The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Guest Battery Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Guest Battery Charger Reply with quote

I've had a problem with my start battery going dead lately if the boat set up for very long. My system has one start battery and two house batteries. The house batteries are wired in parallel. I've never really taken a close look at the way they were wired until today when I was trying to find out why my start battery wasn't charing from shore power. It charges fine from the engine. Well here's what I found. A fuse was missing from one of the charger outputs so I put one in and then noticed that instead of the outputs from the charger being tied to the batteries they were all tied together on a stud on the load side of the 1,2,all, off switch. Somehow this just doesn't seem right. Wired this way in order to charge from shore power you must have the switch on. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm thinking that the charging sequence wouldn't work properly with all three outputs tied together. The charger is the standard Guest 5/5/10 charger the factory puts in. Any thoughts?
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same charger, but it is not wired that way. Mine is wired directly to the batteries. The batteries will charge regardless of the battery switch position. The 10amp output goes to the start and both 5amps go to the house battery (I have only one house battery).

If you look in the Guest owners manual, you will find that it is ok to combine the two 5amp outputs, but the 5amp outputs should not be combined with the 10amp output. I think you need to wire it straight to the batteries - 10 amp to the start and 5amp to each house battery, since the house batteries are in parallel.

Out of curiousity, where are your batteries stored? Are they all in the lazarettes? I am thinking of adding a second house battery.

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct way to wire the battery charger is directly to the batteries. You want a fuse in line within 7" of the batteries. (There should be a breaker on the battery charger). On twin engine boats, the Battery charger should be 5 amps each engine start battery and the 10 amps to the house battery.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Guest info and I think I will redo mine as yours is.

My start battery is in the starboard lazarette and the two house batteries are in the port lazarette. I'm considering moving the house batteries to below the stove. I'd have to change to AGM batteries because of the fumes. With the two batteries in the port lazarette it puts to much weight on the port side. Especially if you are carrying a full port fuel and water tank.

Last edited by marvin4239 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob thats what I thought just thought there was something I was overlooking. I have the fuses the wires just don't terminate at the batteries. I'll be redoing it tommorrow.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Guest ??? Reply with quote

I have a Guest 5/5 charger, twin 40 Yamahas and 2 batteries, set up one in each lazarette. I would like to find a manual for the charger. It did not come with the other papers on the boat and I would like to know more about how it works.

Anyone have a source for Guest Charger manuals?

Thanks,
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.guestco.com/ www.guestco.com/ ·and the manual is downloadable.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

HERE's the Guest website page on a 10 amp (5+5) battery charger. The manual is at the bottom of the page (PDF file)

If this isn't the right model, you can find it on their site.

Many manufacturer's are including their owners manuals on line for their owner's convenience that lose theirs.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: