a few little glitches with new C-dory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary allen

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rosy B
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: a few little glitches with new C-dory Reply with quote

We received the Rosy B, our new 22 cruiser, last week, and I have been having great fun learning systems and getting on the water for the first time this weekend. I have a couple of concerns, however, and given the collective experience of this group, I was hoping for some advice.

The first one is I choose the twin motor option (twin Honda 50's), but the dealer (Guenter's here in northern California) installed motors with the propellors rotating in the same direction. I'm a novice boater, but several folks have mentioned that there should be counter rotation. Is it a major issue? I have seen other c-dorys with twin systems that have propellors rotating in the same direction.

Second, after launching and retrieving boat two times, I noticed some major scrapes all the way through the bottom paint on both sides of the hull, towards the bow. The scrapes are just off-center of the bunks. Any theories as to the cause? Could there be a bolt head that is not countersunk under the carpet on the bunks?

Third, the blige pump is not working on the auto function, but seems to work fine manually.

I'm planning to talk to the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I might be better prepared armed with thoughts from this group.

Thanks for any help,

Gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: a few little glitches with new C-dory Reply with quote

Hey Gary - welcome to the Pub!

gary allen wrote:
The first one is I choose the twin motor option (twin Honda 50's), but the dealer (Guenter's here in northern California) installed motors with the propellors rotating in the same direction.

Normal, that's how they all are on C-Dory's. I don't even think you can get 50's spinning in opposite directions - only on larger motors.

Quote:
Could there be a bolt head that is not countersunk under the carpet on the bunks?

That, or it happened during transit to Guenters. Either way, I'd ask Guenters to take care of it when you take it in for the bilge pump problem. They're good folks - I'm sure they'll take care of you.

So - heading up to Shasta with us in October?

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, the bilge pump is fused on both the manual and auto side. I would check the fuse on the auto side. I had the same problem when I first picked up my boat.

Fred
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: a few little glitches with new C-dory Reply with quote

gary allen wrote:

The first one is I choose the twin motor option (twin Honda 50's), but the dealer (Guenter's here in northern California) installed motors with the propellors rotating in the same direction. I'm a novice boater, but several folks have mentioned that there should be counter rotation. Is it a major issue? I have seen other c-dorys with twin systems that have propellors rotating in the same direction.

Gary

Congratulations Gary on your new C-Dory. Counter rotating props in outboards under 100 HP are not available. (The outboard manufacturers just don't build them). I have twin Johnson 50's on Sea Shift and with very little practice you'll be able to spin your vessel around in its' own length without touching the steering wheel. (Just set your engines straight, put one engine in forward and one engine in reverse at roughly the same RPMs and "let 'er spin"). Smile I've found it helpful more than once in tight spots and when docking.

C-Brat #16
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
The gouges on your hull at the bow may be caused by contact with the aft end of your trailer's tongue frame member. Over submersion of your trailer bunks will allow the bow of the boat to make unpleasant contact with this frame member. The foward bunks should be no more than 50% submerged when launching and retreiving as they are designed to lift the bow away from the aft end of the tongue frame member. There is a thread under Hull and Deck Fittings called Gel Coat Repair where you will find more on this subject and how to find correct color gelcoat to make a good repair.
Levity's Michael
wilbe asea

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sunset Ride
Photos: Sunset Ride
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the trailer tongue gouging the boat, the first thing I did to my trailer was to install a roller at the aft end of the trailer tongue, I don't think I have used it but once, no evidence exists on either the boat or roller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: