The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Erie, Trent-Severn, Rideau Canal pre-planning....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Erie, Trent-Severn, Rideau Canal pre-planning.... Reply with quote

Brat's,

I'm just beginning the pre-planning for a possible summer trip exploring the northeast canals. (Never been up that way....) Naturally I'll do numerous searches googling to gather info but if anyone has any particularly good sources or books I should consult, please sound off!

The "plan" (very loose yet) might look something like: trailer Naknek from Arizona to the westish end of the Erie Canal (Utica?)launch and explore westward to the Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay, then return to the starting point and pick up Sandy at the airport and head to Nova Scotia (maybe Newfoundland) for about a month of the hottest weather. Return to wherever I left Naknek, launch and head up the Rideau and maybe back along Champlain, Finger Lakes, or wherever (I'm not familiar with those waters [yet]).

I would hope to find an adequate place to store the truck/camper and boat trailer while on the water, and the boat & trailer while traveling farther north.

Is this tooooo much to try in one summer???

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, get yhe NYS canal corporation cruising-guide,it has pretty much all info. you need to get started,theres also plenty of guides out there also. relax ,its fun easy,well protected,lots to see & do along . i go up there 3 to 4 times per summer and have done so for years , if you have any questions be glad to help............john.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the Trent Severn last summer in Journey On. See our web site, below. We also did the Eire several years ago, in a 36' sailboat. Both trips were great. The Eire was interesting because it went through a lot of small towns that were part of the industrial revolution and also had free docking most places. Both canals had lockmasters who were very helpful. Get cruising guides for whichever canal you go through. Capn Bobs was very good for the Eire, and it may cover the Rideau.

Your plan sounds great, though the towing distance might be longer than you expect. It would be a great trip: GO!!!!

Boris
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I figure this may be a pretty layed-back trip with lots of time ashore looking around, seeing historic sites and various shops. Actually I'm kind of looking forward to it. Would a small bike be useful to take?

As for the distance - i suppose I'm pretty prepared for that, and we'll see if the mid-summer break to Newfoundland actually materialized.

...but it sounds fun!

Thanks,
Casey
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, i would bring a bike if u have room for it & a back pack,most of the small towns along the way have lots of cafe"s & resturants ,places for small supplies , but usually supermarkets can be the outskirts of town and can be along walk or a short bike ride. if u have the time u might want to check out lake champlain & the hudson river + long island sound instead of the upper st.lawrence river,not that it "s not beautiful but i found it kinda borring above sorel & less to see and do .heres a coupple books & guids that may intrest you /crusing guide to new york waterways& lake champlain by chris w brown/ cruising guide to the hudson river lake champlain and st. lawrence by alan & susan mc kibben / doziers waterway guide great lakes eddition/ & check out skipper bobs editions at skipper bob @.att.net. his guids are black & white no frills or ads reasonably priced, and pretty good , let me know if u decide to do the hudson river i'm at stony point marina about 35 miles north of nyc . ///// john
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Sandy -
Reckon you've seen it, but just a reminder about the tales we've posted on the trip you are considering -- gives a idea of what a great cruise you're considering. Cheers

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/legran.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: