The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TC 255 Trailer, How "Slick" should it be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: TC 255 Trailer, How "Slick" should it be? Reply with quote

When I bought Captain's Cat, the former owner had it on the trailer. Launching for Sea Trial was easy, it slid/floated off fine. Getting it back on was another story, don't know if the ramp was a little steep but he could only get it so far up on the trailer and a tremendous amount of "winching" only brought it to within 2' or so of the "home" position. He actually brought it out of the water, on a level surface and tried winching some more. Then, Shocked he got back in his truck, moved smartly forward and slammed on the brakes. That did the trick! Rolling Eyes

The only thing I have done since then is launch it but now I need to get it back on the trailer and do the electronics installs I have to do and put in the A/C which requires a hull penetration. I could do it on my lift but it'd be awkward. I bought a bunch (!!) of THESE , and mounted two at the stern of the hull bunks.

Before I do any more, I thought I'd ask the audience, how many should I do? I have enough to do the whole darn thing (told you I bought a bunch) but don't want it sliding off on the road Cry (Yes, I do tie it down securely before I travel Thumbs Up ) nor do I want it to go all the way up the trailer when I put it on in the water and end up in the truck bed! Smile

Here's three pictures, you can see the set I've mounted so far on the stern of the trailer, I put them side by side, about 1/2" apart. Sorry for the haziness of the last one, Sally wouldn't let me open the window...

What are your opinions. C'mon, don't be shy! Teeth

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

I know very little about the subtleties of loading/unloading the Tom Cat, but many owners have apparently resolved to a usable configuration and will chime in. But why aren't you putting the slick sticks at the 'front' end of the trailer (i.e. at the V section of the bunks) where all the weight and friction is during loading/unloading? The rear shouldn't even be touching the boat while floating on/off. My 2c.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Steve, hadn't thought about that. The only two sections I've put in so far are the ones you see in the pix. Before I did any more, I wanted to ask the question....

I have enough to do the whole shebang but maybe the only place I need them is up at the "Vee" section fo the trailer? Dr Bob? Dr. John? You guys must be still in the sack or out on a "house call"!! Laughing Laughing

"Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance" (Samuel Johnson) And hopefully by Slicks too!! Wink

Charlie
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
You didn't mention it but I always back the trailer in far enough initially to get the complete bunk wet. Then pull back up to the proper loading point. The wet carpet makes it much easier to slide the boat up to the winch.

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. I'll see if I can do that. The bunks on this are pretty high off the ground and I'm afraid that, unless the ramp is pretty steep, my exhausts on the truck would be underwater Cry if I got the front of the bunks wet! Maybe not though....

Charlie
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Our EZ Loader trailer bunks are entirely covered with a slick mat, front to rear. When wet, the boat can be winched on by hand,(OOF!). What I have started doing instead of getting the truck rear brakes wet is restarting the engines and nudging the boat all the way home with the throttles. Tighten up the winch and then gently bump it the final inch in the parking lot with the brakes.

Don't worry about the exhaust being in the water, it's the brakes that don't need any salt water in them.

Launching with the slick bunks goes easily if you just tap the brakes when you see the anchor start to move lower. Safety chain is removed at the last second by the crew with an 1/8" trip line.

Hope some of this makes sense and helps. All the best,

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, it does! Did you use THESE

or something else? Are they screwed on? And, did you cover the v portion forward too and the entire width of the aft bunks?

Thanks!

Charlie
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a cat but judging by the crease in the fabric on those bunks I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have all the boats weight sitting on plastic strips rather than the softer fabric. I've thought about using something similar for my 22 but since it's not a cat the weight would be distributed more evenly. That would be my only concern about the cat and the strips. Also, you put a gap between the strips. Wouldn't the "pontoon's" edge go between them rather than sit on top? Anyway, I feel your pain as the 22' is a bear at times to get winched all the way forward. Might have to try the brake technique
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
I don't have a cat but judging by the crease in the fabric on those bunks I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have all the boats weight sitting on plastic strips rather than the softer fabric. I've thought about using something similar for my 22 but since it's not a cat the weight would be distributed more evenly. That would be my only concern about the cat and the strips. Also, you put a gap between the strips. Wouldn't the "pontoon's" edge go between them rather than sit on top? Anyway, I feel your pain as the 22' is a bear at times to get winched all the way forward. Might have to try the brake technique

Yes, there's a little "v" at the back, very shallow but a "v" nevertheless. I put the strips on either side of that so the "v" would rest in the cavity. Hopefully assist in centering although with the tunnel and that big hump in the middle of the trailer, I don't think it will be a problem! If I have a lot of strips, I think the weight will be distributed pretty well across all of them. They're pretty substantial. Still thinking about it, thanks to all for the advice!

Charlie
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "liquid rollers" or silicone spray?? (keep it simple!) Idea
C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Here's a short length of the EZ Loader bunk cover.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We considered this problem when be had our float on trailer built (supervised by Wefing's--Marc has a not of experience with other cats).

We have 8 feet of slick on the front of the bunks, and this works very well. We power on and off--little winching needed.

I would also consider putting the full width bow brace. The single pedistal is probably not enough to restrain the boat in an emergency stop. Yes, we do chain down foreward, and put the strap over the cockpit, in front of the cleats, so that it would restrain the boat from going foreward in an emergency stop.

We purchased an electric winch, but it turns out that the hand winch is fine--just to tighten up the boat.

I agree, that the aft part of the boat is floating as you load. What we have works well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'll let you know what I do, and how it works out!. May just decide to use a CH-46 and drop it on vertically! Shocked

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: