The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sealing Holes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Sealing holes Reply with quote

Peter,

Good luck with your project. Someplace way back when I remember reading about a product that was used for what you are doing, (sealing of the balsa core) and if I remember right it is called penetrating resin. It is very thin, soaks into the core and prevents any further incursion by liquid. Sorry I don't have the source, and I guess I am surprised that it wasn't brought up by those here that are much more adept at this sort of work than I am.. Maybe it's need or function is superseded by the 4200?
Seems it was put into the holes, after they were enlarged under the lip of the fiberglass skin. Then the hole was filled with a bedding compound and redrilled. Sure hope that can be of help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Harvey-

The product Harvey was talking about is called Git Rot. (Notice the spelling.)

Here's link to a Google search on Git Rot.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey and Joe. I actually went with MarineTex to seal the holes. Since it was a little cold overnight, it took awhile to cure. That's ok, I just went onto my shore power project while waiting for the MarineTex to cure in the gorgeous sunny weather.

I ended up redrilling the holes and then generously laid down Sikaflex 291, a bedding compound, for the radar arch. You had to be Hercules to push that stuff out of the cartridge with a standard caulking gun. But I think I got the feet of the Radar Arch bedded down real good this time. Plus I have the piece of mind that the balsa core is sealed in case any water gets in. But I seriously doubt it, I think I did it right this time. Thumbs Up

As for anticipated problem of removing radar arch from the roof because I used 5200, not a problem. Apparently, I used very little 5200, I guess I rushed the whole job last spring so there was hardly any sealant. The arch came right off, apparently it didn't bond at all. No wonder the darn thing leaked! Cry Oh well, live and learn. I feel real good about the job I did today.

Peter
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Way to Go Peter Reply with quote

Peter, Sounds like you are doing it really right this time. Good on ya'. We'll be anxious to see it sometime. Mr. Green

Joe, Thanks for the help with the name (Git Rot). You are really a great resource on this site. Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: