View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Antenna Slivers Reply with quote

OUCH! Smile Made the mistake of sliding my hand down the radio antenna yesterday and was impaled by several (no-se-um) fiberglass slivers. Sad I know..Dumb thing to do. Embarrased I'm thinking of painting the antenna with white epoxy. Anyone have any other suggestions, other than $80 bucks for a new antenna? Wink
Jack
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass Antenna Slivers Reply with quote

Capn Jack wrote:
OUCH! Smile Made the mistake of sliding my hand down the radio antenna yesterday and was impaled by several (no-se-um) fiberglass slivers. Sad I know..Dumb thing to do. Embarrased I'm thinking of painting the antenna with white epoxy. Anyone have any other suggestions, other than $80 bucks for a new antenna? Wink
Jack

Been there & done that. I replaced mine with a urethane coated one. The epoxy mite be the ticket. Mr. Green Beer
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Jack-

I don't see why the epoxy wouldn't work, as it would be transparent to the radio waves received and transmitted in the antenna.

The only question might be if the epoxy is flexible enough to withstand the constant bending of the antenna. The bending could cause the paint to loose its adhesion on the antenna as the antenna bends, becoming longer on one side and shorter on the other. Result: loose paint that separates from the antenna. (This is what is already going on to develop the loose shards.)

When they paint wood, fiberglass, and aluminum sailboard/sailboat masts, they usually use a linear polyurethane (LPU) paint. Because of it's linear molecular structure, it stretches with the bending of the spar much better than other paints.

The question would be if you could find a LPU paint in a convenient size and form. Most of the LPU paints are two -part paints that are mixed before spraying and setting up, and fairly toxic if inhaled. What you need is a single part paint already loaded into a spray can that doesn't require fancy spray equipment or application. I'd try several paint stores, including some very knowledgeable boat repair outfits that work on masts.

Another simpler idea would be to put shrink tubing on the antenna instead of paint.

You might have to use two or three graduated sizes and overlap them a bit, but it would be an easy out if you can't get the right paint easily. You can get shrink tubing at electronic outfits like Radio Shack and automotive supply houses. Use a hair blow dryer if you don't have a heat gun.

I've also just used clear Tygon tubing to cover the lower section(s) of an antenna, if the upper sections won't be handled.

I've also used tape to spiral wrap an antenna, but in the long run, the adhesion isn't so good and it adds quite a bit of wind resistance and weight to the antenna. The self-adhesive or self-amalgamating tapes used to wrap spreaders on sailboats would work well here too, except for the added wind resistance and weight.

One more idea: Find the Shakespeare or another manufacturers website and get the phone number of their technical representative and ask him/her about this problem and how best to take care of it. Probably asked daily.

Hope this helps in giving you some ideas to use/think about!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Capn Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Great Idea Reply with quote

JOE ! Heat Shrink...What a Great Idea. Thumbs Up My imagination is running wild. Smile Eight feet of different colors, or Blue and White to match the boat. CoolSmile Good indoor project too. Thumbs Up Thanks I knew someone would come up with something unique. Wink Jack
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Jack,
I will beat Dog on Dory to it and suggest that you just quit running your hand down your antenna. LOL. Or maybe coat it with epoxy designed for fishing rods. It is flexible and has UV inhibitors.

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH is right.

I did that with with an old ham antenna many years ago. I found a very simple and inexpensive fix to this.

I bought a 14oz. can of KRYLON, 'Crystal Clear' acrylic spray coating, # 1303, at a craft store for $4.29. This stuff dries very fast and protects against the elements extremely well. I used this to coat[3 coats] an aluminum, ham antenna [MOSLEY, TA-33], that I placed on my tower in 1979. When I took this down and gave it away last spring, to my surprise it looked like new; especially since I am only 6 mile from the coast. It is now back in service on another tower without any needed maintenance/parts.

I have used this spray on all my marine antennas, the oldest was from my 1988 [SeaRay] boat. This antenna is still as fresh as when I first coated it.

The KRYLON is designed as a permanent protective coating for finished water colors, charcoal, pencil and color ink renderings. It appears to be moisture proof. I have used it on maps, also. It is somewhat flexible, though I would not expect it to keep its properties if the material/paper were folded. A little goes a LONG way.

This is one of those items that would fall into a <$20, in this case <$10, idea to keep around that shop.

I hope this helps extend the life of an otherwise working antenna.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy under coat is used as a primer, and is often used as a filler on boats before they are painted. There is no problem with flexability. Also some antennas are epoxy coated as the primary coating and potting. However epoxy has to be coated with an UV resistant material. Any paint will do.

I think that sliding heat shink tubing etc down the antenna will be fairly tacky--in more ways than one when the UV gets to it....

The problem is that once the slivers begin to form, the glass has unbonded with the resin. Probably an epoxy coating first to reseal the tubing is the best plan (this can be brushed, and then sanded. Trying to sand the splinters will just make it worse. After epoxy coating (and you could put a little Cabosil in the epoxy as a thickener, you can paint it with the paint of choice--such as "Easypoxy", Toplac, etc. You can also use a spray primer, but the epoxy brushed on will work better to seal the glass slivers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good product is the stuff (cant remember the name) that is used to coat tool handles. its a liquid soft plastic. you can get it in a can and paint it on. That way you would have a full thick covering that will not crack when the antenna moves.
Capn Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: WOW ! Overwhelming Reply with quote

Thank You all for the overwhelming number of replies and darn good ones, Thumbs Up but I've decided to go with Joe's (Sea Wolf) Heat Shrink idea. Wink Pocket Yacht is now sporting a matching Baby Blue radio antenna to go with the hull trim. CoolSmile Most of the suggestions I received will not be wasted though, as I also have the same problem on two other antennae and it will be more economical to paint them with something rather than use heat shrink. Thumbs Up C-Brats Thumbs Up
Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: