pass an opportunity to learn what I can from one who uses a motorhome. I expect that the small rear window of the motorhome, 20 feet behind me, will not be of much use. I think I will be able to see the boat and trailer when they are lined up directly behind me. If not, I’ll have to do something like rig poles at right angles to the trailer.

I understand the dynamics of backing a trailer. The skill to execute must be acquired. I may go to a nearby park with wider ramps and practice.

Any tips you give will be appreciated. If you had rather talk than type, give me your phone number and an agreeable time and I will phone you.

Thanks,
George
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, as we discussed on the phone, I think your idea of a front mounted hitch is the way to go, with or without that extension we both looked at. Having dual wheels at the back (I bet you do have those) and probably more weight at the back than the front, it would be easier to back up the ramp, even if you put the front wheels a little way in the water than it would be to drive up the ramp frontwards. I certainly think it'd be easier to launch the boat while you're staring at it!

Bet you're getting excited, look forward to hearing all about the maiden voyage. Take a look at the christening procedure, it's fun..

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I have a smaller motorhome at 22' but have launched and retreived by myself and with assistance.
The key is a good set of mirrors. If I have an assistant I use 2 way radios to let me know when I am in far enough and straight.
I have a roller trailer with guides so launching is pretty easy as long as I am straight on the ramp so I can back the boat off.
With bunks you will need to back in further. I do not release my safety chain until I am partially into the water... had a close call or two and learned my lesson. I don't want to be one of those guys taking up time at the ramp with my boat on the ground....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the experience of sliding my tow vehicle down a slippery ramp. Shocked Shocked It was a good thing that I had my C-Dory and tow vehicle all lined up. The boat went the water and the tow vehicle stopped at waters edge. A very chilling experience. Embarassed There is a web site for extended tongues which, together a front hitch, should help avoid a very embarrassing moment. Embarassed

Bill

P.S. Yes, I do have an extended tongue on my trailer along with full size wheels that drop down to support the tongue weight. This is primarily for beach and other areas without ramps. This arrangement also provides spare wheels, bearings and hubs - if ever needed.
C Spray

City/Region: Mukilteo
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the receiver on the front. It is much eaiser to manuver the trailer with it and as stated on a ramp that can get slick. If you have your drive wheels on it there will be no traction. If you keep the duals up on dry ground you don't have to worry about that. Also is the ramps get any sand on them they can get very slick also. The front receiver also makes it very easy to park it where you store the boat when you come back. Thumbs Up

Butch
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George-
I have a 28' Safari Trek that I have used a few times to launch with. You can view the last pic on page 5 of my album. This was taken at Lake Mohave in Feb '04.
The Trek does not have a rear window, but I do have a rear view camera. As long as you have room to turn around, you can launch.
I use the mirrors to back up with and then watch the camera screen to see how far in the water I go. I usually get it straight to the water, then get in the boat and let PJ back it in far enough for me to drive off the trailer. We use hand held CBs to communicate with.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy

Last edited by C-Hawk on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Charlie,

I thought I’d try without the tongue extension and see how it goes. I looked under the front of the RV to see what frame was available to attach the hitch. It didn’t look promising to my untrained eye but will take it to a welder/hitch shop for a quote.

Arrow Mr. Fisherman,

I think I have a good set of mirrors. And we do have personal radios. I’ve been told that when launching and retrieving my forward bunk rails should be no more than ½ submerged or the bow will hit a cross member on the front of the trailer. It has been suggested that I back off using the motor and that after securing a tether, that I tap the brakes and let her slide in. How do you do it?

Boat on the ground – ungood.

Arrow Bill,

Charlie gave me the web address of the same site you mention. I don’t think he has used one. As mentioned above, I’ll take a hard look at the idea. How long is your hitch extension?

Your experience sliding down the ramp is why I’m leery of tapping the brakes to launch the boat.

Arrow Butch,

I have never seen a front hitch. My RV is a Class C with a 2001 Ford E-450 cab. Is the bumper alone strong enough for the task?

Arrow Roger,

I took a look at your photos. The other day it was to see details of you canvas. Today to see the RV launch. Good pics and info. The trailer seems to be submerged deeper than I’ve been told to go. I’m told that if I go too deep the bow will scrape the end of the tongue crosspiece. See note to Mr. Fisherman.

George
C Spray

City/Region: Mukilteo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

You might take a look at the Hidden Hitch. Go to the next to bottom of the page and there is a listing for a front mounted receiver for the RV Cutaway Chassis. That is what your F450 chassis is. You might want to give them a call and see if it is made for your model. It is rated for 500# tongue weight. I'm sure they would have one to fit it. I know this is what my dad did with his boat on his MH for a lot of years. He almost got his MH stuck once by backing down the ramp and had to be pulled out. He decided to not do that again so hence the front mounted hitch.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

Wow, you're really getting close to D day on your new CD. You are going to love it. Congratulations!

Ok, on the launching bit. You are getting lots of good advice and the thing to do is figure out what you're comfortable with and that will come pretty quickly after you initially get you're feet wet ( no pun, errr, yeah, ok, pun intended).

Clearly with a hitch on the front of the motorhome you have a literal birds eye view of what is happening with the trailer and it is clearly an easy way to "front" a trailer down a ramp. I personally back 'em down and it has works best for me or I wouldn't still be doing it. I have a class C 29'. The ramp I use most of the time is Valdez and it has a little dog leg to it but is much better since they moved the landing craft out of the way.

When I had the '85 classic C-Dory with the flat bottom I used a bunk trailer with a extended tongue (2' longer). With the bunk trailer you have to get enough of the boat in the water to float it of or enough that with a quick application of the brakes it will slide off. In the latter case it calls for a 2nd party helping launch of course. This may be mitigated if you have slick glides on the bunk surface which allow the boat to slide off, much as it would with rollers (maybe easier). If your bunk trailer is going to have soft bunks (rugged) I would recommend the 2' extended tongue. Not neccessary but nice.

My last two trailers have been roller trailers and of course they are a little different in character.

It can be a bit of a problem keeping track of exactly where the trailer is at times but this is easily solved. The Born Free is a really nice motorhome and I know the mirrors are good. What I do is take a fiberglass rod (anything could be used and simply place it crosswise on the frame behind the rear trailer tires. I hold it there with a couple of bungee cords. I've got a brightly painted ball on the each end of fiberglass rod and it sticks out far enough from the fenders on each side that I can see both balls when I am going straight ahead or back and with that little aid you will never have to wonder where your trailer is. Flourescent tennis ball would be great but they get dirty pretty quick unless you just slapped them on for launching and retrieving.

As mentioned earlier, don't take that safety chain off at the top of the ramp! Leave it on until you're down the ramp and the boat is in, literally, launch position. Short version......make sure the water is in close proximity to the hull!

Also, I pack a pair of chocks with me which I stick behind the wheels when I step out of the motorhome to to the final launch of the CD, just as an added precaution. Never needed 'em but it give me a warm feeling.

Enjoy and best of boating with your new CD. Any other question give me a shout, if I can help add any further confusion and/or thoughts, I will.

(907_456-7306
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny,

In this picture of my trailer, the square tube beneath the tongue and running somewhat parallel to the tongue is where the extended tongue fits. The end view of the sguare tube above the rail is where the drop down wheels fit. I would say the extended tongue is approx. nine feet with a ball coupler welded to the end.

I would think any extension you bought for the purpose of launching should have an engineered connection which would support the weight of the tongue. Personally, I really like having the two additional wheels with complete hubs to get me home if something should go wrong with a wheel on the axles.

Those ramps are slippery and I've done it more than once. Knock on wood, I've never jack-knived the rig. Have it straight when you start down the ramp. The most difficult part of backing towards the ramp is when the boat is completely on the ramp while your towing vehicle is still level prior to starting down the ramp. It is difficult to see the position of the boat & trailer in regards to the dock. And that is where your trouble will start, especially if the trailer is headed for the dock.

That's what I think! Wink

Bill
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny

My folks have either a 28' or 32' Class A that they tow and launch several different boats with, both single axle and dual axle. So far they have not had any problems and from their comments the two most important reasons are: A) They work very well as a team in that they have split up the duties (backing up, attaching lines and fenders, etc) and they do not switch those duties. That way each person knows what they must do and get it done. B) Like Fishtales, they installed an aftermarket camera on the back of the motorhome (it did not come with one when they bought it). I have not used the motorhome to launch, but I have driven it several times and the camera really makes a difference!

They probably launch and retrieve at least once a week so as the saying goes, practice makes perfect. Because of their teamwork, they are usually the fastest ones in and out. Both they and the Park Rangers at the different lakes they frequent love it when the younger guys offer to help these 'poor old folks' launch or retrieve and then find out that these 'old folks' can do it on their own faster than anyone else.

One of the things I have learned from them is to practice launching your new boat on a weekday when there is little other traffic or audience around you. You can take your time then and figure out what works and what does not. If you have a partner, work out what needs to be done by whom before hand. Your partner may just be better at backing up than you are. If so, let them do it! With a motorhome, radios really do help but patience, humor and a positive attitude will make your partner much more willing to help. I cringe everytime I witness a normally nice guy (or lady) turn into a little screaming Hitler just because he's in a hurry and his partner is not doing things they way he wants. That is a great way to insure that you go boating by yourself from that point forward!

Another "Best Practice" when launching for the first time or when launching at a new ramp is to first watch others launch. Although you will learn from the ones that do it well, you'll probably learn more from the ones that do it poorly. Grab yourself a mug of good coffee and go down to that long and narrow community ramp early on a Saturday morning without your boat. Spend an hour sipping and learning. I'm amazed we don't see any launch clips on "America's Funniest Videos", I've seen more gut busting comedic acts watching people trying to show off their launching skills then any other activity that I can think of. Usually someone is trying to rush things and forgets a critical step, like putting the vehicle in park. 2nd Bite Mark's practice of putting chocks behind the wheels is one of those great ideas you see the smart ones use. I watched someone leave their vehicle in neutral and their truck went completely under water, at least the boat floated free.

Last but not least, be prepared for the questions from other people at the ramp regarding your C-Dory. These boats seem to get more than their fair share of attention. Half of the times I go out, someone wants to know more about the boat. Frequently this includes a tour of the insides and a five minute question and answer session. Remember, these boats are tough, so don't worry too much about putting your first scratch in her, she'll survive. Just look at Catman's boat, he goes out all the time and his boat looks brand new!

Look forward to seeing your photos!

"Chivita" Dave
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George-
Yes, the trailer is in the water a bit deeper than I like. The reason was that the bow roller on the trailer was below the bow eye on the boat. The bow eye was always getting hung up on the roller and I had to float the boat off. I have since replaced the bow roller on the trailer with one that is above the bow eye on the boat.

It also depends on the ramp itself. Some ramps are shallow and you need to go in deeper, some ramps are steeper and will float the boat better.
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G&P,
Excellent advice from Chivita above. Don't worry about making it look pretty or doing it quickly - that comes with repetition. A lot easier to get the hang of it when there aren't a lot of people around. Also, the only time I don't enjoy talking about the C-Dory with people who come up to ask questions is when I am in the process of launching or retrieving. I politely tell them that I will be glad to chat when I am finished.

If you want to get a front receiver hitch welded onto your frame, it should not be a problem. I had mine done by a welder in Waldorf, MD and he did a great job. I think I still have his card and will send you the info. Maneuvering the trailer from the front is much easier, especially in tight quarters.

Best wishes,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: